Weather Software > Macintosh Weather Software

Setting up a Davis 6152 Vantage Pro 2 with MPB

(1/4) > >>

CaptMike:
I am going to try this again this year, earlier than last year.  Due to a combination of winter intervening, and being totally flabbergasted and overwhelmed with the information, I said the hell with it.

I want to try one more time.  Here is what I have: A sturdy wood shed to mount the WX station, a router plugged into my wall that is provided by my Internet service.  Connected to the router via cable, an Airport Extreme, which provides my wireless Internet signal, and my MBP.  No desktop computer.  I am out of the country usually at least half of the month.

With the above set-up, and not getting a dedicated desktop that I would have to leave running while I am gone half the time, can I set up a Vantage Pro 2 wirelessly, to where I can download (or upload) the data to WU, or whoever, and be able to access it while on the road?  Again, without having a dedicated desktop computer.  I wouldn't mind getting a dedicated cheap one, but to leave it running while I am gone for long periods, seems senseless to me.  If you haven't already surmised, I am not the most computer literate person.

If this set up is possible, would someone please just state the components and software needed, from woodshed and WX station, to router, to AP Extreme, to MBP.  Or whatever in-between , so that I could have a functioning WX station, and be able to access it online, and let other people see it.  If I remember correctly, I believe there is more than one way to do this.  If there is a "best" way, I would do it.  Keeping it simple wouldn't hurt, either.  Thank you for your time and patience.

wvdkuil:

--- Quote from: CaptMike on August 23, 2014, 07:22:54 AM ---I am going to try this again this year, earlier than last year.  Due to a combination of winter intervening, and being totally flabbergasted and overwhelmed with the information, I said the hell with it.

I want to try one more time.  Here is what I have: A sturdy wood shed to mount the WX station, a router plugged into my wall that is provided by my Internet service.  Connected to the router via cable, an Airport Extreme, which provides my wireless Internet signal, and my MBP.  No desktop computer.  I am out of the country usually at least half of the month.

With the above set-up, and not getting a dedicated desktop that I would have to leave running while I am gone half the time, can I set up a Vantage Pro 2 wirelessly, to where I can download (or upload) the data to WU, or whoever, and be able to access it while on the road?  Again, without having a dedicated desktop computer.  I wouldn't mind getting a dedicated cheap one, but to leave it running while I am gone for long periods, seems senseless to me.  If you haven't already surmised, I am not the most computer literate person.

If this set up is possible, would someone please just state the components and software needed, from woodshed and WX station, to router, to AP Extreme, to MBP.  Or whatever in-between , so that I could have a functioning WX station, and be able to access it online, and let other people see it.  If I remember correctly, I believe there is more than one way to do this.  If there is a "best" way, I would do it.  Keeping it simple wouldn't hurt, either.  Thank you for your time and patience.

--- End quote ---
Before I can give an answer, what is an MBP? I could not find the meaning on Wikipedia for it.

Normally you would have
Davis VP2 outside => console inside + logger in console => "weather-computer device" => Wireless or cabled network => router => internet => WU.

You could than look at your data from all over the world.

Solution 1: QaD:
If you have no logger yet, buy an Davis WLIP (= ip logger), plug it in the console and use WeatherLink.com. They will also upload your data to WU. You do not need a "weather-computer device" as long as you can plug the WLIP ethernet end into your router or into your Airport Extreme.

Solution 2: Professional:
If you already have a logger:
Buy a Meteobridge / Weatherbridge at http://www.ambientweather.com/weatherbridge.html as your "weather-computer device".
The usb cable from the logger inside your console goes into the Meteobridge. The Meteobridge uses your Wireless network or your Lan to upload your data to WU (and others). It can also do a lot of interesting things in your case. Example if the inside temp goes below freezing ( or any temp you set )=> an email is sent to you or your house-caretaker.

In your case I would go for the  Weatherbridge/Meteobridge, especially for the e-mail facilities. Even if I already should own an IP logger.

Succes, Wim

floodcaster:
I believe MBP is referring to an Apple MacBook Pro.

Beaudog:
I too have no idea what an MPB is.     But I also recommend that you go the metobridge route.   You can do it cheaper than the ambient model if you want to.  Read     http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=19530.0

wvdkuil:

--- Quote from: Beaudog on August 23, 2014, 10:02:29 AM ---I too have no idea what an MPB is.     But I also recommend that you go the metobridge route.   You can do it cheaper than the ambient model if you want to.  Read     http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=19530.0

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: floodcaster on August 23, 2014, 09:44:39 AM ---I believe MBP is referring to an Apple MacBook Pro.

--- End quote ---

I checked if it was discussed earlier.  And it is, by the same person at
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=20289.msg195088#msg195088

So the MBP is his Mac Book Pro.

But for this setup it is irrelevant as one does not need a desktop computer / laptop to send the data to WU and others.

If you want to look at the data from home and from outdoors you need a laptop or a chromebook or an iPad. Any device with a browser will work.

But is all discussed in detail last year, so just a question @CaptMike why start over again?
Please tell us what you do not understand or what bothers you and we will answer any questions.

Wim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version