Author Topic: Do any commercial (did?) airliners have afterburners on their jets?  (Read 2184 times)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Do any commercial (did?) airliners have afterburners on their jets?
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2022, 11:39:30 PM »
I was a plane nut from the time I could look up, I guess.
Oh, so was I. My dad was in aviation, so the progression was natural. Probably my favorite memory as a kid was watching an SR71 fly straight down my street in 1970, ~1000'AGL at about 200kts, as the a/c was clean. He was supposed to be over the shore of Lake Erie an hour prior (we were waiting for him there as we knew about it), but didn't show up, so we went home, just a mile south of the shore. A couple of minutes later, I'm playing out in the neighborhood street, and here he comes, literally straight down broadway, and I'm screaming at the top of my lungs calling for my dad, who's in the house. He got out just in time to see it as well.  8-)                                               

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2022, 05:34:13 AM »
I too have been an aircraft geek since my early days living near an old RAF base (West Malling) where jets like Gloster Javelin used to do circuits over my house. Later both our sons followed this tradition with my youngest being a volunteer at IWM Duxford for the Fighter Collection so I attended a lot of shows there.

I watched that film of the Lightning and the pilot quoted was Wing Commander Roland 'Bee' Beaumont a quite famous test pilot! As for other test pilots of that era was Wing Commander Roland 'Roly' Falk, quite a character who flew in a pin-striped suit shirt and tie, and managed to wow the crowds in 1955 at Farnborough when he did a roll in the Vulcan which I do not believe has ever been done since during its flying time wing overs yes but a full roll never again. You can see it in this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=432uUVv12T8 from about 2 minutes 30 seconds in.

Stuart
Ecowitt GW1003 with ultrasonic wind gauge, lightning sensor and PM2.5 sensor with Personal Weather Tablet as a console.

Offline Wooks61

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2022, 04:17:48 PM »
I remember an RAF Passing Out Parade in the early 80s where the flypast was performed by a Vulcan. Perfect timing as the general salute was given, the Vulcan came over and climbed out over the parade with full thrust. The order to shoulder arms had to be delayed somewhat as nobody could hear anything but the beautiful roar of the four Rolly Royce Olympus engines at full power.  :-)

anything