Author Topic: Hope everyone is ok...Wash your hands.  (Read 58037 times)

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
Re: Hope everyone is ok...Wash your hands.
« Reply #750 on: May 15, 2020, 03:54:45 AM »
I, in no way, act or acted superior to others as you've inferred.  It is evident that our experiences have been different, I was sharing mine.  Where wxforum was once a place of friendly debate on occasion I see that it is now a place for some members to point misguided fingers and promote their "you're wrong, I'm right, it's your fault" attitudes.  Respond as you will, but I'm through with this conversation.  Best wishes.

I guess I missed the friendliness and smile behind your words when you wrote this:

I agree, too, that that most of the scowling, worried-looking  people usually aren't wearing masks.  It's almost like they know they should be wearing a mask and are for some reason angry that they've been "caught" without one (though they knew very well when they left the house they weren't wearing one).  Go figure, eh? :roll:

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #751 on: May 15, 2020, 09:08:06 AM »
Yesterday-Most of the people and workers at Hyvee (grocery store) had masks on.
Still surprised the at a few that had it over their mouths and not noses.  #-o

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #752 on: May 15, 2020, 09:12:11 AM »
We opened all restaurants but they can only be 1/2 capacity for a couple more weeks. Beauty salons and barbershops are open, very few are wearing mask, but I still do.

They just did a random 125 people test 2 days ago and found zero new cases.  =D>

The shut down was done to stop hospitals from overflowing.  Most hospitals look like a ghost town. Who said this shutdown was to last until a cure was found?  Or is it just until November?  I think its the latter.

Those with the luxury of steady income like government workers school teachers or collect a pension and SS check ( I'm in this class) this is a piece of cake but not everyone has that luxury many businesses are at a financial breaking point of collapse if they can't reopen.

The last thing I'm going to do is complain about businesses reopening. I'll just protect myself most likely herd immunity will be the only way this ends anyway.
Randy

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #753 on: May 15, 2020, 09:50:41 AM »
Bad data => bad decisions.

https://wmbriggs.com/post/30833/

BTW, we still don't have data that's worth a darn!  They're still trying to make silk purses out of sows ears.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #754 on: May 15, 2020, 03:44:17 PM »
I like XKCD's comic today

Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #755 on: May 15, 2020, 05:10:06 PM »
I made my weekly trip to the grocery store today for the essentials (beer and wine). Like last time about 2/3 of the people had masks but a few weren't wearing them correctly, not covering the nose or worse using them as chin guards.
There seemed to be plenty of TP but not a great selection.
Totally out of liquid dishwashing soap.
Plenty of flour and some yeast this week.
No noticeable meat shortage yet.
No shortage of milk or eggs.

I guess I missed the friendliness and smile behind your words...
That's the problem with forums and why threads sometimes go off the rails. You can't see the smile, or the twinkle in the eye, or hear the tone of voice.

Off topic but your user name reminded of a backcountry trip I did years ago (before I became elderly) in the Wind River Range. Here is a poor scan of one of my 35mm slides. That's Clark lake in the lower background, behind the skier, where we camped the previous night.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 05:19:23 PM by Jim_S »

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #756 on: May 16, 2020, 01:02:20 AM »
I made my weekly trip to the grocery store today for the essentials (beer and wine). Like last time about 2/3 of the people had masks but a few weren't wearing them correctly, not covering the nose or worse using them as chin guards.
There seemed to be plenty of TP but not a great selection.
Totally out of liquid dishwashing soap.
Plenty of flour and some yeast this week.
No noticeable meat shortage yet.
No shortage of milk or eggs.
I've go to the store usually once every week or two, my buying habits haven't changed as I'm always stocked up on essentials and could go weeks/months, who knows how long if I had to.  I guess I'm kind of a survivalist at heart to begin with.  I haven't even had to buy TP, dishwashing soap, or anything since this all started, but it looked like the store here is stocked about the same as yours.  No shortages of anything I need yet. 

I think most of the employees wore masks, all correctly as far as I noticed, and about none of the shoppers.  But then I go in late at night when I am pretty much the only shopper.  But I think it was pretty much the same at the farm and ranch store today where basically only the employees were wearing masks.  But people do pretty much seem to keep their distance as requested.  (Which reminds me, I haven't checked to see if deodorant is in stock since the panic started either.)  I just think masks are not a big thing around here for good or bad.  Not to minimize it, but it all seems like kind of a big experiment to me as to what really works and where.  I'm not real social or live right on top of my neighbors or anything to begin with.

Off topic but your user name reminded of a backcountry trip I did years ago (before I became elderly) in the Wind River Range. Here is a poor scan of one of my 35mm slides. That's Clark lake in the lower background, behind the skier, where we camped the previous night.
[tup] Looks like you came a good time of the year, around the beginning of July?  :lol:  Beautiful country.  I don't think I've been to Clark Lake, though it's not far from where I've been cutting firewood.  Do you remember if you took the Highline Trail or came from New Fork Lake?

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #757 on: May 16, 2020, 03:22:50 PM »
Not to minimize it, but it all seems like kind of a big experiment to me as to what really works and where.  I'm not real social or live right on top of my neighbors or anything to begin with.
I agree. Your area hasn't been hit nearly as hard as mine so it make sense that people are less concerned. The population density is way less too which makes a big difference.

[tup] Looks like you came a good time of the year, around the beginning of July?  :lol:  Beautiful country.  I don't think I've been to Clark Lake, though it's not far from where I've been cutting firewood.  Do you remember if you took the Highline Trail or came from New Fork Lake?
We did the trip in early March, circa 1985. No trails that I ever saw, all cross country. We started from the ski area outside Pinedale and finished at New Fork Lake (car shuttle back). In order we camped, near Photographers point, Island Lakes (2 nights with a side trip to Titcomb lakes valley), Peak Lake, Clark Lake, and near New Fork Park.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #758 on: May 16, 2020, 05:38:03 PM »
Stores looked more stocked this week.

Now for more humor. Apologies in advance.

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #759 on: May 16, 2020, 05:52:54 PM »
It is raining out. So I am inside.......

« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 05:55:14 PM by chief-david »

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #760 on: May 16, 2020, 05:56:50 PM »

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #761 on: May 16, 2020, 06:03:56 PM »
Now the latest thing I can't find is dishwasher detergent. :roll: Guess I'll hafta remember how to do it the ole' fashion way.

PS: Bugs was the best... 8-)

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #762 on: May 16, 2020, 07:09:30 PM »
Dentist offices have reopened for non-emergency appointments here. I got a e-mail from my dentist wanting to reschedule the 6 month checkup that was cancelled a few weeks ago. I know my dentist is professional and will do all the correct recommendations to protect staff and patients. That said, I am not particularly comfortable about having someone standing over me working in my mouth at this time, so I think I will pass for the time being.
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #764 on: May 17, 2020, 06:05:05 PM »
Now the latest thing I can't find is dishwasher detergent. :roll: Guess I'll hafta remember how to do it the ole' fashion way.

My store had some dishwasher detergent but was out of a few brands. My wife buys it (and TP and paper towels) at Costco. They limit quantities but one of their packages is huge and lasts us for months so it isn't a big deal.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #765 on: May 17, 2020, 06:11:41 PM »

My store had some dishwasher detergent but was out of a few brands. My wife buys it (and TP and paper towels) at Costco. They limit quantities but one of their packages is huge and lasts us for months so it isn't a big deal.
Woohoo! Found detergent AND TP today!  \:D/

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #766 on: May 17, 2020, 06:34:43 PM »

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #767 on: May 17, 2020, 06:35:18 PM »

Les Nesman started social distancing.

Having a hard time pasting tweets.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 06:39:13 PM by chief-david »

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #768 on: May 17, 2020, 07:06:33 PM »
Stillwater was a bustling this weekend.  It was the first weekend since the shutdown both restaurants and bars were open.  Shutdown relief was needed. I went to one of my favorite restaurants for dinner, Palomino's a Mexican.  It wasn't much of a surprise that it would be a different experience, due to heightened sanitation precautions.  In the main dining area, chairs were turned upside down on some tables for distancing.  Elsewhere, booths were partitioned off by white plastic panels.  The menu was printed in black and white on both sides of a sheet of paper.  It was far from the colorful plastic embossed menus.  Instead of salt and paper shakers, it was paper packets.  Eating utensils were plastic.  Wait staff were all masked except for the guy who brought out my selection, the Chicken Skillet from the kitchen.    Food was good.  My other favorite restaurant, Red Lobster, still isn't open.  I miss their Salmon New Orleans and biscuits.

Fortunately, positive cases in Stillwater remain at 22 after around 3 weeks.  All have recovered.  Hopefully, no spikes on the way to phase 3 of the reopening to start June 1.  Stillwater looks to have the least lively summer ever.   OSU summer classes will be online, meaning around 6000 students won't be in town.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #769 on: May 17, 2020, 07:08:38 PM »

Offline the beteljuice

• the beteljuice
  • Forecaster
    • test site
« Reply #770 on: May 17, 2020, 09:27:36 PM »
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ] It doesn't work ...
Imagine what you will KNOW tomorrow !

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #771 on: May 20, 2020, 12:26:17 PM »

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #772 on: May 20, 2020, 02:49:57 PM »
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline AWL

• Forecaster
    • Ardmore Weather Live
« Reply #773 on: May 21, 2020, 12:16:31 PM »
Part two of Covid-19 has began....wife went to the local store that has a meat market. Three ~2 pound packs of hamburger meat. A little over 6lbs. And the grand total was $60 and some change  :shock:

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #774 on: May 21, 2020, 12:41:41 PM »
That stinks. The great thing about living in cattle country, I just got back from the Valentine meat locker they do all there own butchering and packaging all USDA inspected and prices haven't budged.

Randy