Author Topic: Vantage Pro 3 - Wish List  (Read 25324 times)

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: Vantage Pro 3 - Wish List
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2015, 08:32:05 AM »
Personally, I don't care about "eye candy" and glitz. The VP2 console is functional and reliable. As I indicated previously, my preferences for a "VP3" would be a "big brother" version of the VUE console. I like the layout and functionality of the VUE console, but unfortunately it doesn't support the range of sensor readout that the VP2 does.

As far as not needing a console is concerned, I like and need the ability to just glance over at the console. I prefer this to firing up a Windows or Smartphone app. I never need to "minimize" my consoles, I can just look at them. Eliminating the console would be a big mistake in my opinion. I recently bought a slightly dysfunctional Netatmo and repaired it. I dislike needing to use an "app" to be able to read the sensors which is required on Netatmo.

Of course, the phone or computer app is useful when I am away from home.

I realize that this is all personal preference, so I'm just expressing mine. To each his/her own. With the Envoy, the computer/phone viewing option is available, and any future VP3 should keep that available for those who don't need the console.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2015, 10:57:09 AM »
I got tired of the Vue console, the need to get close to read it and the indoor temp problems when the backlight is on. I bought cheap $35 Android tablet, made a website template that shows what I want (updated every 10 seconds via Ajax), created a free android app and just use that now.

The only advantage I see in the current console is that it can run for days on battery power. The limits of the current console compared to what could be had with a modified tablet makes the current setup really outdated. Just think if you could change your console display to show whatever you want or need in a format that fits you, have basically all the memory you want or need, a web server built in, etc. For those that just have to have the long run time on battery, offer the old console as an option.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2015, 11:14:07 AM »
This is exactly it guys...

I agree that the console and its design itself has no effect on the measurements, but that still does not mean it is not important. We don´t buy products purely because of their function. If I had it, I would go for the console less option too and do the exact same thing - buy a cheap tablet and use my website. But... then think about the majority, I think the majority of VP2 owners don´t even send their data online and the console is something they have at home to look at. And not only it is bulky and (my opinion) ugly. And it is not just the design, but if it was a nice color touchscreen display it would not only look better but also be able to provide much better information and info to people for whom this is the only way they look at their data.

I agree that the sensors is what matters the most and in this respect I really was quite positively surprised, or not really surprised, because I expected it to be the best and yesterday I saw it myself and I did not change my opnion.

Just a little comprison.... when you buy a car, I guess for most of us, the design is not the number one priority and things such as performance, handling, fuel consupmtion (especially for us Europeans :D), size etc. is what matters the most. Yet I still doubt you would buy something like this (see picture) even if it drove pretty well :D

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2015, 11:18:48 AM »
Hey, that is like a picture of my new vehicle... just a different grill.

Paul

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2015, 11:49:14 AM »
So, I asked:

Why is appearance so important?

And all I see in response are complaints about functionality and ability to customize and lack of color.

I appreciate that those things would be nice.  But - for the purchaser who wants a measurement display to hang on the wall or sit on the table --

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2015, 11:50:35 AM »
OK, then this one :D

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2015, 11:51:37 AM »
So, I asked:

And all I see in response are complaints about functionality and ability to customize and lack of color.

I appreciate that those things would be nice.  But - for the purchaser who wants a measurement display to hang on the wall or sit on the table --

Because if the display was in color and the whole console more modern it would not only look better but it would be able to provide much more than just those ugly simple BW graphs. If people only use the console to view their data then this is a limitation.

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2015, 12:05:20 PM »
So, I asked:

Easy, you could actually have a display that is readable across the room. One that showed readable and understandable graphs, one that had enough memory that could show years of past data, one that didn't need an expensive data logger if they ever wanted to upload data to the internet or view details of their weather station from their phone or tablet. That is only a few advantages of using a more advanced display.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2015, 12:12:32 PM »
... it would be able to provide much more than just those ugly simple BW graphs. If people only use the console to view their data then this is a limitation.

Functionality - not appearance.

Easy, you could actually have a display that is readable across the room. One that showed readable and understandable graphs, one that had enough memory that could show years of past data, one that didn't need an expensive data logger if they ever wanted to upload data to the internet or view details of their weather station from their phone or tablet. That is only a few advantages of using a more advanced display.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2015, 12:16:12 PM »

Because if the display was in color and the whole console more modern it would look better

OK

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2015, 12:16:54 PM »
... it would be able to provide much more than just those ugly simple BW graphs. If people only use the console to view their data then this is a limitation.

The console has nothing to do with functionality. 99% of the important stuff for functionality and accuracy is done by the ISS. Truthfully, my app is many times more functional as a display than the Vue console. Tell me, how is the current console more functional than an undated, nicer looking display would be?

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2015, 12:18:30 PM »

Because if the display was in color and the whole console more modern it would look better

OK

Well the problem is that they go hand in hand - it looks ugly and outdated BECAUSE it is BW, bulky etc. So if it for example had a nice touchscreen color display and be thiner etc., it would also look better.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2015, 12:59:45 PM »

The console has nothing to do with functionality. 99% of the important stuff for functionality and accuracy is done by the ISS. Truthfully, my app is many times more functional as a display than the Vue console. Tell me, how is the current console more functional than an undated, nicer looking display would be?
:???:

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2015, 01:07:49 PM »
Actually, I can see a case for both approaches.

Don't ignore the fact that quite a number of users do appreciate the fact that a console on long-life (eg 6 months) battery power is portable and so can be moved from room to room etc. Also, there's a significant subset of users who run a console away from a mains supply, eg outdoors (in a shelter of course) for research or monitoring projects and similarly prefer a long-life battery. A tablet-type screen is unlikely to be able to do this with present technology.

And, equally obviously, there's another constituency of user who will prefer the cosmetics and customisability of the tablet screen.

The standard Vue/VP2 provides for the first group and the upcoming MeteoBridge Pro will be ideal for the latter. Which way Davis will jump for some future version of the VP2, well, who knows? Maybe they'll keep the existing console design for the first group and develop their own version of MB Pro to service those who want a more appealing display (on their own tablet/phone).
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline ericfynne

• Contributor
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2015, 02:04:46 PM »
it looks ugly and outdated BECAUSE it is BW, bulky etc.
I actually like the way the VP2 console looks. Then again, I like the way those two cars you posted look. Perhaps I'm just odd  :lol:

Eric

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2015, 02:13:40 PM »
OK, then this would be the ideal solution for you Eric :D

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2015, 02:36:51 PM »
Jachym that still says Vantage Pro 2
isn't this about 3 ;) , but I like it.
Paul

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2015, 03:25:27 PM »
Mark

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2015, 03:55:11 PM »
it looks ugly and outdated BECAUSE it is BW, bulky etc.
I actually like the way the VP2 console looks. Then again, I like the way those two cars you posted look.
Eric

I agree with you.  And I absolutely hate the example that Jachym posted.  Oh, the appearance is OK - but the functionality is terrible.  I can't see, at a glance, without fiddling with pushbuttons, the things I want to be able to see at a glance.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2015, 04:12:12 PM »
I can't see, at a glance, without fiddling with pushbuttons, the things I want to be able to see at a glance.

And that's another bifurcation. Some want to see key parameters at some little distance (eg across the room) and arguably the Rainwise Oracle display comes closer to meeting this requirement with its large LED-type characters than the VP2 or Vue do with their limited contrast, smaller font LCD display. Maybe a good-sized e-ink screen (eg Kindle Voyage or larger) would be another option, but probably not in the right price-range for a VP3 solution.

But for detailed graphical analysis then you need to be relatively close-up to the screen if using anything other than a TV size monitor.

Just goes to prove....there isn't a one size fits all solution.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2015, 04:19:42 PM »
This s my favorite graph and its already available. Love the scroll ability. http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KNEVALEN2
Randy

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2015, 04:32:42 PM »
I can't see, at a glance, without fiddling with pushbuttons, the things I want to be able to see at a glance.

... arguably the Rainwise Oracle display comes closer to meeting this requirement with its large LED-type characters than the VP2 or Vue do with their limited contrast, smaller font LCD display.

Perhaps, but (my opinion) the general appearance of that Rainwise display is quite similar to that of the VP2 console.  Yes, it has LED numbers (old technology), and a perhaps-more-stylish frame, but it's generally the same appearance.  And they both show quickly the most relevant current weather measurements.

For detailed examination of the history of particular measurements and segments, something entirely different is required, in terms of functionality.

The question would be how many PWS customers, who only have a console (not doing any uploads to anywhere, not running any local weather software, etc.) -- actually want to be able to do that detailed examination of weather history.   My guess: virtually none.  I believe that it's highly likely that anybody who is interested in "personal weather history" is going to be at least running weather software locally, and probably will be uploading data to one or more sites (like Weather Underground).
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 05:16:23 PM by dalecoy »

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2015, 05:13:35 PM »
@dalecoy: I don't think we disagree at all. Just saying that side by side, the Oracle display is much more clearly visible at some distance than the Vue/VP2. I've never come across anyone who seriously uses the little plot area on the VP2 display, other than for calling up adjacent max/min values for anyone who doesn't have a logger connection.

And, equally, provided you have a high-contrast but high resolution screen then it could easily switch between key parameters and graphical display/analysis; but for the latter then you need proximity to the screen and, almost certainly, some means of easily calling up the equivalent of user-controlled plot mode in Weatherlink (even if there's a - configurable - default standard plot as a starting point).
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2015, 05:20:07 PM »
... Just saying that side by side, the Oracle display is much more clearly visible at some distance than the Vue/VP2.

...but requires an AC supply to do that.

Please see the last paragraph that I just added to my previous post.  It's my take on the actual need for more console functionality.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2015, 05:22:39 PM »
It should be able to make coffee

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

anything