Author Topic: Temperature only  (Read 749 times)

Offline Tropical monsoon

Temperature only
« on: June 02, 2021, 09:37:03 PM »
Can anyone help me im not tech savy at all and browsing this forum it seems most people are very tech savy.  I would like a weather station that simply records outside temperature accurately and can record the min and max temp for the day.  I realise there are many chinese junk units out there on ebay and amazon etc that will do this but are not accurate and do not last. 

The reason I have asked here is I was hoping there is a higher quality unit that will do this accurately and last a long time.

I dont need wind speed, rainfall etc ( i record rain manually in a gauge and check it and write it down every morning the old fashioned way)

Can anyone recommend a good brand or model that will do this without having to pay for 100 things I dont need?

thanks

Offline doubleohwhatever

• Senior Contributor
Re: Temperature only
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 04:03:19 AM »
Onset offers a unit that might be what you're looking for:
https://www.onsetcomp.com/products/data-loggers/mx2302a

I'm curious what temperature logger you found on eBay and Amazon that you consider Chinese junk? If it was dirt cheap then yeah, it's probably junk. However, that's due to the price point and not where it's made. Chinese companies and manufacturers are capable of producing excellent devices. However, as with quality products made anywhere else, the price point will be higher.

Basically:
Chinese != Junk
Cheaply made = Junk

Offline zoomx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 10:06:53 AM »
Measuring  outside temperature accurately require a radiation shield, that is the main component.
Cheap sensor in radiation shield measure better than accurate sensor without shield.

Offline Tropical monsoon

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 08:49:50 PM »
Onset offers a unit that might be what you're looking for:
https://www.onsetcomp.com/products/data-loggers/mx2302a

I'm curious what temperature logger you found on eBay and Amazon that you consider Chinese junk? If it was dirt cheap then yeah, it's probably junk. However, that's due to the price point and not where it's made. Chinese companies and manufacturers are capable of producing excellent devices. However, as with quality products made anywhere else, the price point will be higher.

Basically:
Chinese != Junk
Cheaply made = Junk

Thanks for this that is exactly what im looking for, they didnt give a price so I emailed them to get a quote.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 09:03:46 PM by Tropical monsoon »

Offline zoomx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 03:06:52 AM »
Zoomx i plan to mount the temperature sensor on my patio which is covered by my roof so i shouldnt need this radiation shield correct?

It depends from winds and from the amount of infrared radiation coming from your house and near buildings.

Without wind for sure it will get infrared radiation from your house.
I live in a city among buildings and some sensor, during the day, get radiation from building at about 30-40m. No building around it's better. The WMO rules requires no building at all around, don't remember the distance.

So it depends from the accuracy you want. Some time ago I found a document from the meteorological service of Canada with stations classification based on site environment (buildings distance and other factors) but I don't remembre it's title.

Offline Tropical monsoon

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2021, 09:53:26 PM »
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 09:04:15 PM by Tropical monsoon »

Offline doubleohwhatever

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2021, 12:10:55 AM »
Ultimately it's up to you where you install your sensor. However, if you care about accuracy, I'd listen to the advice given by Zoomx up above.

Offline Tropical monsoon

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2021, 01:00:22 AM »
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 09:04:27 PM by Tropical monsoon »

anything