Author Topic: Gas Prices  (Read 53770 times)

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
Re: Gas Prices
« Reply #1025 on: September 10, 2022, 09:00:19 AM »
Anybody know anything about this Gas Buddy card?

https://www.gasbuddy.com/pay

"
    Saves 5x as much as our app and more than either a debit or gas credit card.
    Fill-ups are effortlessly deducted from your linked debit card.
    No credit check required. Sign up in minutes.
    No bills, no hassles, and nothing to fund. Just savings. "

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #1027 on: November 22, 2022, 08:11:01 AM »
We've been below $3 for some time, now at $2.68.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #1028 on: November 22, 2022, 03:44:19 PM »
Dam Steve!
2.68?
Florida is about 3.35.
That's a big swing.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #1029 on: November 22, 2022, 03:58:10 PM »
Yeah, I filled up in Burnet this morning at $2.75 on my way Austin to test drive a Caddy SRX, time for a new toy? But prices have been good for a time now. Groceries not so much?

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #1030 on: November 22, 2022, 04:01:12 PM »
Feel free to come up this way, where diesel is $6.07!

Thankfully, we have two electric cars, and one diesel (only driven for road trips) in our driveway.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #1031 on: November 22, 2022, 06:07:44 PM »
This is what happens when our beloved "POTUS" drains our SPR down to nothing. Brilliant.   :twisted:

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #1032 on: November 22, 2022, 06:41:48 PM »
This is what happens when our beloved "POTUS" drains our SPR down to nothing. Brilliant.   :twisted:
This is likely a false assignment of causality.  The SPR releases try to mitigate some of the supply shortfall as a result of sanctions against Russia for the invasion of Ukraine, OPEC cutting production targets in the face of rising demand as the world resumes demand as the Covid pandemic/restrictions wane.  It’s not under direct control of a President or any one nation as it is a worldwide market.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline Vasco

• Forecaster
    • PWS
« Reply #1033 on: November 22, 2022, 06:48:33 PM »
According to RAC, average prices in UK today are 163.24p for E10 unleaded and 187.42p for diesel - that's pence per litre.

So 6.18/7.09 GBP, or about 7.35/8.44 USD per US gallon.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 06:57:34 PM by Vasco »
Oregon Scientific WMR200 + Weather Display in Windows 10

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #1034 on: November 22, 2022, 06:57:04 PM »
This is likely a false assignment of causality.  The SPR releases try to mitigate some of the supply shortfall as a result of sanctions against Russia for the invasion of Ukraine, OPEC cutting production targets in the face of rising demand as the world resumes demand as the Covid pandemic/restrictions wane.  It’s not under direct control of a President or any one nation as it is a worldwide market.
Oh please... I've heard this drivel ad nauseam. We're in this crisis because this admin put us here...top to bottom. Is it all Joey's fault? No, but he damn sure makes it infinitely worse. All the "pundits" can spew this crap til the cows come home. I do my homework.

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #1035 on: November 22, 2022, 07:25:21 PM »
Do more homework, and use sources that report facts instead of inventions. 
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #1036 on: November 22, 2022, 07:28:49 PM »
Right....

Offline Vasco

• Forecaster
    • PWS
« Reply #1037 on: November 22, 2022, 07:40:49 PM »
Feel free to come up this way, where diesel is $6.07!

Thankfully, we have two electric cars, and one diesel (only driven for road trips) in our driveway.....

Thankfully, you probably don't get your power shut off as a precaution in fire season - like PG&E does in California - so you can't charge your electric cars..

Offline BaseLine

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #1038 on: November 23, 2022, 07:31:13 AM »
Do more homework, and use sources that report facts instead of inventions.

"...According to new data released from the Energy Information Administration, our oil reserves stockpile is down to just 396 million barrels. The sharp drop, now down to its lowest level since April 1984, isn’t due to natural disasters, trade embargoes, or acts of God, but instead due to politics..."

"... This concerning reality could have been avoided if President Biden had prioritized American energy production, specifically of crude oil and natural gas. Instead, his administration has championed harmful oil and gas policies that have handcuffed the energy sector. He canceled the Keystone XL pipeline, halted new drilling on federal lands, implemented regulatory hurdles, and raised taxes on energy companies. "

edit: "...  oil production is far short of where it was prior to the pandemic. In 2019, the U.S. Energy Information Administration calculated that we produced roughly 12.3 million barrels per day, but in 2021, we produced roughly a million fewer barrels than that period.

Despite the ongoing energy crisis, and with gas prices beginning to creep back up to an average of $4 per gallon, this president is unwilling to encourage more oil from U.S. producers. The White House and Department of Energy signaled all options are on the table to stabilize prices and now they’re pivoting back to tapping the SPR again. In mid-October, the Biden administration announced it will withdraw another 15 million barrels over the next few weeks to lower prices before the midterm elections."
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 08:24:15 AM by BaseLine »
Sun cooked nothingburger of climate change hysteria with a side order of peak-oil nonsense fries.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #1039 on: November 23, 2022, 04:55:38 PM »
Everything is politicized, get used to it.

I filled up at $2.65 today at Murphys for my Tday dinner in San Antonio and probably the following day trip to Dallas to look at a(nother) Cadillac SRX. I'm determined to do something dumb? But, at 79 I've never owned a red car or a Cadillac, so maybe it's time? - before there is no time?

Offline BaseLine

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #1040 on: November 25, 2022, 06:47:24 AM »
Everything is politicized, get used to it.

I filled up at $2.65 today at Murphys for my Tday dinner in San Antonio and probably the following day trip to Dallas to look at a(nother) Cadillac SRX. I'm determined to do something dumb? But, at 79 I've never owned a red car or a Cadillac, so maybe it's time? - before there is no time?

Be happy you paid that little. In EU, it's still about 2x more expensive.
If you take a look at US inflation, you never (past 50 y or so) had cheaper petrol than you do now.
Sun cooked nothingburger of climate change hysteria with a side order of peak-oil nonsense fries.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #1041 on: November 28, 2022, 11:01:45 AM »
A bit of a change, but still FUEL prices.

In my area gasoline is down nearly a dollar since the high this summer.  $2.81 at Fleet Farm, with 4 ¢ a gallon off coupon.

I'm happy for it, and I don't drive more just because gasoline is 'cheaper' than it was.

Here's my question.  Much of the commerce here depends upon hauling stuff with either train locomotives powered by diesel or semi tractors burning it, too. 

Diesel used to be about the same price as gasoline, or cheaper, and contained more energy per gallon, so it was a way to get more moved at a lesser price.

Now while gasoline has gone down substantially, diesel price per gallon has hardly budged.

I am a physicist, not a chemical engineer, but from talking with some of those guys  in the past, I had the impression that in general crude oil was all about the same, with each gallon producing some lighter elements such as solvents, then gasoline, then heavier stuff like diesel and then tarry stuff for doing roads and such.  The proportion didn't seem to vary much whether the oil came from one location or another.  If they are still getting about the same amounts from each gallon of crude, why did gas prices fall while diesel hasn't much if any?

Is it all profiteering? 
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #1042 on: November 28, 2022, 11:17:12 AM »
The only profiteering going on here is the Gov getting fat! How would you like to have a guaranteed income from something you never ever spent a penny to discover, to produce, to ship and market? - sounds great huh, well, that's profiteering at the Gov level.

But, let's think a little further down the road about EV vehicles. They don't pay a cent in gas tax, but they're darn heavy so are actually putting a disproportionate stress on the roads. So, prepare yourself for a tax to be levied for the miles you drive. Those of us who still drive gas cars will pay at the pump, but the EV's never see a gas pump so they will have to pay monthly with some sort of report for the miles driven. What better group to collect it than the IRS, they just hired 87,000 people to stick it to us out here. And, just to be sure all bases are covered, we gas guzzlers will also pay that tax as punishment for not going EV!

You think I'm kidding?

Offline Weerstation

• Westland De Poel
« Reply #1043 on: November 28, 2022, 11:42:17 AM »
The Netherlands
1 Euro equals $1.04
1 US Gallon 3.7854 Liter

95 E1.942/L
Diesel E1.913/L
LPG E1.049/L
Super (98) E2.084/L

95 $7.645/US Gallon
Diesel $7.5331/US Gallon
LPG $4.13/US Gallon
Super (98) $8.204/US Gallon

Road taxes E185.00/3 months

70% taxes on gas but no such thing as free healthcare.  :lol:
Healthcare E140/month

[tup]

Offline Vasco

• Forecaster
    • PWS
« Reply #1044 on: November 28, 2022, 12:02:14 PM »
The proportion didn't seem to vary much whether the oil came from one location or another.  If they are still getting about the same amounts from each gallon of crude, why did gas prices fall while diesel hasn't much if any?

As I understand it, once you build a refinery you can't change the proportion of gas to diesel produced: so maybe part of the reason is supply-and-demand pricing?

Food for thought here.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #1045 on: November 28, 2022, 12:12:34 PM »
Now you know why I live in Texas. The Netherlands to Texas comparison is apples and oranges. As I look at my maps, The Netherlands is 243 miles top to bottom, Texas is 215 miles from my house up to Dallas and we're both in the middle of the State, from El Paso to Orange is 880 miles. So, our economies are totally different. And, contrary to what you might have heard, healthcare here is darn expensive although it is available unlike some of the "free" countries like the UK and CA.

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #1046 on: November 28, 2022, 03:32:36 PM »
... "free" countries ...

Tee Hee Hee.

40 cents of every tax dollar to Health Care costs me a bundle......whether I use it or not!  ](*,)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #1047 on: November 28, 2022, 06:18:56 PM »
Let's see what our "president" does about the potential RR strike. Think things are expensive now? LOL! We ain't seen nothin' yet. But of course, there's all those 9000 drilling permits being "unused", however the admin doesn't bother telling us WHY they're unused. I think it's called subterfuge, as they throw more hoops to jump through, and that's just for starters. They lie like rugs, and sadly, many people treat it as gospel. This crap MUST stop.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #1048 on: November 28, 2022, 06:30:09 PM »
YOU GOT IT DEAD ON!

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #1049 on: November 28, 2022, 06:43:09 PM »
Ok, here's a simple question, all this is brought to us  via a vote, this is America, we vote on who/what we want, so why is this happening? - because we want this to happen, or, or, or,? Frankly, I don't remember voting for this?