Author Topic: Replacing Weather Station  (Read 1308 times)

Offline Tangmu

Replacing Weather Station
« on: October 23, 2020, 07:26:39 PM »
I've had an Ambient Weather WS-1001 for several years, and I can access the data on the Ambient site, Wunderground, and PWS.org.

The WS-1001 has quit working, just in time to give me an excuse to buy the new WS-5000.

My station has an ID starting KTX with 4 letters of the city and some digits at the end.

I believe I got that from Wunderground.  Is that right?  Can I use that ID with the new station when I get it, or do I need to get a new one?  How does Wunderground recognize my WS?  I think it's because I enter my WU credentials on the Ambient console.  So maybe I don't change anything at Wunderground?

The WS-1001 got to the internet via an ObserverIP from Ambientweather, because the WS-1001 could not communicate after I upgraded to a new WiFi router.  Thus the MAC accress on ambientweather.org sees that MAC address.  I won't use that with the new station, as it will hopefully work directly with the new router.  Thus the MAC address will change, but I don't think WU cares about that.

What do I need to do when I get the new station to get up and running at Wunderground again?  I believe I can figure out how to get on Ambient and PWS.

Thanks!

-- One more thing:  On WU, there's a drop-down list to identify what station you're using, but it doesn't include the WS-5000.  Any suggestions on what to chose instead?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 07:30:44 PM by Tangmu »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Replacing Weather Station
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 07:38:12 PM »
You send data in an acceptable form. The receiving party has no idea what sends it, just that it's sent. Entering your station type is superfluous as that's merely for those who want to see what type PWS sent it. You needn't change a thing.

Offline Tangmu

Re: Replacing Weather Station
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 09:36:12 PM »
Here's what I did:
1.  Removed the Wunderground Station ID and keycode from the EasyWeatherIP box that was reporting for the old station, so WU wouldn't receive data from multiple stations (the old WS-1001 was still reporting indoor data via the EasyWeatherIP box).  I unplugged the EWIP box anyway, so that was sort of redundant.
2.  Removed the link on Ambient to PWS Weather for the old station.
3.  Added the new station on Ambient Weather.
4.  Used Ambient's site to connect the new station to PWS Weather, so the station ID there didn't change.
5.  Used Ambient's site to connect to my existing WU Station ID.
6.  So I didn't need to get a different ID at WU or PWS Weather.
7.  I noticed updates at WU were slow, so I disconnected on the Ambient site, and put the WU info directly into the console.  It updates must faster that way.

anything