Author Topic: DIY Logger  (Read 1189 times)

Online Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
DIY Logger
« on: September 06, 2022, 07:58:45 PM »
Has anyone used the DIY Logger that Ryan at Scaled Instruments is selling ? I have a couple of questions. I want to use it in an Envoy Man # A5110A048 Firmware 3.15 . Will it work or do I need a newer Envoy? The manual shows a USB cable.. where would I order that ? The manual talks about powering the DIY Logger from the power-in jack of the of (in my case) Envoy. That means the Envoy would only be on batteries all the time. Is there a way to power the DIY Logger from the Envoy and have the external power supply plugged in ?
I have read through the manual and just need this clarified.

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
Re: DIY Logger
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2022, 12:00:05 AM »
This Logger?:
https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/shop-by-category/data-loggers/diy-logger-for-davis-pro2-and-vue/

What I see there is the logger can be powered from the 5V on the USB cord and pass that on to the console. Batteries would be for backup.

Online Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2022, 12:45:35 AM »
Oh duh. Senior moment. Being used to powering my Envoy with a wall wart I mislead myself and didn't think of power via the USB. Thanks. Now to find the USb cable shown so I don't have to make my own but will if I have to. Also I wonder if there are any compatibility problems with older Envoys.

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2022, 04:18:10 AM »
Compatibility, I don't know.

The USB " cable" must be a UART to USB converter?

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2022, 12:17:25 PM »
DIY logger is a simple UART/TTL logger. Very simple solution.

If you like to make USB logger from it, then you have to use USB<->UART converter.
Please note, that if you like to use WeatherLink PC software, then lines DTR – DSR and RTS – CTS has to be shorted.

http://wifilogger.net/files/DIY_Man.pdf

Online Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2022, 06:45:49 PM »
Thanks. I finally got it. I found the USB/uart converter I need  and will be ordering it soon.