Author Topic: signall checking?  (Read 780 times)

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
signall checking?
« on: November 12, 2014, 07:17:14 PM »
How strange to hit BO live maps and see zero for Region 3...  North America
Since no flashes, this would be excellent time to check your stations for noise, and excessive gain, for example. 
Good time to go all manual and adjust for and troubleshoot those bothersome intermittent, or constant signals...
Go to participants page, you don't even need to log in... and see the Signals column.

You might think that best 'locally' optimized stations would have lowest signal counts... that may not necessarily be true
under normal 'storm cell' activity... and this doesn't mean you have a 'bad' station....   but if you've got a high number of counts, this may be a good time try and track down some causes and effects.... enjoy!

The other things you'll note, is that cranking up LMOrg stoke display, you'll still see some false positives, and some are in weird locations....

Mike
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 07:20:03 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
Re: signall checking?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 07:34:06 PM »
Oh.. BTW if you are cycling in and out interference mode, or are currently in interference, you signal count will be lower, and that could be misleading since interference mode disables signal transmission,.
This could be / is quite common operating in AUTO, which is why I suggest go all manual with both Auto noise, auto amplitude filters off... take another crack at those pesky signals....

Offline StElmo

Re: signal checking
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 10:16:18 AM »
I have noticed very different appearing waveforms between "Live Signals" as seen from the {Red} controller's web page and "Last Signal ... one of the latest signals sent to the server". There were times I wondered if the server was showing me someone else's signals; they were so different in general appearance.

However, the attached screen shot, with time stamps nanoseconds apart, appears to be the same signal, with the one served up locally much less noisy than the waveform from the server. This would lead one to believe they had better signals than is the case. There is considerable filtering out of high frequency components as displayed in the "Live Signals". If this is documented in the manuals, I missed it.

Blitzortung station 1168, region 3, Red system

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 10:56:18 AM »
The signals from the station are simply 'raw' signals... an extreme amount of signal manipulation is done on the server. Currently, with the Green and Red stations, very little, beyond minor filtering and bandwidth, is done locally. The server determines what is a strike, and actually currently operates on (generally) 2 paradigms.... TOA (time of arrival) and TOGA (time of group arrival) of the discharge pulse (discharge pulses and associated signals), depending on system and quality of the signal.  You could say it has "images" of what a stroke looks like, and "filters out" other "junk" not needed. (Not strictly true, but... I'm simple minded".... What you see 'normally' on your 'server' signal is what the system used...
This video shows some of the Raw Processing (click image to play in new window)

and this shows differences between two variations of Red stations, same signals, 80 miles apart

Mike

Offline StElmo

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 07:54:38 PM »
Thanks Cutty / Mike.

What did you use to record the screenshot videos? Tnx.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 08:04:06 PM by StElmo »
Blitzortung station 1168, region 3, Red system