Author Topic: Routine Pilot Reports  (Read 6859 times)

Offline Harryca

• Forecaster
    • Union City, CA Weather
Routine Pilot Reports
« on: September 12, 2015, 03:20:31 PM »
I see these occasionally in the IEMBOT RSS feed.  Anyone care to decipher?  Is there any way to tell what flight it is and where they are?

•Routine pilot report at 1856Z: RRL UA /OV AUW017019 /TM 1856 /FL050 /TP SR22 /TA 05 /WV 34911KT /TB CONS LGT /IC NEG /RM AEROVIEREPORTS

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Routine Pilot Reports
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 03:38:59 PM »
I see these occasionally in the IEMBOT RSS feed.  Anyone care to decipher?  Is there any way to tell what flight it is and where they are?

•Routine pilot report at 1856Z: RRL UA /OV AUW017019 /TM 1856 /FL050 /TP SR22 /TA 05 /WV 34911KT /TB CONS LGT /IC NEG /RM AEROVIEREPORTS
I'll give you what I know. It's 19 miles south of Wausau, Wisconsin @ 1856z reported by a Cirrus SR22 (beautiful little civil) @ 5000'. I'm not sure why they're reporting, because I see nothing of consequence.

Offline Harryca

• Forecaster
    • Union City, CA Weather
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 04:39:00 PM »
Oh, okay.  That helps.  Thanks.  About the only part I could figure out was TB CONS LGT that I interpreted as "turbulence cons(idered)? light" which is probably why he made the report.  Does that sound right?  I have seen a few in the past that read TB MOD SVR (turbulence moderate to severe)?, TB LGT, or TB NEG. 

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 05:36:01 PM »
Oh, okay.  That helps.  Thanks.  About the only part I could figure out was TB CONS LGT that I interpreted as "turbulence cons(idered)? light" which is probably why he made the report.  Does that sound right?  I have seen a few in the past that read TB MOD SVR (turbulence moderate to severe)?, TB LGT, or TB NEG.
Yes, you're right, light turbulence appears to be the reason he called it in. I can't find what CONS means (could be considered) and I've been out of the business too long to remember.  #-o

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 11:11:28 PM »
Bet Cons is an typo. I think it should be CONDS.  Which is for conditions.

John

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 12:02:00 AM »
Bet Cons is an typo. I think it should be CONDS.  Which is for conditions.

John
You very well may be right.

Offline Harryca

• Forecaster
    • Union City, CA Weather
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 12:59:30 AM »
Ahhh, Google to the rescue... CONS: Continuous.  I couldn't find it in the WX abbreviations sites but, I just happened to spot it in a Google site description.

https://www.fltplan.com/abbreviations.htm
http://www.moratech.com/aviation/metaf-abbrev.html

And for others who are interested, here is the format of a PIREP (Pilot Report).

Mandatory
UA or UUA used to identify the PIREP as routine or urgent (Note: in Canada this is indicated by the prefix to the PIREP: "UACN01" for an urgent PIREP or "UACN10" for a normal PIREP)
/OV location of the PIREP, in relation to a NAVAID, an aerodrome or geographical coordinates
/TM time the PIREP was received from the pilot (UTC)
/FL flight level or altitude above sea level at the time the PIREP is filed; it is essential for turbulence and icing reports
/TP aircraft type; it is essential for turbulence and icing reports

Optional (at least one is required)
/SK sky cover
/TA ambient temperature; important for icing reports
/WV wind velocity referenced in terms of true north (ICAO), or magnetic north (in the United States)
/TB turbulence; intensity, whether it occurred in or near clouds, and duration
/IC icing
/RM remarks
/WX flight visibility and weather

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilot_report

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 01:24:34 AM »
Yes, of course, continuous! I can't believe I spaced that so badly! I've only heard it used in conjunction with chop or turbulence reports about a million times. I knew stating conditions is redundant but couldn't think of anything else. Now I can sleep well tonight.   :grin:

anything