Author Topic: Just bought the AcuRite Iris (5-in-1) 01151M. Display and App discrepancies  (Read 2165 times)

Offline MarkHarris71

Hi.
After buying and returning a La Crosse, I decided to buy this Acurute unit.  I am planning to add the lighting sensor as well.
Any tips or suggestions you want to share? This is my first weather station ever!
Thanks
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 02:38:12 PM by MarkHarris71 »

Offline jb510

• Wandering Jon
Re: Just bought the AcuRite Iris (5-in-1) 01151M. Any tips you can share?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 10:18:03 PM »
Sorry I don't have any tips, but I'll be very interested in how you like it.

I'm debating between the Ambient WS-2000 and an AcuRite Iris 01544 (the cheap direct wi-fi display model) and an AcuRite Iris (01208M
 HD wi-fi direct model).

There is surprisingly little on these forums written about the Iris series at all.

Offline MarkHarris71

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 10:19:45 AM »
Well it will be my first weather station so with no experience my feedback may not be very valuable but I will report back :)

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 10:50:38 AM »
Sorry I don't have any tips, but I'll be very interested in how you like it.

I'm debating between the Ambient WS-2000 and an AcuRite Iris 01544 (the cheap direct wi-fi display model) and an AcuRite Iris (01208M
 HD wi-fi direct model).

There is surprisingly little on these forums written about the Iris series at all.

The Iris use to be known as just the 5-1 system . So if you look for the keywords 5-1 you will find tons of info on here .

I run both the 5-1 and the Atlas  7-1 . I have no idea why Acurite changed the name to the Iris I guess they thought it was cooler than the 5-1 . So if you have any question I or others on here will try and answer them .

« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 10:58:10 AM by Mabcmb »

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 11:11:42 AM »
I would be certain the installation is sturdy, so that the rain gauge will not tip in high winds, and also that the anemometer will turn like it should. If it is not level, I have noticed the wind cups will stick in light wind. I would mount the sensor as high as possible, but be aware, if there are any trees around, the rain gauge will need to be cleaned more frequently, so you will want to make getting to the sensor as easy as possible. I also recommend after the first year, taking the sensor apart, until you get to the fan motor, and add some lube to it. This may be more difficult for some than others, so only attempt if you are good at breaking things down and servicing them.

Offline MarkHarris71

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2021, 11:25:49 AM »
Thank you for the info, DoctorKnow!

Offline MarkHarris71

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 10:17:48 AM »
So far so good. I got everything to connect easily unlike the La Crosse I tried before which was never able to connect to my 2.4Ghz network. Of course, this one is wired with the HUB so kind of easier that way lol
One thing I didn't know is that you cannot see the display temp probe (its in my office/pc room) from the APP. So when using the app, I can only see the 5-1, the lighting sensor, and my extra sensor (basement).
Does anyone know if there is a way for this by any chance?

PS we are under some strong winter storm so I have not been able to connect the 5-1 outdoors yets.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2021, 02:12:13 PM »
The only way I know of to see the room temp from the display online is through a meteobridge. Some of the other software like Vis Reader or Weewx might let you also, but I don't know for sure.

Offline MarkHarris71

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2021, 02:29:42 PM »
I see. Oh well, I can always just get a cheap sensor if I really want to know the room temp but kind of an odd thing to miss.

Offline wpfreeman

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2021, 01:36:06 PM »
Mark, I've had a 5-in-1 w/ color display for 5 years.  It worked fine, but it had one serious weakness:  the display's LCD characters can be fried quickly by static electricity.  Here in the Southwest it is really dry in the winter to the point that I walk around the house absent-mindedly, but intentionally, touching doorknobs and light switches just to keep my "zap load" down. 

I have rendered the display unreadable twice by touching it with a good zap.  The first time, I called AcuRite and whined enough to get a warranty replacement. The second time (about 2 weeks ago), I gave up and ordered a new Atlas with the 06061M display.  I don't know if the newer versions of my old display are better at shedding static ... I hope they are.  Be careful.

Also, the solar cells on the outdoor unit seem to be delaminating somewhat after 5 years of baking the high altitude SW sun.  They seem to still work fine though.

Now, off to the garage to design a Faraday Cage for the new display so I don't 3-peat that static adventure ... 

Offline MarkHarris71

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2021, 01:39:30 PM »
Oh thanks a lot for that tip cause I am in Utah which is VERY dry during Winter as well so I am constantly doing the same thing to discharge myself with doorknobs and light switches (even though those tend to be VERY sparky lol)

Offline MarkHarris71

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2021, 02:37:43 PM »
So I am not sure what is happening but I have my Android app and browser showing Light Snow (as it is happening right now) yet my display shows nothing like that currently.

Any ideas?

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2021, 03:10:53 PM »
So I am not sure what is happening but I have my Android app and browser showing Light Snow (as it is happening right now) yet my display shows nothing like that currently.

Any ideas?
My guess ... Snow that had accumulated in the rain bucket began to melt triggering the rain gauge tripping mechanism. App registered it as snow because of the temperature.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline MarkHarris71

Re: Just bought the AcuRite Iris (5-in-1) 01151M. Display and App discrepancies
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2021, 04:38:09 PM »
The thing is was not much snow, very light and not even accumulating on surfaces and nothing accumulated on the unit so I was a bit disappointed about it..oh well, lets see the next one and see how it reports.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 04:40:23 PM by MarkHarris71 »

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2021, 06:37:59 PM »
The thing is was not much snow, very light and not even accumulating on surfaces and nothing accumulated on the unit so I was a bit disappointed about it..oh well, lets see the next one and see how it reports.
That information (light snow) doesn't come from your station. Here is what Acurite says, "The Current Weather Condition is based on the address location or Postal Code set in the profile of the Connection Device. The information is provided by our partner Dark Sky."
Here is a link to their support site. https://support.acurite.com/hc/en-us/articles/360021588553-Your-Dashboard

Offline MarkHarris71

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2021, 06:41:43 PM »
But if I read correctly the forecast comes from Dark Sky for the app and the Display so why not showing the same thing?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 06:52:49 PM by MarkHarris71 »

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2021, 07:33:40 PM »
Hi Mark, I'm curious which 5 in 1 (Iris) unit you have and how you connect to the internet.

I have a 5in1 that I purchased back in 2016. I really enjoyed it so year later I bought a second one to get another display (and have some spare parts, which so far I haven't needed).

I connect to the internet via an Access. My displays only receive information from the 5in1 outside, they don't send any information or get any information from anywhere except the 5in1 outside.

The indoor temperature is local to each display and since one is upstairs and one in the basement they're usually different.  I won't see these indoor temperatures on the My Acurite app because the display is a read only device, it doesn't transmit any information only receives from the outdoor unit.

In order to get indoor temperature information I purchased some additional sensors. I have a temperature sensor in my office upstairs, one in the garage, one in the coldest part of the basement and one the reads the furnace output temperature.  I also have one in the basement that does temperature and detects moisture at the low point on the floor(we had the basement flood once, not something I want to repeat).

So with my 5in1 system, I get the outside temperature and humidity (all the temp sensors have humidity too), wind speed and direction, rainfall rate and total, barometric pressure, AT MY HOUSE. I also have all the indoor sensors I mentioned above available in the app.

The ONLY information that the My Acurite app doesn't get from your own weather station is the very general conditions; light snow, partly cloudy, clear, whatever. Mostly fluff, the sort of stuff you can see by looking out the window. I hope that helps explain a little better how things work and why having your own station is better than something like the Weather Channel app.

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2021, 07:42:56 PM »
But if I read correctly the forecast comes from Dark Sky for the app and the Display so why not showing the same thing?
It looks like you edited this post and asked a new question while I was typing my response above. I can only speak for how my Displays work but they only receive information from my outdoor 5in1 unit. They don't get any information from the internet so they can't display anything from Dark Sky.

Offline MarkHarris71

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2021, 10:23:42 AM »
So the unit I bought is this combo: AcuRite Iris (5-in-1) 01151M HD Weather Station with AcuRite Access for Remote

Today is even worse...here is the actual conditions outdoors:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ5w_3-Ey7E&feature=youtu.be

The app is reflecting this but the display is like I am in a completely different place.

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2021, 11:49:27 PM »
Mark, you're focusing on the one item on the display that I ignore completely. Current conditions is not based on any direct sensor reading (temperature, humidity, wind, rain, etc.) it's a guess based on very limited input. That's especially true since the 5in1 can't measure or detect snowfall (I'm not sure any consumer grade personal weather station can).
If I want to know the (general) current conditions (clear, cloudy, partly cloudy, snowing, etc) I look out the window.
If I want to know the temperature, humidity, wind speed, wind direction, rainfall rate, rainfall total, I look at the 5in1 display.

Offline MarkHarris71

Mark, you're focusing on the one item on the display that I ignore completely. Current conditions is not based on any direct sensor reading (temperature, humidity, wind, rain, etc.) it's a guess based on very limited input. That's especially true since the 5in1 can't measure or detect snowfall (I'm not sure any consumer grade personal weather station can).
If I want to know the (general) current conditions (clear, cloudy, partly cloudy, snowing, etc) I look out the window.
aha except I didnt buy a unit with a display to "look out the window". If it has a display then there is ZERO excuse to not be showing the exact same thing their app is showing. That is beyond simple to grasp and no need to make up excuses for such a fail.
If is not going to be syncing with THEIR OWN app, may as well not have it on the display as it is just pointless.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
This is how AcuRite Weather Forecasting works that most displays use.
https://www.acurite.com/learn/glossary/weather-stations/acurite-calibration-forecasting

They make a display for the 5-n-1 that has forecasts from Dark Sky which is downloaded from the internet and is more accurite. There may me others ... I don't know.

https://www.acurite.com/shop-all/weather-instruments/weather-sensors-and-parts/hd-wi-fi-display-for-5-in-1-weather-station-with-future-forecast-powered-by-dark-sky-and-weather-underground-streaming-display-only.html

Displays forecast downloaded from Dark Sky for today and tomorrow's forecasted highs, lows and chance of precipitation (requires Wi-Fi connection)

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline MarkHarris71

I got a reply from Acurite and as I figured, this is NOT an expected behavior otherwise having the display show inaccurate info would be pointless.

Hello,

We are happy to help. Did the display show any snow at all during this time? The display will predict the weather for the next 12-24 hours.

If your display shows inaccurate forecasting after the 33 day learning mode has been completed, we would recommend factory resetting the display so that the display can go through the 14-33 day learning mode again. I have provided a link below that will bring you to an article that will explain the learning mode on your display.

https://support.acurite.com/hc/en-us/articles/360009604793-Learning-Mode

Our HD displays do not have a learning mode indicator, however, the learning mode is going in the background for 33 full days.

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
Mark, I hope you’ll check back with an update after 30 days. I’ll be interested to see how this works out for you.

Out of curiosity I checked my system.
My display shows this:
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
My app shows this:
And outside looks like this:

Offline MarkHarris71

Mark, I hope you’ll check back with an update after 30 days. I’ll be interested to see how this works out for you.

Out of curiosity I checked my system.
My display shows this:
My app shows this:
And outside looks like this:

Hello,
I will update in 14 days then in 33 days since that is officially the last day of training. I did a complete reset as requested by their support so hopefully I still get some snow after that period. It can snow up to early May here but is not that common. :)

anything