Author Topic: Ambient Weather WS-5000 or Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus?  (Read 4151 times)

Offline edernest

Ambient Weather WS-5000 or Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus?
« on: October 20, 2020, 02:41:35 PM »
After researching over the summer and waiting for stock to arrive, I had thought I had decided on purchasing the new Ambient Weather WS-5000 w/ sonic anemometer. But after getting notice earlier this week that they now have it in stock, I got a bit gun-shy and reconsidered the VP2 that many on this site seem to recommend.

Though it would be a more substantial investment, I'm considering going all in with the 6163 VP2 Plus kit w/fan, 6332 Davis Sensor Transmitter (so I can mount the anemometer separately from rain/temp), and 6100 Davis WeatherLink Live (for cloud logging and smartphone access). Does that sound like a good starter setup? Would I have any regrets about the cost or the more dated web/console interfaces of the VP2 vs. the WS-5000?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Ambient Weather WS-5000 or Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 04:09:23 PM »
Having the ability to separate components will always be superior siting wise to an all-in-one.

Offline edernest

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 04:47:50 PM »
Having the ability to separate components will always be superior siting wise to an all-in-one.

That makes sense based on what I've read on proper siting, and I think both the WS-5000 and VP2 (with additional transmitter) would give me the ability to site them in entirely different spots as long as the transmitters are within range of the receiver.

How closely do most folks follow siting guidelines? When sharing data with CWOP or Weather Underground do you need to provide proof of adherance?

Offline Notsorusty

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 05:00:59 PM »
I am far from an expert but both WeatherUnderground and CWOP request information regarding your equipment, location and elevations when setting up your account. I believe you are not denied access for any of those reasons. Usually most urban locations require some compromise in setting up your station. Trees, lot lines, buildings, home owners associations, etc., can sometimes limit where you  can place your equipment. Most of us just do the best we can with placements.

As a side note, WeatherUnderground will test your patience.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 05:03:27 PM by Notsorusty »
Station Name: Silver Creek II
Latitude / Longitude: 41.925° N, -87.872° W
Elevation: 633
City: Franklin Park
State: IL
Hardware: Ambient Weather WS-2902D

Offline tshattuck

• Forecaster
    • Your Local Weather - Clay, NY
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 05:04:24 PM »
edernest:

I think most folks follow the siting guide lines rather closely. There is one exception however and that is the Anemometer, many folks including my self don't have the option to mount at 33 feet AGL. The other problem is nearby obstructions (trees, buildings, home owner associations etc.). In my case the nearest tree is only 50' away and is 35' tall, needless to say that impacts my wind speed readings.

We weather stations owners do the best we can given our site constraints.

Regards,

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 05:21:11 PM »
How closely do most folks follow siting guidelines?
The best wx station in the world is only as good as it's siting. It's a big deal, but as others say, do the best you can.

https://www.weather.gov/media/epz/mesonet/CWOP-Siting.pdf

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 05:24:13 PM »
edernest:

I think most folks follow the siting guide lines rather closely. There is one exception however and that is the Anemometer, many folks including my self don't have the option to mount at 33 feet AGL. The other problem is nearby obstructions (trees, buildings, home owner associations etc.). In my case the nearest tree is only 50' away and is 35' tall, needless to say that impacts my wind speed readings.

We weather stations owners do the best we can given our site constraints.

Regards,
Agreed.

Does that sound like a good starter setup?
More than a starter setup :thumbsup:   but you can always add more https://www.davisinstruments.com/product/weatherlink-live/

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2020, 03:25:28 AM »
At the end of the day it really is down to how deep are your pockets.
The Davis kit is indeed superb and in theory will outperform the Ambient products over the long run but you pay the price for that.
If you can then go for it.
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

Offline wxmansl

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2021, 01:24:50 PM »
I know this is an old topic but thought I'd weigh in.  I owned a rain wise at first MANY years ago and then added a VP2 which I used for over a decade and while it worked well, I needed to replace the temp and humidity sensors many times.  The technology has not been updated at all as far as I can tell.  The VP2 display panel today looks the same as the one I bought.  Over the years I played around with Acurite stations (disposable and cheap), weatherflow and now Tempest (after two earlier WF models failed they allowed me to upgrade for a modest price).  When the WS-5000 came back in stock I bought it.  I can't speak to durability yet but in terms of ease of use, accuracy, "prettiness" of display, customization and full calibration options it is the best weather station I have ever owned, hands down.  For a few bucks I can add a sensor that works as well as any I own, and if it goes bad I can buy another.  The panel even has a "gain" feature for wind speed and so far it matches local reporting stations despite imperfect siting (not sure how this will play out in various scenarios, but pretty cool to have).  The Tempest is OK but lacks any real customization or calibration;  It's supposed to calibrate on its own with "artificial intelligence"; I don't know that I've noticed.  I must say I still like a dedicated panel and the one provided with the WS-5000 is great.  If anyone has any questions let me know. 

Offline Edpsx

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2021, 12:52:22 PM »
I own the WS-5000 and had hail come through last night here and it knocked both outside sensors offline.  Rain sensor came back online this morning when I took the batteries out and put them back in, but the sensor array is toast and it only took breaking the top glass and letting water in.  Im surprised they used glass there and not plastic of some sort to cover the solar sensor.  Tried new batteries, reset button etc and its totally dead.  $144 for a new array if they had any in stock.  Think Im switching to a Davis system finally.  I also have a WS-1002 that Ive had for 7 or 8 years and its still going strong.  Not sure I can justify putting another $150 into AW stuff.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wMWorztfcR2U5ygC7

Offline doubleohwhatever

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2021, 01:52:51 PM »
Im surprised they used glass there and not plastic of some sort to cover the solar sensor.

High quality UV stabilized clear plastic is expensive compared to glass.

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2021, 02:06:13 PM »
I've had several stations of various prices over several years and settled on the system you see in my signature below. Some complain about the "dated" console display. I don't really use it much as I have the Davis WeatherLink 6100 and prefer using weatherlink.com in my Windows 10 Edge browser and absolutely love the real-time WeatherLink app on my Android Pixel phone since it is always in my pocket. It's fun watching the trees bend in the wind and instantly seeing the actual wind speed and direction on my WeatherLink phone app.

As far as complaints about components that haven't been updated for many years. What is dated about weather components that are accurate and last longer?

Bottom line, with what I've learned over the past few years, I would buy the system you see in my signature below again without hesitation.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 02:42:39 PM by TraderGary »
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus 6163 (Wireless) | Davis WeatherLink Live 6100 | Meteobridge Pro
WeatherLink | WundergroundCWOPAWEKASWindy

Offline Edpsx

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2021, 02:09:23 PM »
I've had several stations of various prices over several years and settled on the system you see in my signature below. Some complain about the "dated" console display. I don't really use it much as I have the Davis WeatherLink 6100 and prefer using weatherlink.com in my Windows 10 Edge browser and absolutely love the real-time WeatherLink app on my Android Pixel phone since it is always in my pocket. It's fun watching the trees bend in the wind and instantly seeing the actual wind speed and direction on my WeatherLink phone app.

Bottom line, with what I've learned over the past few years, I would buy the system you see in my signature below again without hesitation.

I literally just purchased that very unit.  Done messing around with the cheaper ones and wanted separate sensors.  Is weatherlink required for uploading to cloud?

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2021, 02:40:40 PM »

Is weatherlink required for uploading to cloud?

You can buy the VP2 Weatherlink Live bundle (no console needed) https://www.davisinstruments.com/product/vantage-pro2-weatherlink-live-bundle-no-console-6112/  https://www.scaledinstruments.com/?s=weatherlink+live+bundle&post_type=product
and get yourself an AirLink as well https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/pro2-integrated-sensor-suite-upgrades-and-add-ons/preorder-davis-7210-airlink-professional-air-quality-sensor/
Both do updating to weatherlink.com

Weatherlink.com free basic version updates at 15 minutes, the Pro subscription is at 5 minute interval (Pro + also available at higher cost).

Weatherlink Live does not work with Weatherlink PC software but does interface with third party software like CumulusMX.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2021, 03:28:19 PM »

I literally just purchased that very unit.  Done messing around with the cheaper ones and wanted separate sensors.  Is weatherlink required for uploading to cloud?

Add the Davis Weatherlink Live 6100 to your system. You will be very happy you did. It will give you cloud access storage for your data. It will give you a great color display that runs on your computer screen and it gives you access to a fabulous smart phone app that you will have to use to believe how good it is.

https://www.davisinstruments.com/weatherlink-app/

The WeatherLink Live 6100 will give you 15 minute updates to your other cloud sites if you do them. Of course your local data is, as the name implies, live as it comes from your station.

https://www.davisinstruments.com/weatherlinklive/

I added the Meteobridge Pro to my system and that gives me 5 second updates to my non Davis clooud sites. It isn't a necessity unless you want the rapid-fire updates you can get with Weather Underground.

https://ambientweather.com/amweatherbridgepro.html

My Davis WeatherLink Live 6100 added $179 to my system price. Add it, you'll be very glad you did.
My Meteobridge Pro Added $465 to my system Price. Purely optional. I'd do it again, but cost wasn't a consideration. I just wanted it.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 04:06:02 PM by TraderGary »
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus 6163 (Wireless) | Davis WeatherLink Live 6100 | Meteobridge Pro

Offline wxmansl

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2021, 08:11:25 PM »
I'm not sure what the attraction is to Davis, a station I've used for many, many years.  It's just OK in my opinion especially considering the cost.  The best part of my station is that dated panel, which worked flawlessly from day one. Every outdoor sensor needed to be replaced over the years, and quite expensive too.  As I said earlier, I can't speak to the WS-5000 in terms of longevity, but so far so good. 

Offline wxmansl

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2021, 08:19:15 PM »
I own the WS-5000 and had hail come through last night here and it knocked both outside sensors offline.  Rain sensor came back online this morning when I took the batteries out and put them back in, but the sensor array is toast and it only took breaking the top glass and letting water in.  Im surprised they used glass there and not plastic of some sort to cover the solar sensor.  Tried new batteries, reset button etc and its totally dead.  $144 for a new array if they had any in stock.  Think Im switching to a Davis system finally.  I also have a WS-1002 that Ive had for 7 or 8 years and its still going strong.  Not sure I can justify putting another $150 into AW stuff.

Did you report the problem to Ambient? If so, how did they respond.  I can say that Davis does have good customer service, but when a component is out of warranty you will pay, though they will sometimes give you a discount.  Outside of my first rain wise (a true beast at an exorbitant price) I view all weather stations as things that will need to be replaced every few years, and that's OK with me especially as technology improves.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2021, 08:25:41 PM »
I'm not sure what the attraction is to Davis, a station I've used for many, many years.  It's just OK in my opinion especially considering the cost. 
Self explanatory to me.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2021, 08:30:02 PM »

I view all weather stations as things that will need to be replaced every few years, and that's OK with me especially as technology improves.
Glad I don't. My VP2 will be 15 this summer and that's in the AZ sun as well. As far as technology...I can see my obs just as well and accurately as you can...maybe even better.  ;)

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2021, 10:31:13 PM »

That makes sense based on what I've read on proper siting, and I think both the WS-5000 and VP2 (with additional transmitter) would give me the ability to site them in entirely different spots as long as the transmitters are within range of the receiver.

How closely do most folks follow siting guidelines? When sharing data with CWOP or Weather Underground do you need to provide proof of adherance?

I just recently purchased the extra Tx so I can more properly site my gear.

I think it is VERY important and am constantly looking to improve.

Offline wxmansl

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2021, 08:37:55 AM »
I'm not sure what the attraction is to Davis, a station I've used for many, many years.  It's just OK in my opinion especially considering the cost. 
Self explanatory to me.

Yes, the Davis will live IF you constantly replace sensors (in my experience anyway), but they are expensive and in short order you could buy a whole brand new "lesser" station that's more up to date for the same price.  And in 2021, it should be easy to record data and broadcast it to any of a number of networks, and that tech should be built in to the station, not an added upgrade at even more expense.  If I can get 3 years out of my WS-5000 I'm happy to buy the next version then. 

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2021, 10:53:20 AM »
Self explanatory to me.

Yes, the Davis will live IF you constantly replace sensors (in my experience anyway), but they are expensive and in short order you could buy a whole brand new "lesser" station that's more up to date for the same price.  And in 2021, it should be easy to record data and broadcast it to any of a number of networks, and that tech should be built in to the station, not an added upgrade at even more expense.  If I can get 3 years out of my WS-5000 I'm happy to buy the next version then.

An interesting thing I discovered about the "lesser" and "more up to date" stations was their use of a cheap light meter that only guesses Solar and UV values.  Davis uses quality individual Solar and UV sensors that measure accurately. That kind of quality makes a difference to me.

The person who convinced me to spend the extra for Davis quality has a VP2+ at his business and he also has a VP2+ at his home. Both stations have been in service for more than 10 years with no problems. I've only had my VP2+ since August, 2020, but I'm looking forward to having the same experience.

Offline wxmansl

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2021, 11:14:56 AM »
Self explanatory to me.

An interesting thing I discovered about the "lesser" and "more up to date" stations was their use of a cheap light meter that only guesses Solar and UV values.  Davis uses quality individual Solar and UV sensors that measure accurately. That kind of quality makes a difference to me.

The person who convinced me to spend the extra for Davis quality has a VP2+ at his business and he also has a VP2+ at his home. Both stations have been in service for more than 10 years with no problems. I've only had my VP2+ since August, 2020, but I'm looking forward to having the same experience.

I can't argue with Davis quality, in general, but it definitely has some quirks.  I had to replace the temp-humidity sensor multiple times over the years but even though the temp part worked well before needing to be replaced the humidity component did not. I'm in an inland area of NJ, so nothing special about my site.  I relied on cheap ambient and other sensors which performed just fine and did not fail.   I would have no problem paying $600-$700 for a great station these days, but I just don't see that value in the Davis VP2 offerings, and even more for the "plus" version.  My first weather station by rainwise cost a small fortune but the outdoor components (hard wired) NEVER failed.  The indoor LCD unit failed first, and that's saying something.  I just didn't feel like spending over $1000 for a new rainwise at the time, and was generally happy with Davis, but the tech is improving so rapidly these days that I don't see something like the WS-5000 as a step down even though I'm accepting that the build quality is less.  If the WS fails in less than 3 years I'll probably feel differently. But for now I have that nice display, great calibration options and under $400 for the whole package and an extra T-H sensor. 

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2021, 01:51:13 PM »
Self explanatory to me.

I can't argue with Davis quality, in general, but it definitely has some quirks.  I had to replace the temp-humidity sensor multiple times over the years but even though the temp part worked well before needing to be replaced the humidity component did not. I'm in an inland area of NJ, so nothing special about my site.  I relied on cheap ambient and other sensors which performed just fine and did not fail.   I would have no problem paying $600-$700 for a great station these days, but I just don't see that value in the Davis VP2 offerings, and even more for the "plus" version.  My first weather station by rainwise cost a small fortune but the outdoor components (hard wired) NEVER failed.  The indoor LCD unit failed first, and that's saying something.  I just didn't feel like spending over $1000 for a new rainwise at the time, and was generally happy with Davis, but the tech is improving so rapidly these days that I don't see something like the WS-5000 as a step down even though I'm accepting that the build quality is less.  If the WS fails in less than 3 years I'll probably feel differently. But for now I have that nice display, great calibration options and under $400 for the whole package and an extra T-H sensor.

I hope you become a forum regular and report your experience. It will be interesting to see how you do with it.

Offline wxmansl

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2021, 06:50:35 AM »
Self explanatory to me.

I hope you become a forum regular and report your experience. It will be interesting to see how you do with it.

Thank you!

anything