Web Weather > Weather Web Resources

NHC feed parser

(1/3) > >>

Anole:
I'm working on a PHP script that takes the NHC (National Hurricane Center) RSS feed and parses it for presentation on your web page. This script is specfic to the NHC feed. It does a couple of things that other RSS feed parsers don't with regard to these specific feeds:

1) Breaks out and sections individual storms.
2) Creates a header for each individual storm.

You can see it working here:

http://weather.anolecomputer.com/

The script outputs each storms set of links as an unordered list (<ul>) and the output is XHTML 1.0 strict compliant.

The script utilizes a really lightweight and well written feed parser called lastRSS. For info on lastRSS you can visit the website at:
http://lastrss.webdot.cz/

One of the nice things about lastRSS is that it includes caching. I still need to do some testing on the caching and write up some documentation before I make this script publicly available but I should have it ready tomorrow.

Obviously this is going to be of primary interest to those of us in hurricane prone areas.

Anole:
Might not have this ready tomorrow after all. Looks like we're now in the 3-day cone of uncertainty for Ernesto. Going to get the shutters in place tomorrow and start making preps.

saratogaWX:
That's looks great on your page!  Offering the summarization by storm is a great idea.  Thanks for the reference to the lastRSS PHP class.. I picked up a copy of it too.  

Keep up your prep for Ernesto and I hope it doesn't strike you!!

:D

Best regards,
Ken

Anole:
lastRSS is pretty nice. I finished up the cache testing last night, but I discovered a problem this morning because of an assumption I made that there would always be 5 link listings for each storm. This morning there is are 6 for Ernesto including an "Update". I'll have to do a little rethinking on how to handle that.

ocala:
That update was weird because it came out at 5:05. They must have been waiting for recon data. At any rate that's pretty cool. Might have to put that one in the web site.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version