Author Topic: Physical Connections and Software recommendations Vantage Pro 2  (Read 3484 times)

Offline 28Coupe

I have had a Vantage Pro 2 set up for several years.  Now I want to get online.

I contacted a retailer and received an email advising that I need Davis Wireless Weather Envoy (6316) and the Davis USB Data-Logger w/ Windows WeatherLink Software (6510USB) to work with the VP2. I asked about third party software and would it work? I was told.. “Finally, we are not aware of third-party software that is compatible to the data-logger.”
I would like to connect to Weather Underground and eventually have a camera.
I look at other sites and I see a variety of different types software being used. One I site I visit frequently is using Weather Display.

What gives? What am I missing?
I do not consider myself a technical wizard by any means. So…responses written slowly with a Crayon would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Greg

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
Re: Physical Connections and Software recommendations Vantage Pro 2
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 03:49:55 PM »

I contacted a retailer and received an email advising .....

I do not consider myself a technical wizard by any means. So…responses written slowly with a Crayon would be appreciated!

OK. 
1.  Whatever retailer you contacted -- doesn't have a clue.  One trick pony.  Etc.

2.  If you aren't "technical", why would you want to get complicated, by having 3rd party software, etc.?

3.  I'm assuming you have an internet connection, and a PC.

4.  Consider the Davis WeatherLinkIP (6555).  It's the closest thing to plug-and-play that you can get.

5.  I'm sure that other folks will suggest more complicated things.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 03:56:35 PM by dalecoy »

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 04:13:09 PM »
As an alternate to dalecoy's comment,
Yes you need a datalogger and third-party ones are available.  I use the Davis Weatherlink USB datalogger along with the Envoy.  But if you can use your console to connect to the computer then you don't need the Envoy (but do need the datalogger)
Yes there is third party software that does work, and work well with Davis stations and Davis datalogger as well as third party datalogger.  Davis may make "no comment" about that, but it is the case.  I use Cumulus third-party software and it does everything I want including upload to WU, CWOP and many more, just check my websites.

And there is lots of help here on the forum to help you with everything, even for those of us that knew/know nothing about putting weather stations' data on line.

Additions like webcam can come at a later time when you have things working and become more familiar.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Phil23

• Senior Contributor
    • Phil's Backyard
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 04:43:28 PM »
+1 for Cumulus.

I run it on a retired laptop via the Davis USB interface.

The same laptop is responsible for image uploads from my cameras.

Phil.

Offline 28Coupe

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 11:29:28 AM »

I contacted a retailer and received an email advising .....

OK. 
1.  Whatever retailer you contacted -- doesn't have a clue.  One trick pony.  Etc.

I contacted a major online “Weather” retailer. The exact question I asked was “Will the Data Logger work with other software or just Davis?” their response was “Finally, we are not aware of a third-party software that is compatible to the data-logger.”

2.  If you aren't "technical", why would you want to get complicated, by having 3rd party software, etc.?

When it comes to technical. I understand, for the most part, Apple and Windows systems. I have both at home. I have, in the past, asked questions on other forums and some of the responses came back so technical and jargon filled…that…well…let’s just leave it at that.  My point was to keep it fairly simple and not “geek out.”
Again, I was left with the impression that I could only use Davis’ software, which confused me. I follow a couple of sites and really like their "look" and the way information is presented. They were using other software. That is why the 3rd party software questions. And since I know that others use 3rd party, the retailer’s answer really confused me.

3.  I'm assuming you have an internet connection, and a PC.

Everything is wireless. The Weather Station is approximately 140 plus feet from my office where my computers are. The console is located in our living room. I want the console to remain in the living area so all can see. I will be getting a separate Windows based unit for the weather station.

4.  Consider the Davis WeatherLinkIP (6555).  It's the closest thing to plug-and-play that you can get.

5.  I'm sure that other folks will suggest more complicated things.

Thanks,

Greg

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 11:49:11 AM »
Thanks for the clarifications - and I apologize for not understanding "technical".

I contacted a major online “Weather” retailer. The exact question I asked was “Will the Data Logger work with other software or just Davis?” their response was “Finally, we are not aware of a third-party software that is compatible to the data-logger.”

Whatever "major" retailer you contacted - isn't awake.  Several 3rd party software packages are compatible with Davis (and other) loggers.

Everything is wireless. The Weather Station is approximately 140 plus feet from my office where my computers are. The console is located in our living room. I want the console to remain in the living area so all can see. I will be getting a separate Windows based unit for the weather station.

In that case, I recommend a regular console at your weather station computer (i.e., not the Envoy).

Lots of software alternatives, then, depending on your objectives.  Do you plan to have your own personal web site?  [or perhaps you already have one?].  Or are you just interested in Weather Underground?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 12:07:28 PM by dalecoy »

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 05:52:52 PM »
Only if you want to also see a display in your office would you go with a normal console, otherwise use an Envoy.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 07:07:31 PM »
Only if you want to also see a display in your office would you go with a normal console, otherwise use an Envoy.
I have my Davis console in our dining area so we can quickly see current weather and what happened overnight (and also to compare my station to what AccuWeather says through my smart thermostat ;) )
and a USB Envoy connecting the datalogger to my weather computer.  If I was to do it again I likely would get a second console instead of the Envoy, just so that I could observe the console data when I am working on the computer.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 11:48:18 PM »
Consoles suck.  IMO.  I use a cheap tablet instead.  Full colour, touchscreen etc.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 03:46:05 AM »

Hardly sell any Envoys here in the UK, there ends up being little price-saving vs a standard console bought in a station. And the display is always handy as an operational check if any issue is suspected. For anyone not interested in supplementary transmitters, other than wind, then a Vue console is another option if bought as a separate part.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 05:26:12 AM »

Hardly sell any Envoys here in the UK, there ends up being little price-saving vs a standard console bought in a station. And the display is always handy as an operational check if any issue is suspected. For anyone not interested in supplementary transmitters, other than wind, then a Vue console is another option if bought as a separate part.

I like your use of words but I do understand the difference :) An Envoy is much the same price as a Vue console but about 30% cheaper than a VP2 console yet the Envoy in sensor terms does everything the VP2 console does which of course the Vue has limitations. The VP2 console in some applications is simply an absolute waste of space, too big, too bulky, requires more power etc but maybe in the UK most weather stations may be just a display device?     

« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 05:33:15 AM by Mattk »

Offline Phil23

• Senior Contributor
    • Phil's Backyard
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2017, 06:22:46 PM »
So to walk you thru a Cumulus Setup it would basically be like this.

Assuming a USB connection first & a Windows PC.

Install CumulusMX; it will just unzip into C:\CumulusMX.
Go to that folder, Right Click on CumulusMX.exe & choose run as administrator.

You get a DOS box running it that has a little bit of info.

Open your Browser & go to localhost:8998 and you'll see something like this.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

You can configure your station & online services from there.

An IP Davis logger is similar, but will need to be physically plugged in to the network.
It cant connect to the network wirelessly.

Phil

Offline 28Coupe

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2017, 10:55:46 AM »
Thank you for the suggestions.

To answer a couple of questions:

The major retailer I mentioned can be found in a Google search of weather stations. They are one of the first listings on the page. They even have "Weather" in their name. I surmise their answer is predicated on their need to sell software.

I like the idea of the console. I spend a fair amount of time in the office.

I do eventually expect to either have a separate website or add it to another I am setting up.

Again,

Thanks for your help and suggestions!

Greg

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2017, 01:11:37 PM »
The major retailer I mentioned can be found in a Google search of weather stations. They are one of the first listings on the page. They even have "Weather" in their name. I surmise their answer is predicated on their need to sell software.

"they" aren't selling software - the WeatherLink software comes "free" with any Davis logger.

And if you want recommendations on where to buy stuff, just ask here - or search the forum.  It's not hard, and we name names, etc. etc.

Offline 28Coupe

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2017, 01:13:20 PM »
Thanks!

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2017, 02:30:15 PM »
FWIW, the Envoy8X also has less numerical precision; for example, (a) baro is only XX.XX inHg vs. VP2 = XX.XXX inHg and (b) dewpoint is only XX vs. VP2 = XX.X. However, in its favor, the 'extra' external temps are XX.X vs XX with the VP2.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 04:17:10 PM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2017, 06:29:32 PM »
FWIW, the Envoy8X also has less numerical precision; for example, (a) baro is only XX.XX inHg vs. VP2 = XX.XXX inHg and (b) dewpoint is only XX vs. VP2 = XX.X. However, in its favor, the 'extra' external temps are XX.X vs XX with the VP2.

Not to sure of the relevance of those figures when both the Envoy8X & VP2 Barometric pressure has an uncorrected accuracy of +/- 0.03" and both measured in 0.01"Hg with any conversion rounded to 0.1mm, 0.1hPa or 0.1mb. Yes you may see xx.xxx" Hg in some logged data but it is totally meaningless with regard to the spec.

Similar with temperature, accuracy is related to temperature and sensor combination and even thou one might be able to select 0.1°F or 0.1°C there isn't a lot of meaning when the conversion are rounded etc   

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2017, 06:46:15 PM »

Not to sure of the relevance of those figures when both the Envoy8X & VP2 Barometric pressure has an uncorrected accuracy of +/- 0.03" and both measured in 0.01"Hg with any conversion rounded to 0.1mm, 0.1hPa or 0.1mb. Yes you may see xx.xxx" Hg in some logged data but it is totally meaningless with regard to the spec.

Similar with temperature, accuracy is related to temperature and sensor combination and even thou one might be able to select 0.1°F or 0.1°C there isn't a lot of meaning when the conversion are rounded etc   
The accuracy is indeed +/- 0.03", but you can dial in with greater precision what you want with a resolution at 1 foot vice 10 feet. I used this with my VP2 before I got the Vue.

Offline rosegeek

• Laketown PWS
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2017, 03:30:44 PM »

I contacted a retailer and received an email advising that I need Davis Wireless Weather Envoy (6316) and the Davis USB Data-Logger w/ Windows WeatherLink Software (6510USB) to work with the VP2. I asked about third party software and would it work? I was told.. “Finally, we are not aware of third-party software that is compatible to the data-logger.”
I look at other sites and I see a variety of different types software being used. One I site I visit frequently is using Weather Display.

What gives? What am I missing?

Thanks!

Greg

I am changing my setup to eliminate the need for an "always on" PC using the Ambient Weatherbridge.  Plug the USB datalogger in and ethernet/wifi to your router.  It's about $200 solution and there are less expensive ways, but although I am an Engineer, I'm not a software guy, so this is the route I am taking.
Davis VP2, Meteobridge TPLink, PWS linked to Rachio Sprinkler System.
http://weather.gloryhomemi.com
http://weatherconsole.gloryhomemi.com