Author Topic: Spring/Summer '19  (Read 24405 times)

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
Re: Spring/Summer '19
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2019, 04:15:33 PM »
Unique change in severe weather forecast for central Oklahoma Wednesday morning. The change is in the way the low is ejecting into the plains will result in nearly guaranteed severe storm development across NW Oklahoma and S & E Oklahoma, leaving a potential hole in the middle of Oklahoma.  Tuesday night, Aaron Tuttle was on Facebook saying he saw weakness in the model data over central Oklahoma and said the change would likely happen and boasted that it did this morning as pictured below.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2019, 05:50:20 PM »
Unique change in severe weather forecast for central Oklahoma Wednesday morning. The change is in the way the low is ejecting into the plains will result in nearly guaranteed severe storm development across NW Oklahoma and S & E Oklahoma, leaving a potential hole in the middle of Oklahoma.  Tuesday night, Aaron Tuttle was on Facebook saying he saw weakness in the model data over central Oklahoma and said the change would likely happen and boasted that it did this morning as pictured below.

Well the "hole" is for the wind and hail threat, however, the tornado threat encompasses that.
https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day1otlk.html

Offline andyk1

• Contributor
    • Nicoma Park Weather
« Reply #77 on: April 18, 2019, 10:38:09 PM »
An Enhanced Risk of Severe Thunderstorms is Forecast Today and/or Tonight
Severe thunderstorms capable of tornadoes, large hail, and damaging gusts are possible across portions of the Mid South today through the early evening. A strong tornado is possible from the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers southward into parts of northern Mississippi and northwest Alabama.

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day1otlk.html

Oh goody.

If you dig a little deeper in NOAA's site you'll see we are at the end of the suns 11 year cycle and returning to milder season. When that will starts I am wondering. Where I am from, we are on track for normal rainfall and are at about 102% of normal. Hopefully a milder summer.

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2019, 06:23:49 PM »
Normal average precipitation for county
March: 1.93"
April :  2.32"

Precipitation Received to Date (Reported to CoCoRaHS)
March and April: 1.63"
Below average to date: 2.62"

I am not liking what I see, though it is early to reach any conclusions.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2019, 06:36:37 PM »
Yup, been to 98F and 2% humidity today. Winter has obviously taken a hike. [tup]

Offline andyk1

• Contributor
    • Nicoma Park Weather
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2019, 09:07:43 PM »
Where are you seeing this?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2019, 10:39:46 PM »
Where are you seeing this?
Tucson.

Offline andyk1

• Contributor
    • Nicoma Park Weather
« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2019, 03:03:24 AM »
I read California filled up most of it's reservoirs to capacity this past winter alone. First time since 2011. They have had a rough couple last few years.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #83 on: April 20, 2019, 06:35:15 AM »
Precip ABOVE normal

Jan 1.10
Feb 6.51
Mar 2.71
Apr 2.27 (So Far)

Total Precip:

Jan  4.78
Feb  10.42
Mar  6.64
Apr  5.14

Don't talk to me about not enough rain!!!!   I'll be grumbling about it by August probably.

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #84 on: April 20, 2019, 08:15:09 AM »
Precip ABOVE normal

Jan 1.10
Feb 6.51
Mar 2.71
Apr 2.27 (So Far)

Total Precip:

Jan  4.78
Feb  10.42
Mar  6.64
Apr  5.14

Don't talk to me about not enough rain!!!!   I'll be grumbling about it by August probably.

Feast or famine. I just don't enjoy the famine at all.

Offline andyk1

• Contributor
    • Nicoma Park Weather
« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2019, 09:08:16 PM »
Wow Dr Robert's. I am from Oklahoma and surprised that your below normal. Having watched the weather in the Midwest I remember seeing you in Kansas having a lot more severe weather than we have had South of you. I know Wichita would get the storm systems heading north of us and building in intensity as they went by us. We are also below normal in severe weather such as Tornado's. We have had some but nowhere as severe as other parts of the country.

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2019, 09:30:09 PM »
 Well, that was stimulating. A bit of a surprise severe thunderstorm. Gust 61 mph on the VP2 and blowing dust. Visibility 1/8 mile for bit. Nasty stuff.

Not much rain, maybe a few hundredths, but thankfully no hail.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2019, 05:55:07 PM »
99F so far today and just turned on the a/c for the first time this year. Don't recall waiting this late before.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2019, 07:05:28 AM »
It's late April, almost May and they're still using the 'S' word for too many places:

" Late season accumulating snow is expected on the northern edge of the precipitation with several inches of
snow likely from southern Minnesota to near the greater Chicago area, with winter storm warnings in effect for parts of these areas.  In the warm sector of this low, scattered showers and storms are likely across parts of Oklahoma, Arkansas, and northern Texas, with some severe storms possible.

Towards Saturday night and Sunday, a second storm system organizes over the Rockies and western High Plains in response to a closed upper level low.  This will likely result in heavy mountain snow across western Montana and extending eastward across parts of North Dakota"

https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/hpcdiscussions.php?disc=pmdspd

Offline Jasiu

• Forecaster
    • LexMAWeather
« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2019, 08:17:28 AM »
Hey everyone, a favor to ask...

These seasonal threads are full of reports of heat, snow, severe weather, etc. but for many of them, I'm not sure where you are.

If you don't mind, and haven't done so already, would you consider going into your profile (top of page, Profile -> Forum Profile) and fill in the "Location" field?

Thanks!
https://lexmaweather.info
On Mastodon: @LexMAWeather@toot.community

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #90 on: April 29, 2019, 02:46:05 PM »
April is about done. These are my highs and lows for Phillips County, KS

Max Temperature 89 F  2 dates
Min  Temperature 20 F

Precipitation    .22" (CoCoRaHS)
Normal Avrg  2.32"

Max Wind Gust  61 mph

Max Pressure 30.27"
Min Pressure  29.22"

Offline Jasiu

• Forecaster
    • LexMAWeather
« Reply #91 on: April 29, 2019, 05:42:05 PM »
Boston has set a new record for number of days with precipitation in a month - 20. Not just for April, but for any month since record keeping started.

And we ain't done with it yet.

Overall, the amounts haven't been spectacular, but we're above average and tree pollen allergy sufferers are getting a bit of a break.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #92 on: April 29, 2019, 06:51:58 PM »
Boston has set a new record for number of days with precipitation in a month - 20. Not just for April, but for any month since record keeping started.

Seems odd for a coastal area.  I'm a long ways inland and I've had a few stretches of 30 days or longer, a couple of 40 day stretches with only one or two missing.

Offline Jasiu

• Forecaster
    • LexMAWeather
« Reply #93 on: April 29, 2019, 07:12:03 PM »
'Tis true though.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #94 on: April 30, 2019, 03:44:41 PM »
Just saw some really cool footage of a small tornado in OK taken by a drone on TWC. Great vantage point! I'm sure they'll show it again.

Offline AWL

• Forecaster
    • Ardmore Weather Live
« Reply #95 on: April 30, 2019, 05:00:58 PM »
Five tornado warning visible on the Norman radar as I type this ](*,) Still clear across Southern Oklahoma at least for now.

Doug

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #96 on: April 30, 2019, 10:32:40 PM »
Stillwater was blessed to be spared from the worst effects of Tuesday's storms.  The southeast part of my county in Cushing had a minor tornado with two companies getting  damage.  The rainfall here, so far, hasn't been super generous but has been so for Tulsa, where much of that city has had 2 to 5+ inches of rain.  Tonight, as I write this, I thought the rain was over for Stillwater, but new rain clouds with thunder have formed overhead.

Rainfall amounts in Oklahoma, so far.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 10:42:19 PM by Bunty »

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #97 on: May 01, 2019, 06:26:17 PM »
Some tropical moisture making its way up the Florida peninsula the next 2 days. Nothing major but hurricane season is just a month away.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #98 on: May 01, 2019, 09:00:14 PM »
Interesting side note in bold.

April 2019 Climate Review: Temperatures averaged above normal by around 1 to 2 degrees. Temperatures reached 80 degrees 7 times in Paducah and 4 times in Evansville. The last freeze of the season occurred on April 15th in several locations, including in Paducah. This was around a week or so later than usual. However, other locations, like Evansville observed their last freeze on April 1st.

The month was wetter than normal across much of the region. Amounts of 5 to 6 inches were common, along with some locally higher amounts. The corridor that experienced the wettest conditions, relative to normal, were across portions of southeast Missouri, southern Illinois, and southwest Indiana.

The lack of severe thunderstorms was the big story line for the month. Typically the peak of our severe weather season begins in April. However, that wasn’t the case this year. Our office only issued 2 severe thunderstorm warnings the entire month. For comparison, we had never issued fewer than 10 in any April since 1995, which was the year our office spun up.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #99 on: May 02, 2019, 06:26:14 AM »
Tied short station history on number freeze days in a season 25° this morning.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Randy

anything