Author Topic: WS View bug firmware 1.5.2 with Eurochron EFWS2900  (Read 2917 times)

Offline cocobelluss

• Station météo Callas (France)
WS View bug firmware 1.5.2 with Eurochron EFWS2900
« on: August 01, 2020, 11:48:43 AM »
Hello,

Since the firmware update to 1.5.2, the wifi of the weather station (Eurochron EFWS2900) no longer works correctly! Indeed, a data transfer interruption bug for this product every day at 2:50 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. with the wifi indicator flashing permanently on the console. I must unplug and reconnect the station console electrically so that the data transfer can work again before a new cut at 2:50 p.m. and 6 a.m. I reset the console but it doesn't change anything, then the router is fine.

Anyone have an idea to help me revert to the previous 1.5.0 firmware that worked fine ?

French : Sorry translated by google translate

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: WS View bug firmware 1.5.2 with Eurochron EFWS2900
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 02:36:25 PM »
You can't go backwards on firmware versions. If there is a problem with the firmware then you need to wait for the next version of the firmware. Before you report the possible firmware bug I recommend to look at some other things first.

Log into your router and take a look at the DHCP server settings. What is the DHCP lease time? Usually this lease time is a large number because it is expressed in seconds. See if your disconnect problem coincides with your lease time expiration?

If it does coincide with the lease expiration you could then change the lease time on the router to be for a much longer time span. But this will not totally resolve the problem, because you'll probably still be disconnected, just not as frequently. But this temporary fix might make it better to deal with if in fact this is a new firmware bug.

I would also recommend that you update the firmware on your WiFi router.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline droiddk

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 03:48:59 PM »
Hello,

Since the firmware update to 1.5.2, the wifi of the weather station (Eurochron EFWS2900) no longer works correctly! Indeed, a data transfer interruption bug for this product every day at 2:50 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. with the wifi indicator flashing permanently on the console. I must unplug and reconnect the station console electrically so that the data transfer can work again before a new cut at 2:50 p.m. and 6 a.m. I reset the console but it doesn't change anything, then the router is fine.

Anyone have an idea to help me revert to the previous 1.5.0 firmware that worked fine ?

Hi

Not sure I understand, will the console return to Wi-Fi after a while or will it stay disconnected?

Regards

Offline Vetti52

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 03:52:34 PM »
My EFWS2900 was bricked completely after update to 1.5.2. Fortunately I got a replacement of the console. The new one updated to 1.5.2 without any problems. I suspect, that I had some old batteries loaded, which forced kind of a reset during update. This assumption is, because when I added the same batteries to the new console, it started to reboot after some minutes. As soon as I removed the batteries, everything worked fine again. As long as you can perform a hardware reset (remove the batteries, unplug power for at least a minute, then immediately after powering starts and all segments appear on screen, press WIND and PRESSURE at the same time for about 5 seconds), you could try to at least get a clean installation of firmware 1.5.2. For me, I have learned to remove the batteries, whenever I do an update again. But, may be, this is just electronic voodoo.

Offline cocobelluss

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 05:47:23 AM »
Hello,

Hi

Not sure I understand, will the console return to Wi-Fi after a while or will it stay disconnected?

Regards

No it remains disconnected until I restart it electrically.

Offline cocobelluss

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 05:48:34 AM »
My EFWS2900 was bricked completely after update to 1.5.2. Fortunately I got a replacement of the console. The new one updated to 1.5.2 without any problems. I suspect, that I had some old batteries loaded, which forced kind of a reset during update. This assumption is, because when I added the same batteries to the new console, it started to reboot after some minutes. As soon as I removed the batteries, everything worked fine again. As long as you can perform a hardware reset (remove the batteries, unplug power for at least a minute, then immediately after powering starts and all segments appear on screen, press WIND and PRESSURE at the same time for about 5 seconds), you could try to at least get a clean installation of firmware 1.5.2. For me, I have learned to remove the batteries, whenever I do an update again. But, may be, this is just electronic voodoo.

I have tried a factory reset with this method before but it doesn't change anything.

Offline cocobelluss

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 05:53:35 AM »
Attached are pictures of the console if it helps to solve my problem.

Offline droiddk

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 06:05:13 AM »
No it remains disconnected until I restart it electrically.

Ok. I have updated my test-console to 1.5.2 and will see what happens.

Regards

Offline Vetti52

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2020, 06:06:56 AM »
So, after factory reset, you could at least configure the Wifi connection with WsView again? And actually there are no batteries inside? What, if you put some pretty new batteries in?

Offline cocobelluss

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2020, 06:30:04 AM »
So, after factory reset, you could at least configure the Wifi connection with WsView again? And actually there are no batteries inside? What, if you put some pretty new batteries in?

yes I can configure the wifi again from ws view. I just changed the batteries with new ones to see but I don't think that will change anything since the wifi of the console only works electrically from an AC outlet so I think the batteries have no influence on the functioning of the wifi.

Offline Vetti52

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2020, 09:18:58 AM »
That's what i think is kind of voodoo.
Without batteries, my console runs with no problems. Adding old batteries, even running with power plugged in, rebooting occurred. So, I assume, since 1.5.2 the batteries are checked at times. But the check itself is bogus, if the batteries are bad. I don't know, what the algorithm does, when no batteries are there.

Offline droiddk

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2020, 01:24:26 PM »
No disconnects with 1.5.2 in my setup.

Regards

Offline cocobelluss

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2020, 11:38:03 AM »
Hello,
The developer of the ws-view application made me downgrade to firmware 1.4.2. Since then, no more problem, so there is a bug with version 1.5.2 on the console's wifi management.

Version 1.4.2: wifi-n
version 1.5.2: uses an old generation of wifi which is wifi-g

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2020, 12:32:16 PM »
Hello,
The developer of the ws-view application made me downgrade to firmware 1.4.2. Since then, no more problem, so there is a bug with version 1.5.2 on the console's wifi management.

hu? Downgrade? How did you downgrade? What is the procedure?

UPDATE: Downgrade requires use of special tool that only Ecowitt has and "may" make available upon request but most likely not. It is in internal tool used for firmware testing and bug testing for those individual whom Ecowitt engineers are actively working to address a newly found issue.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 01:12:54 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Hamo1234

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2020, 08:51:31 PM »
Hello,

I have the Australian version of this weather station (OzWeather 2900) and since installing the latest firmware 1.5.2 via ws-view, the wifi connection is broken. I now get intermittent connections over a 24 hour cycle - however there does not appear to be any consistency in the pattern of connections.

I would really appreciate it if you could share either a) where/who you made contact with to gain support to resolve this issue, or b) the process you used to address it.

Thanks in advance.

Offline cocobelluss

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2020, 04:21:13 AM »
Hello,

I have the Australian version of this weather station (OzWeather 2900) and since installing the latest firmware 1.5.2 via ws-view, the wifi connection is broken. I now get intermittent connections over a 24 hour cycle - however there does not appear to be any consistency in the pattern of connections.

I would really appreciate it if you could share either a) where/who you made contact with to gain support to resolve this issue, or b) the process you used to address it.

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

You reassure me because I felt like I was the only one with the problem. I advise you first to send an email directly to Henry to expose this problem because the WS-view support is not responding. If necessary, I will give you the APK application (android only) to downgrade the firmware but first contact Henry to put the pressure so that he corrects the bug since I am the only one to have reported this anomaly to this day.

Henry's Mail in MP.

Looking forward to your return.

Offline Hamo1234

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2020, 09:06:18 PM »
Hello,

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

You reassure me because I felt like I was the only one with the problem. I advise you first to send an email directly to Henry to expose this problem because the WS-view support is not responding. If necessary, I will give you the APK application (android only) to downgrade the firmware but first contact Henry to put the pressure so that he corrects the bug since I am the only one to have reported this anomaly to this day.

Henry's Mail in MP.

Looking forward to your return.

Thank you - I really appreciate this. I will send an email now and let you know the response.

Offline Vetti52

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2020, 12:40:42 PM »
Curiously, my EFWS2900 was bricked totally after update to 1.5.2. However, I got a replacement from Conrad's Online shop for free. That's good! The new console could be installed without problems and updated immediately after installation to version 1.5.2 without any problems.
As far as I can decipher, the wifi is n/ 20 MHz, WPA2, 1 x 1 (72 MBit/s).
I am wondering, if different kind of update take place, when starting with factory set firmware, or proceeding from 1.4.2?

Offline cocobelluss

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2020, 08:51:27 AM »
Hello,

I received a test version of the firmware (1.5.3.1). The wifi switches to wifi-b instead of wifi-g.

I will keep you posted if the bug is fixed or not.

Offline cocobelluss

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2020, 05:44:44 AM »
Well this version does not work correctly either so back to version 1.4.2

Offline Hamo1234

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2020, 09:04:04 PM »
Hello

The developer has been extremely helpful. He provided me with an app that enabled me to upgrade to 1.5.3.1 or downgrade to a previous firmware. The app is Android and unfortunately, I dont have an Android device. I downloaded a few Android emulators onto my W10 machine. Bluestacks was the only one that seemed to recognise the app. Through this, the app could see the weather station, however when I tried to update the firmware, it appeared to just sit there and do nothing (the weather station is still running 1.5.2).

I also played around with some router settings:
1) Setting up a static lease
2) Narrowing the band to 20hz
3) Extending the DHCP lease.

Option 1 and 2 lost all connectivity to the weatherstation (at that point in time - it may have re-connected at a later stage had I left it). Option 3 appears to have improved the length of time the weather station remains connected i.e. since all this stuffing around, Im experiencing better connectivity and the DHCP lease time is the only thing that remains changed.

It is still dropping out however and remaining disconnected for significant chunks of the day.

Next step is to either locate a native android device or wait until a new firmware is released to the public.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2020, 09:37:31 PM »
I successfully run the following Android emulator and I can run WS View and it allows me to flash firmware. The key thing though is to follow my instructions to enable the Network bridge. This is important to put the emulator on the same LAN as your local network, without this the WS View app will not communicate with the console.

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36792.0
Tele-Pole

Offline Hamo1234

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2020, 09:42:15 PM »
Thanks - Ill give it a shot. I did install Noxplayer, but the app wouldnt install correctly. Ill have another crack as per your instructions and report back.

Offline Hamo1234

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2020, 10:01:18 PM »
Thanks - Ill give it a shot. I did install Noxplayer, but the app wouldnt install correctly. Ill have another crack as per your instructions and report back.

I installed NOXplayer and have enabled the bridge etc - however, I am unable to successfully install the app sent to me by the developer (firmware upgrade tool.apk). This installed no problems on Bluestacks however.

Any thoughts?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2020, 10:59:22 PM »
The problem with Bluestacks is that it does not support network bridge. At least it did not support network bridge a few months ago since last I looked at Bluestacks.

I just installed the firmware upgrade tool.apk and it installed just fine on Nox. Then it ran. I did take a few seconds to seek out and automatically discover all my consoles (I have 3 of them). Then you can select one and choose the firmware version to install. I did however not go as far as to actually downgrade because ....well I'm having no problems and I don't want to downgrade unnecessarily. I don't want to brick any of my consoles by downgrading. It looks to me like it should work though once you push that UPGRADE button. There is also the Add Device button on the main Device List view....but I don't think that does anything.

TIP: I do remember that there were some previous firmware versions where upgrading while WS View was running on a different device or while some other software was pulling data that upgrading firmware would not work. It required stopping the software so that it didn't poll the API to get live data....this was for the GW1000. This does maybe only apply to the GW1000...but if you have an iPhone that is running WS View at the same time...well I would shut that app down while you attempt to run this firmware tool.
Tele-Pole

anything