Author Topic: VUE Solar Cell Question  (Read 346 times)

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
VUE Solar Cell Question
« on: October 09, 2019, 08:13:30 PM »
In preparation of decommissioning my VP2 for service I have been cleaning and servicing my VUE for a temporary stint as main station. I found a couple of cold solder joints on the battery contacts which I repaired. I also noticed the wiring at the solar panel connections was turning a little green so I cut the cable back and repaired that as well, but I noticed something odd!   The wiring to the solar panel has wiring with the red stripe connected to the negative side of the panel with the unmarked wiring (gray no stripe) connected to the positive connection. This defies everything I was taught in electronics and radio school :)

Has anyone happened to note how the wires connect on a VUE station?  Or better yet maybe have one apart for service.   Just curious about this before I reassemble.  It has been fairly rough on CR123 batteries since new so I'm wondering now if it was assembled incorrectly. Given the small amount of current involved it would be likely it could run this was and just fail to charge the super cap in sunny weather.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline rdsman

• Senior Contributor
Re: VUE Solar Cell Question
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 10:18:04 AM »
My Vue has two black wires.  One of which has a white stripe that goes to positive on the solar cell.  Sorry, not much help here.

But there is a simple test that you can perform.  Hook the solar cell back up the way you think it was.  Leave the battery out long enough to make sure it stops transmitting.  Sit it in the sun and see if it starts transmitting.  You don't even need to reassemble it!

« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 10:29:05 AM by rdsman »
Ray

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
Re: VUE Solar Cell Question
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 04:06:48 PM »
Looks like my assumption was correct RED is POSITIVE as is the case almost all of the time. I forgot to indicate that I had already verified the polarity of the cell with my 87 and it was wired what I felt was incorrect. Hopefully, now the battery will last a bit longer.

Here is what Davis had to say

The red to POSITIVE is correct. The CR123A should last a MIN of 8 months (that would be NO solar power input) and should last towards 2 years.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Bruce Johnson
Technical Support Representative
(510) 732-7814 | M-F 7:00am to 5:30pm PT
support@davisinstruments.com

Thanks for everyone's assistance!
Wt

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

anything