Author Topic: Computer security  (Read 990 times)

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
Computer security
« on: January 10, 2021, 01:30:02 PM »
I have Xfinity and they dropped their partnership with Norton.

What is the best way to  go for what to do.

I have a 4 computers to cover.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Computer security
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 01:32:28 PM »
Malwarebytes and either Windows Defender (10) or eSet.  Avoid Kaspersky and anything from Isreal.  Trust me on that last recommendation.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 01:39:28 PM »
There are a number of free antivirus programs. Panda Antivirus works well in my experience. I like that in the settings you can turn off "Panda News" and "show relevant security news" and then it runs quietly. It doesn't nag you to upgrade to the paid version either. I used to use Avast and AVG but they got annoying. But you can test those options out too. Panda does ask for your email...but you can x-out and ignore it....it still works and updates and does everything.

The difference between the free options and the paid options is that the free options tend to be just antivirus and nothing else (I like that). When you get into the paid options they start to bundle other things like, spam protection, and browser search protection, and firewalls, shopping protection, password vaults...etc. They try to add value for being a paid product. If you need these other things and you like a combined solution than the paid approach may appeal. But sometimes offering all these added functions leads to bloated software that slows down your computer. Some of the extra features are unnecessary, for example spam protection....you have that already with the free email services, firewall that is built into Windows...may not offer the level of reporting but its there, and other features web filters are becoming less relevant as browsers are starting to block some known bad sites and a lot of home routers have built in filtering options (like Asus has TrendMicro malware blocking built in).

Windows Defender is built in and takes over if your installed antivirus gets disabled.

I like running the free version of malwarebytes as a periodic cliean-up in case something got through in combination with Panda. But the paid version offers live protection.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 03:22:18 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 03:11:46 PM »
+1 on the Windows 10 Defender. Our university tested it against Norton an d Mcafee (John is such a wack job)  and found that it was a better product. If you do install a separate av program make sure that Defender is disabled. I found on a friend's computer their "free crapware (with ads)" av program was checking files at the same time that Win10 was slowing the machine down. Also I had to eliminate checking on pictures on file open (which were all scanned family photos). No need to check a locally scanned photo (no downloads) for viruses.
+1 on Malwarebytes Free. Just be aware that each time there's a program update you need to go into  settings (gear top right) and click on account. Click on disable trial version, and say yes to Windows alert. The trial is 14 days and I got a lot of pop up sales ads the last time.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 03:22:54 PM »
I bought a whack of lifetime Premium Malwarebytes licenses.  Now they are a bit spendy.  But a heckuva product.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!