Author Topic: VP2 Console Firmware Upgrade.  (Read 1245 times)

Offline Phil23

• Senior Contributor
    • Phil's Backyard
VP2 Console Firmware Upgrade.
« on: April 15, 2019, 06:02:28 PM »
Hi all,
My console currently runs 3.15 firmware & considering upgrading to 3.80.

Specifically interested in whether there are any horror stories about things going wrong?

after 30 years in IT I've performed 1000's of firmware upgrades over everything from J-Tag, RS-232, USB, TCP/IP & SD cards.
But I've had a few instances of bricking a device for no known reason.

The bricked devices include 2 routers, my Kestrel 4200, after detailed contact with their support. Our Security Camera NVR and one of my Canon Eos DSLR's; 7Dii to be specific. (Recovered myself fortunately).

Despite this low failure rate, it does leave a HUGE bad taste in your mouth, & makes you gun shy at the unfamiliar device.

So is Davis's procedure & software bullet proof, or is it known to have it's quirks.

My interface is their Weatherlink USB.

Thanks.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch

Offline Jvietri

Re: VP2 Console Firmware Upgrade.
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 07:36:18 PM »
I literally just tried this weekend and my VP2 bricked.  I too have updated countless devices with firmware and this is the only device I had an issue.  I wish I would have talked myself out of it.  Now I am dropping 200 bucks on a new VP2 console....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 04:39:18 AM »
Typically not an issue with Davis firmware updates assuming the correct firmware was used and updated correctly, it's not all that difficult a process so not sure what would have caused your issue?

Following your initial post sounds like you may have been disappointed if the firmware hadn't failed!   
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 04:41:35 AM by Mattk »

Offline Phil23

• Senior Contributor
    • Phil's Backyard
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 05:20:43 PM »

I assume you've read this?
https://www.davisinstruments.com/support/vantage-pro2-wireless-console-firmware-direct-pc-install-3-80/

Yes, very thin info. Only a few basic steps in the help file.
Not a lot of warnings about serial drivers & OS environment.

I literally just tried this weekend and my VP2 bricked.

That's exactly what scares me.

I too have updated countless devices.....

Guess that will be making you like me; gun shy now & it's a part of my day to day work.
Every firmware update I do now seems to have me holding my breath.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 06:17:50 PM »

I assume you've read this?
https://www.davisinstruments.com/support/vantage-pro2-wireless-console-firmware-direct-pc-install-3-80/

Yes, very thin info. Only a few basic steps in the help file.
Not a lot of warnings about serial drivers & OS environment.

Honestly, not sure what else you want, either your console meets the criteria or doesn't and they don't differentiate on drivers or OS.  If you want the update badly enough, call Davis support and get their 2 cents and make them culpable if it blows up....

Offline themrburns

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 05:16:37 AM »
What is interesting about this and similar posts is that in today IT world it is expected that the manufacturer deliver an update file that seeks and finds and updates if all safety criteria is met otherwise it aborts.

I am like others in as much as Davies procedures are not clear and leave avenues open to error.  I have come to this conclusion despite being IT savvy and contacting Davies  on how to.  My upgrade is just sitting there as its minor.

When they stop me using my brain I will be very very happy.  :)

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 07:37:58 AM »
Has a rather bad smell about this post  :grin: and there's some here who aren't as savvy as they think  \:D/

Offline Phil23

• Senior Contributor
    • Phil's Backyard
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 05:17:52 PM »
call Davis support and get their 2 cents and make them culpable if it blows up....

Interesting you say that.

I did precisely that with my Kestrel 4500 a few years back.

The Tech support guy was really knowledgeable & insisted on staying on the phone while I did it.

Bricked the Kestrel under his guidance.
Stuck me on hold for a few minutes & then game back with the comment that my units serial number belonged to a range that had a PCB version issue incompatible with the upgrade.

I received a brand new Kestrel from him the very next day.

anything