Weather Station Hardware > AcuRite Weather Stations

Atlas anemomiter going bad?

(1/4) > >>

jjh92:
My wind speed readings are very spikey.  I see blowing snow, nearby branches moving and even the weather station pole has slight sway while the wind cups are still. Seems to take a very stiff gust to get them moving.  Do I need to replace the whole anemometer assembly or just the wind cups?  The wind vane seems to move fine and flutter in very low winds.  Atlas is 2 years old now.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

worachj:
I would first try pulling the wind vane and wind cups off the shaft and add a lubricant. The vane and cups pull straight off.

https://www.acurite.com/media/manuals/06078M-06079M-instructions.pdf

--- Quote ---To Disassemble:
1.The wind vane is pressed onto the wind cups. Pull firmly to remove it.
2.The wind cups are pressed onto the shaft. Pull firmly to remove them.
To Assemble:
3.To attach the wind cups, align them with the flat part on the shaft and press into place. Tip: Place one drop of light machine oil or spray lubricant on the shaft to ensure the anemometer will spin freely.
4.Attach the wind vane by applying pressure to ensure it is properly secured to the shaft.Place one drop of light machine oil or spray lubricant on the shaft to ensure the anemometer will spin freely.

--- End quote ---

DoctorKnow:
You can actually take out the bearings too and clean them I believe. They are tiny and are not sealed, so they have dirt in them I'm sure. There are two of them.

jjh92:
Thanks for the guidance.  Will give it a try but right now I am in the dead of winter so will have to live with it for a few months.

jjh92:
Enough snow melt that I was able to take down the Atlas today.  Removed the vane and windcups to get to the bearings.  Turning the windcup section it squeak's and feels a little grungy (doesn't turn smooth).  How to clean and lub?  Blast it with brake cleaner and then with wd-40?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version