Author Topic: Update time External sensor to Home console  (Read 530 times)

Offline ManPereira

Update time External sensor to Home console
« on: December 03, 2020, 10:51:32 AM »
Thanks for reading.

I have made this question some time ago...
Now letīs see if there is something new regarding my question...

The Weather Stations I have seen ,have different interval update times from external sensors and the internal console.
I have seen:
3.5 seconds from Davis
4,75 seconds from a Ecowitt / froggit model ( Ultrasonic anemometer)
16,5 seconds from others models

It seems there is no pattern with updates and also the behavior. What is the amount of information sensors sends to console, from different weather Stations.

Looking from that point I think that we can't compare values between weather stations from different builders, or am I wrong? :oops: :?: :???:

That said, I ask, In the case of the rain gauge, what value is sent since the last update, the sum of all the fallen rain since last sent, or the value in the precise moment is sending the info to console.
The same question I ask in relation to the wind, it sends a sum between updates, or the reading at the precise moment. What about the wind gusts between update interval?
Of course, the same could be asked for temperature and humidity, the values are what are at the time of sending the data from outside sensor to console or are a package with different values over time since the last update?

I would like to make it clear my question is between the external sensors and the home console, not with sending data to any external website.

Thanks for your help to understand this dynamic, understanding this fact, the easier it will be for me to decide on the model to buy.

Best regards.
Manuel Pereira
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 11:09:08 AM by ManPereira »

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
Re: Update time External sensor to Home console
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 12:54:35 PM »
Manufacturers choose update frequencies based on battery life and the availability of external power outdoors at the transmitter end when building wireless weather stations.  There is no standard, and shopping for a station with the update frequency that you require is a key to selecting a wireless weather station to purchase.  Consumer electronics wireless weather stations have 1+ minute update intervals (Netatmo in particular IIRC), whereas prosumer/pro grade wireless stations like the Davis VP2 update every 2.5 seconds.

If you want faster updates than that, look at wired stations with no radio batteries like the Peet Brothers Ultimeter with its 0.5 second update interval for wind.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

anything