Author Topic: Weatherlink.com 2.0 announced  (Read 40979 times)

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Weatherlink.com 2.0 announced
« Reply #100 on: December 29, 2017, 01:54:51 PM »
how many records in the binary file (i.e how many pages of 52 byte data (i.e history) would be expected in a upload?

Sorry, no real idea, except to guess that the obvious answer is one at a time (ie one per minute).

If the assumption is that the upload packet format is identical to the archive packet then there must be some way that WLC distinguishes current conditions packets from 'real' archive packets that are uploaded hourly, because the the archive packets could theoretically comprise up to 2560 records (ie the logger capacity).

But it's all a bit moot isn't it (except in the sense of general interest)? Can't see any way that Davis are going to permit uploads from any software source other than WL itself - WLC is presumably intended as a showcase for Davis stations and not open to other brands.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #101 on: December 29, 2017, 02:21:33 PM »
I have heard rumours that they might open it up via an api in the middle of next year
at least I have figured out how to get history data downloads working from weatherlink.com

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #102 on: December 29, 2017, 02:29:05 PM »
I thought that new API was for downloads rather than uploads BICBW. They need a new download API anyway because WLC2 obviously caters for EM systems as well as Vue/VP2 (and presumably, potentially, for whatever next-VP2 might be) and so the new API needs to be hugely more flexible than the existing one (which it is, downloading as a CSV).
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 04:45:28 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Swannie

• Swannie, Ex Lab Rat from Sunny South Africa
« Reply #103 on: December 29, 2017, 04:30:02 PM »
405: Method Not Allowed.

This is the message I get each time I try to safe South Africa as my country. After saving it pops up with a new Login, with all the details filled in, but when I click Login the Message on top opens in a new window.

Whats wrong with my settings?
Retired Analytical Chemist.
Precision. Precision. Precision
Davis Vantage VUE

Offline Swannie

« Reply #104 on: December 29, 2017, 05:03:50 PM »
[Is there a way to change that (make it less frequent)?  I know my feelings are off-norm here, but I would be happy with every 5 minutes.  Why waste the bandwidth, if I don't personally need it?]

Open WeatherLink 6.03 and under Setup, Internet Settings are Profiles. Select 1 and change the update time to what you want

No, that doesn't work (for the uploads to WeatherLink.com).  There's no profile for the WeatherLink.com upload.

For we the new users with data loggers the only means of communication to WeatherLink is through 6.03 The new WeatherLink 2.0 has to communicate through 6.03 therefore My believe is that in 6.03 is the only way you can choose the update intervals
Davis Vantage VUE

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #105 on: December 29, 2017, 05:04:12 PM »
on a side note, I did setup a new station, for my IP data logger
and that worked
but after I powered down my console with the IP data logger after letting it run for a bit, now when I go  to view that data, selecting that station in the drop down, I just get taken to the default davis data instead and when I try to edit that station in the setup, it says not found
is the free basic setup not allowed to have more than 1 station?
also when I try to setup again it says that the DID is already registered
ps has anyone tried to use wireshark to monitor what an IP data logger sends?

I take that back now my 2nd station IP data logger is there...maybe there was some glitch
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 05:07:27 PM by waiukuweather »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #106 on: December 29, 2017, 05:42:12 PM »
[Is there a way to change that (make it less frequent)?  I know my feelings are off-norm here, but I would be happy with every 5 minutes.  Why waste the bandwidth, if I don't personally need it?]

Open WeatherLink 6.03 and under Setup, Internet Settings are Profiles. Select 1 and change the update time to what you want

No, that doesn't work (for the uploads to WeatherLink.com).  There's no profile for the WeatherLink.com upload.

For we the new users with data loggers the only means of communication to WeatherLink is through 6.03 The new WeatherLink 2.0 has to communicate through 6.03 therefore My believe is that in 6.03 is the only way you can choose the update intervals

Have you actually tried it, or are you just "believing"?

I have a serial/USB logger, and WeatherLink 6.0.3, and registered with WeatherLink.com, and there is no "profile" for the uploads to WeatherLink.com. 

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #107 on: December 29, 2017, 05:43:52 PM »
weatherlink 6.03 can be set to upload to weatherlink.com
I have that working here
(when using a USB (or serial) data logger)

Offline Swannie

« Reply #108 on: December 29, 2017, 05:51:14 PM »
I never before had a DID and Key, so with the new Weatherlink 2.0 I got those from them and the only place to put it was in 6.03 and it works,  ](*,)
Davis Vantage VUE

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #109 on: December 29, 2017, 05:59:19 PM »
weatherlink 6.03 can be set to upload to weatherlink.com
I have that working here
(when using a USB (or serial) data logger)

If that was a reply to what I posted .......................... DUH!

I know that.  I have it working.  Do you have a "Profile" for the upload to WeatherLink.com, so that you could change the upload interval if you wished to do so?

Swannie said:

That doesn't work (for weatherlink.com) for me.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #110 on: December 29, 2017, 06:11:58 PM »
no need to duh me
it was not very clear,
 you seemed to be making out it was not possible to upload to weatherlink.com with weatherlink 6.03
no, there is no way to change the upload interval

calling it a profile or not is irrelevant
why try to argue with someone about that?
just simply say there is no way to change the upload interval

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #111 on: December 29, 2017, 08:17:34 PM »
one thing too about the new weatherlink.com 2.0 web site
it seems that the barometer graph only updates ever hour (even though it then shows the new data points over that hour when it updates)

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #112 on: December 29, 2017, 08:28:25 PM »
no need to duh me

just simply say there is no way to change the upload interval

As johnd said in Reply #86. 

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #113 on: December 29, 2017, 09:01:30 PM »
re the only showing new data on the hour for weatherlink.com 2.0
is that just when using the basic features (i.e not paying a monthly fee) ?

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #114 on: December 29, 2017, 09:44:57 PM »
sorry for all the questions
so, will weatherlink.com 1.0 xml data keep on being available going forward (using your normal username)?

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #115 on: December 29, 2017, 10:55:57 PM »
sorry for all the questions
so, will weatherlink.com 1.0 xml data keep on being available going forward (using your normal username)?

No, once all 1.0 sites are transferred then 1.0 will be shutdown

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #116 on: December 29, 2017, 11:07:53 PM »
oh
because the problem is, the xml data feed from the 2.0 data,  does not seem to be working

Offline frimmel

« Reply #117 on: December 30, 2017, 02:46:17 AM »
 S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #118 on: December 30, 2017, 04:05:10 AM »
because the problem is, the xml data feed from the 2.0 data,  does not seem to be working

I think this was discussed upthread (or maybe in a related thread). Requests for an XML response are still recognised by WLC2 but the response doesn't seem to be populated with actual data.

AFAIK the XML interface was only ever unofficial (or maybe provisional or unsupported is a better word), eg it was never included as an official method in the Serial Tech Ref document in the same way Web Download is. So I wouldn't be surprised to see it disappear, but who knows? Don't people use JSON these days anyway, rather than XML?

But somewhere in the WLC2 announcements there's mention of a future feature to allow users to build their own web page presentation, so this will possibly (depending on exactly how it's implemented) need a data feed of some kind, which I guess could be a JSON object. But who knows when that feature might appear - the developers are probably quite busy at present finishing off the initial features, organising the migration, squashing bugs etc  and details like format, frequency, possible cost etc are 100% unclear. So it's probably a feature for WLC2.1 or some such designation and maybe not expected for 6-12 months.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #119 on: December 30, 2017, 01:52:40 PM »
well that is a shame, as the xml data feed was a nice way to get data every minute
the web download is only updated every hour (the 52 byte data record) by the looks (presumably that was the same with the 1.0 version too?)

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
« Reply #120 on: December 31, 2017, 04:01:51 AM »

I think this was discussed upthread (or maybe in a related thread). Requests for an XML response are still recognised by WLC2 but the response doesn't seem to be populated with actual data.

AFAIK the XML interface was only ever unofficial (or maybe provisional or unsupported is a better word), eg it was never included as an official method in the Serial Tech Ref document in the same way Web Download is. So I wouldn't be surprised to see it disappear, but who knows? Don't people use JSON these days anyway, rather than XML?

But somewhere in the WLC2 announcements there's mention of a future feature to allow users to build their own web page presentation, so this will possibly (depending on exactly how it's implemented) need a data feed of some kind, which I guess could be a JSON object. But who knows when that feature might appear - the developers are probably quite busy at present finishing off the initial features, organising the migration, squashing bugs etc  and details like format, frequency, possible cost etc are 100% unclear. So it's probably a feature for WLC2.1 or some such designation and maybe not expected for 6-12 months.

Maybe for sellers of Davis equipment it is not a big deal, maybe neither for people using wl.com as their only web-presence.

But there are numerous users who bought a WLIP
1.  to upload to wl.com
AND
2. who use that wl.com data (xml) to get the weather-data to their site.

WLIP  is far more extensive compared to a Davis USB logger.  But with wl.com 1.0 that higher price included the upload and data storage at WL.com.
Especially in rural areas where it is not easy to have a PC-like device 24/7 doing those upload tasks. In the past I often advised to use a WL-IP as that device gives you multiple upload-paths to the web.  At least 2 different paths: Most owners of a WL-IP I am aware of use another weather-program  and most of those programs  (WD Cumulus a.s.o.) allow the WLIP to continue to upload to wl.com also. And 3 different upload-paths when using a MB with a WLIP, it allows the use of one other weather-program concurrently.

I myself use a WL-IP as a WU upload and backup device, although the normal website uploads are done with a MB. Only 1 setting switches immediately the website-data  from WL.com to MB and vice-versa.

If Davis is really going to drop the xml feed, the current WLIP + XML users have to find another solution, such as a Meteobridge?

For new users: Buying a WLIP today will give you a nice website where you can have  a "look only to"  view of your data. Nice but useless if you want your own website, f.i. if you want to see yesterdays weather-values such min-max temps, amount of rain. Weatherlink -> Weatherlink.com does not store yesterdays values. Never did and 6.0.3 is the final release, never will.

Just some calculations for new buyers of a Davis logger who do not "need to have" wl.com 2.0:
WLIP 280€ versus USB 160€ = -/- 120€. Davis to "clone" logger another 60€ in the pocket?.
Meteobridge DIY costs less than 100€, Meteobridge ready made 130€
And do you really need that expensive console+logger?  Or is a Meteostick+MB, or Mesteostick-Raspb or MB-Pro-red a better solution?

A lot of "better" (=debatable) choices, so in my opinion, Davis should continue to supply the wl.com aggregated weather-values. And it does not matter if it is json or xml, that difference is a 1 or 2 lines in a script change only.
Data in EXCEL type csv format is useless as that is only a list of past weather-measurements every so many minutes, no aggregated data.

Wim
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 04:38:36 AM by wvdkuil »

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #121 on: December 31, 2017, 06:04:38 AM »
I could make several comments here, but to cut things short:

To be clear, I'm all in favour of Davis making WLC2 as flexible and open as possible, but exactly how far Davis go in this regard is obviously up to them.

But the key point is as per the image here in a FAQ line. I still don't know what 'by Q2' means in practice - whether this is April 1st or June 30th - probably the latter I'd guess. But clearly something is planned and this should allay your concerns in principle, though whether it will deliver exactly what you want is tricky to know in advance.

Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Swannie

« Reply #122 on: December 31, 2017, 09:52:53 AM »
Since I installed the free version of WLC2, I was trying to figure out what is the benefit for me uploading my data from my Davis Vantage VUE to Davis's website and up to now I could not find any. When I bought in in 2014 along with an USB data logger and the WeatherLink 6.03 software, I was required to pay to upload my data. Then finding WeatherUnderground for free without adverts if I'm a contributor and the benefit of having a great Forecaster I was happy and go lucky. Weatherlink's map is only to find other Davis owners updating to there website and I already have that in Wunderground. So if I'm missing something somewhere along the line Please help me out
Davis Vantage VUE

Offline Swannie

« Reply #123 on: December 31, 2017, 12:00:39 PM »
Along with a question that popped earlier in connection to the update intervals to WL 2, my thoughts were that it was regulated by WL 6.03, but then another question came up with me: If I enable real time mode, which were unavailable before WL 2 ID, where does that go to, and as non ascriber to WeatherLink, why do the take more data than what they are willing to show me in graphs etc
Davis Vantage VUE

Offline Swannie

« Reply #124 on: December 31, 2017, 01:48:12 PM »
Okay, I'm sorry I was wrong stating that Real time Mode in WL 6.03 did not work without a WL ID, but where does this data then go to, because in my WunderGround module I selected 1 min update intervals?
Davis Vantage VUE

anything