Author Topic: Looking for an accurate budget solution for home gardener  (Read 1029 times)

Offline sheckylovejoy

Looking for an accurate budget solution for home gardener
« on: June 22, 2015, 05:25:02 PM »
Thanks for looking at this. I'm a minor weather geek, mostly owing to my interest in gardening and trying to get the right amount of water to each plant. But this will be my first weather station.

The situation: I live in a place with highly localized temperature and rainfall fluctuations mostly owing to elevation. All the local stations are a mile or more away and are inaccurate, often by a lot. I’m in the San Fernando Valley in So Cal, right at the base of the Santa Monica Mountains, for those of you familiar with the area

Looking around the forum, it seems like the Davis stations are well-liked, but they’re beyond my budget, which is under $300 and preferably under $200. My main question is whether the cheaper options like the Ambient 1400 or 1001 will be accurate enough in temperature and rainfall to make a difference for me.

Requirements:
Highly accurate temp and rainfall measurements
Less accuracy needed for pressure, RH and wind speed
Must work well in full sun (I have no suitable spots in the shade), or can be easily and inexpensively modded to work in full sun
Solar or battery powered
Link to wunderground without a PC on all the time. This will feed the data to my Hydrawise irrigation controller
No Windows here, only Macs, so anything with necessary functions that require a PC is out (though I have Windows 7 on a virtual machine). We also have a variety of iOS devices

I also have questions about placement, but I can save that for another time. Thanks again for looking at this.