Author Topic: Vantage Pro 2 - Weatherlink Software - Serial to USB - Issues  (Read 1124 times)

Offline XImpalerX

Vantage Pro 2 - Weatherlink Software - Serial to USB - Issues
« on: November 22, 2019, 04:05:47 PM »
Hello,

I have a Vantage Pro 2, connected to a Windows 10 PC via Serial to USB, and have installed Weatherlink software. I am trying to set the COM port in communications settings and it just will not detect it.

I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the driver, changing the port, setting the baud rate, using drivers from different manufacurers, power cycling the Weather Station, shutting down the PC, powering on the station, the PC, and nothing is working. The Serial to USB adapter is made by Gigaware.

Any ideas?

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Vantage Pro 2 - Weatherlink Software - Serial to USB - Issues
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 04:32:41 PM »
Difficult to know, but does the USB adapter have an FTDI chipset? Some adapters with non-FTDI chipsets have been reported as having problems, potentially because the driver is older and may not be properly win10-compatible. Might be worth acquiring an adapter that definitely does have FTDI. At least that would rule out one possible cause.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 04:51:23 PM »
Maybe give the USB a shot. Mines ~8 years old with Win10 and it works just fine.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 08:55:47 PM »
Definitely agree with johnd. The Gigaware Serial to USB adapter uses the Prolific chipset. No bueno. Much better to use an adapter with the FTDI chipset. I like the Gearmo version that uses the FTDI chipset because it has LED lights. It can help confirm that the connection with the serial device was established and that data is flowing. Reminds me of the dialup modem days. Depending on your setup these LED lights may or may not be desirable as they may be distracting. They aren't terribly bright though. Another good choice the the Sabrent brand but you need to be sure you get the one with the FTDI chipset as they make both types. They are clearly labeled so you should not have a problem finding the right one.

Gearmo
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AHYJWWG

Sabrent
https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Serial-Adapter-Chipset-CB-FTDI/dp/B006AA04K0/

My use for the Serial to USB is adapters is for a multitude of network devices from enterprise network routers and switches and KVM switches, or with any device with a serial console connection, and even to just tinkering with hidden serial ports on many electronic devices. Having an FTDI chipset ensures easy reliable connections with Windows 10, Linux (and probably with macOS too although I don't use that.)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 09:31:37 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline XImpalerX

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 09:49:58 AM »
Thanks guys, I went ahead and ordered both of them and will see how it goes.

Offline XImpalerX

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 04:41:10 PM »
I found that the issue was that I had to enter the setup mode on the Vantage Pro 2 and set the baud rate to 19200. What I was reading basically just said to make sure the COM port was set to 19200 and made it seem like that was the default on the Vantage Pro 2.

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 04:45:29 PM »
19200 is indeed the factory default. If your console was set to a different value then at some point someone must have changed the setting away from the default.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

anything