Author Topic: advforecast v.4.05 Force Update  (Read 986 times)

Offline tshattuck

• Forecaster
    • Your Local Weather - Clay, NY
advforecast v.4.05 Force Update
« on: February 14, 2021, 05:35:52 PM »
Ken:
Over the past 2 weeks I've had to force script advforecast v.4.05 to update several times. Today I had to force 3 times. I am not sure what to look for when viewing the page source.
Is this an issue with the NWS API or is something wrong with my scripts?

Per your suggestion I gave up on using the latest advforecast2.php script two months ago due to numerous data feed issues at my local NWS office.
I haven't made any changes in the last 2 months so I am assuming it's the NWS.

http://yourlocalweather-clay-ny.com/wxforecast.php

I also have experienced the same problem over the past 2 weeks with:  http://yourlocalweather-clay-ny.com/wxforecast-discussion.php
I attached a copy of the cache file for your review.

Your assistance is appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 06:08:50 PM by tshattuck »

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Re: advforecast v.4.05 Force Update
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 06:29:00 PM »
Neither the advforecast2.php V4.05 nor the forecast-discussion script use api.weather.gov for data.  They use webpages (the weather.gov point printable text forecast from forecast.weather.gov and www.crh.noaa.gov for the forecast discussion).  The NWS websites all seem to use Akamai cache servers to serve up content, and your attached sample shows the Akamai cache server had a server error (503) for the forecast discussion.

Sadly enough, it's been happening more frequently lately.  I check https://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/status/messages/ for messages about service outages.   Looking at the cache file for the script can indicate that a non-200 HTTP response was involved.

Doing a view-source of the page with ?force=1 will show the details of the curl fetch for the data.

Hope this helps...  nothing we can do about the NWS networking issues.  We can report persistent issues to nco.ops@noaa.gov to open a trouble ticket.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline tshattuck

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 06:36:40 PM »
Ken:
Just wanted to make sure there was nothing wrong on my end. I was able to capture the view source for advforecast.php and have attached below. Maybe you will see something there, I didn't see anything.

The NWS definitely makes this frustrating.  ](*,)

Thanks for the feedback.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 06:40:51 PM by tshattuck »

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 07:06:08 PM »
The 'it's working' is shown by
Code: [Select]
<!-- curl fetching 'https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=43.0504&lon=-76.1474&unit=0&lg=english&FcstType=text&TextType=2' -->
<!-- HTTP stats:  RC=200 dest=184.84.228.8 port=443 (from sce=65.60.10.114)
      Times: dns=0.000 conn=0.002 pxfer=0.022 get=0.008 total=0.030 secs -->
which indicates success (RC=200).

If RC!=200, then the fetch failed and the response headers would be shown and indicate the issue.  RC=503 means Server Error.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline tshattuck

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 08:21:50 PM »
Ken:
I just learned something new.  :eek:
I guess your never too old to learn.

Thanks for the info, I will keep it in my files for future reference.

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2021, 09:02:02 AM »
You know me, Ken...Ed with the twelve thumbs (well, that's just six on each hand<g>).  I had no idea what was going on with the forecasts going stale on my little website.  I was reading this thread and trying to figure out how to "force" advforecast to run and maybe update.  I went to the wonderful website Godaddy, which I'm still with and opened up the advforecast2 file that I've been running for...2 years(?).  After opening it I of course had no idea what I was looking at and on a whim checked BeeWeather out and lo' and behond the forecast was update!  Not sure what caused that, I'm happy to see it updated but don't know if it will update or not.  Just wanted to pass this along...probably not worth much info-wise, but figured I'd share the experience in case it might be useful.  Thanks for all the work you do for us!  Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

anything