Author Topic: Calypso Ultrasonic Portable  (Read 904 times)

Offline safuser

Calypso Ultrasonic Portable
« on: March 19, 2020, 11:38:25 AM »
Is anyone using a Calypso Ultrasonic Portable anemometer?  I have one and am using an Arduino Adafruit Feather ESP32 as part of a home brew weather station to get data from it over BLE.  I am finding that the reported Temp seems to be low by about 4-5 degrees F.  Has anyone else seen this?

Offline doubleohwhatever

• Senior Contributor
Re: Calypso Ultrasonic Portable
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 10:25:53 PM »
I wasn't even aware it existed before now. Seems a bit odd that it tops out at 25 m/s with the company name being "Calypso Marine Instruments". Wind gusts in marine environments can definitely exceed that during storms.

It also looks like the enclosure might be resin 3d printed or machined from a solid chunk of material. Can't tell which but it definitely doesn't look like the enclosure is injected molded. If it's resin printed then I would be concerned about durability in the elements. Either way it looks like they're trying to get by without having to deal with expensive injection molds. That's totally fine but between the enclosure and the max wind speed, I would expect the price to be a bit lower.

Offline safuser

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 10:40:31 PM »
Specs I see say 0-40m/s?

Offline doubleohwhatever

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 10:43:55 PM »
Maybe I found the wrong product via Google. Do you have a link for the one you have?

Offline the beteljuice

• the beteljuice
  • Forecaster
    • test site
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 10:46:21 PM »
Manual also says ..

"Secondary sensors .... give approximate information. ... These sensors are not calibrated and should not be used."

So why provide them ?
Imagine what you will KNOW tomorrow !

Offline doubleohwhatever

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 10:47:53 PM »
This is what I found:
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline doubleohwhatever

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2020, 11:08:11 PM »
https://www.windmetersystems.com/ultrasonic-anemometers

https://www.itabnav.com/280-calypso-wind-instrument.html

Those look like reseller/distributor sites. I was reading the 25 m/s from the Calypso website:
https://calypsoinstruments.com/shop/product/ultrasonic-portable-7

The manual on the Calypso site also states 25 m/s. However, the manual linked to from the "windmetersystems.com" site says 40 m/s.

So which is it? Did they reliably increase the range to 40 m/s via a firmware update or did they just send re-sellers info that says 40 m/s because they knew 25 m/s was a bit low? I have no clue but between this discrepancy and the fact that the manual on the calypso site says the secondary sensors are not reliable, I wouldn't pay what they are asking for this device. In regards to the secondary sensors, the manual literally states:

"These secondary sensors are not meant to be scientific instruments"

and

"These secondary sensors are not calibrated and should not be used"

So as beteljuice said, why even include them? Perhaps those sensors are included on an off-shelf circuit board they're using inside the device but if those sensors are that useless then they'd be better off just disabling them and not even mentioning them in the manual or online literature.

Page from manual found on the Calypso website:
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 11:12:32 PM by doubleohwhatever »

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2020, 07:11:02 AM »
"These secondary sensors are not calibrated and should not be used"

So as beteljuice said, why even include them? Perhaps those sensors are included on an off-shelf circuit board they're using inside the device but if those sensors are that useless then they'd be better off just disabling them and not even mentioning them in the manual or online literature.

They need a rough temperature, humidity, and probably also barometer to compensate for the speed of sound changes in the wind measurements. Since the readings are already there, I guess they decided to share them...albeit with a disclaimer that they are not calibrated.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

anything