Author Topic: WS-2308 Heavy Weather not working changed to Cumulus, also not working on new pc  (Read 49112 times)

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: WS-2308 Heavy Weather not working
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2009, 07:06:06 PM »
Greg, do you think the humidity sensor on your 968 is something you can get into and repair yourself or is there still warranty/hope for repairing it? I have spent over a year (so far) experimenting with the 23xx humidity sensor improving it's accuracy and have some hints if you want to go that route.

Dan

Offline highriseweather

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2009, 12:12:32 AM »
I have changed to Cumulus, much easier to use and it actually works. The only issue I have is there seems to be no control over spacing of the data on the website, or adding or deleting items you want or do not want shown. Another issue is the graphs and pictures for moon and other things are not being downloaded, not sure why, any ideas?

Thanks for the recomendations, do I have leave the program running all the time for it to upload the data?

How to create a banner with this software to post in forums emails and what not?

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
    • WUHU Software Yahoo Group
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2009, 12:29:32 AM »

There is a bug in publisher where the file must already exist on the server. Upload any file will the same name, after the first upload, it will be fine.

As far as the pressure goes, there is a rounding error in the software.

Offline highriseweather

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2009, 12:58:31 AM »
Which software are you refering to? Wuho or Cumulus or Heavy Weather?  I deleted heavy weather from my computer entirely. I am now using Cumulus, so with that software just upload any file with the same name as one of the pictures and all will be ok?

Offline highriseweather

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2009, 01:59:19 AM »
Also noticing the cumulus software does not have a history record like heavy weather, or am i looking in the wrong place?

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2009, 07:10:31 AM »
Greg, do you think the humidity sensor on your 968 is something you can get into and repair yourself or is there still warranty/hope for repairing it? I have spent over a year (so far) experimenting with the 23xx humidity sensor improving it's accuracy and have some hints if you want to go that route.

Dan

Dan,

Well, I took it into work once.  There are some highly skilled Instrument Maintenance folks there and they just kind of scratched their heads.  They suggested cleaning it with alcohol.  I did that to one and it died completely (it was just reading 45% low).  I have another one (that I got from ebay because OS didn't have any to send as a replacement) and it reads around 15% all the time.  So I don't know if it can be worked on or not.  I'm not very electrically inclined.  I'm using the thnx122 (I don't remember if that's the right number for it).  It works like a champ.

Greg
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2009, 07:16:12 AM »
If you get another chance to peek inside, see if it has one of these (or similar)

if it does, there;s hope. Easy fix too.

Dan

Offline highriseweather

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2009, 09:08:52 AM »
Is there anyway to display the units in C and F and mm and in, etc?  Or you have to pick only one?  Or is there a way for people to choose whatever they want from the website?  Maybe the other software has that function?

And what's up with the forecast?  Exceptional weather, stormy, much precipatation?  How can it be all three at once?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 09:15:02 AM by highriseweather »

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2009, 09:13:46 AM »
Which software are you refering to? Wuho or Cumulus or Heavy Weather?  I deleted heavy weather from my computer entirely. I am now using Cumulus, so with that software just upload any file with the same name as one of the pictures and all will be ok?

I was referring only to Heavyweather Publisher, Cumulus should be able to upload just fine.

Offline highriseweather

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2009, 02:36:16 AM »
Ok guys, very odd, I closed Cumulus, rebooted and tried to reopen the software, now it is telling me something else is using that com port... I have not installed anything else, all I did was reboot. Any ideas?

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2009, 03:38:38 AM »
I had a feeling, from what you mentioned earlier that when Heavyweather did the same thing, that it wasn't Heavyweather. You said it came back "grayed out" meaning it alsodropped connectivity with the comms. You can check "device manager", "Com ports" again and right click on the com port and select disable. Go back to the same "device manager", com port, again . right click and select enable and see if any conflict messages pop up telling you what's trying to use that port. Also by right clicking on the bottom toolbar you can pull up "Task Manager". In here the tabs "Applications" and "Processes" show you what's up and running currently. May be helpful finding why your computer want's that com port for something.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2009, 10:07:33 AM »
Try rebooting w/out the weather station connected, and then connect it. If the unit streams data continuously, it can be sometimes be detected during boot by Windows as a mouse, which will lock out that com port. If it is detected as a mouse, it can mess with the cursor, too...

Offline highriseweather

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2009, 10:10:10 AM »
I'm at a loss guys.  I went to the device manager, no messages popped up other than you need to reboot your computer, yadda yadda ya... 

I have tried unplugging the serial cable from the base unit on bootup like Cumlus suggested, and to no avail. 

I have checked through the task manager, I see nothing that would be using a serial connection.  Could it my mouse that is causing the problem?

Offline highriseweather

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2009, 11:47:26 AM »
Try rebooting w/out the weather station connected, and then connect it. If the unit streams data continuously, it can be sometimes be detected during boot by Windows as a mouse, which will lock out that com port. If it is detected as a mouse, it can mess with the cursor, too...

Must have missed your post before I posted.  Already tried that, didnt work..  very strange, after I disconnected the UPS and removed all the config sys stuff from loading up, which I have checked agian, no problem, it worked fine, but the second time I reboot then issue happen.. What's going on?

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2009, 12:06:24 PM »

The UPS service might have somehow restarted... It will snag the port at boot. Verify that the UPS is disabled.

Offline highriseweather

« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2009, 01:01:52 PM »
Have gone through the system configuration utility and it seems everything is fine, the UPS is still unchecked and not booting up...  really odd.

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2009, 02:12:11 PM »
Have gone through the system configuration utility and it seems everything is fine, the UPS is still unchecked and not booting up...  really odd.

Do you have other software like say a PDA support program that is loading up on boot?

I remember once I had a Palm that would grab the port even though I did not tell it to.

Offline highriseweather

« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2009, 09:43:17 PM »
Have pcsuite for my Nokia phone, but all of that is through USB.  And even if that were the case, how the heck can I manage to use all these programs if they keep interferring with the weather station?

I have a pda, but the software is not installed on this pc, have not used it for 3 years.

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2009, 06:00:06 AM »
Have pcsuite for my Nokia phone, but all of that is through USB.  And even if that were the case, how the heck can I manage to use all these programs if they keep interferring with the weather station?

I have a pda, but the software is not installed on this pc, have not used it for 3 years.

The guy who wrote all of the utilities for sysinternals (now hired at Microsoft) wrote a program that you get download that can show you which application (if any) has taken control of the port.

I have run in to situations where the registry is corrupt, the port appears to be in use but it is not. In my case, I used to restore point to recover the port. You may be able to change the COM number in hardware manager or re-install the drivers to recover it, I am not sure.

It really is pathetic that there is no way to easily find out which resource (like serial ports) have been claimed by applications under Windows.

Offline highriseweather

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2009, 06:17:17 AM »
Do you happen to know where I could get a copy of this neat little program?

I am not sure what else to do, I even tried uninstalling Cumulus and reinstalling it.  No use.

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2009, 12:09:35 PM »
Do you happen to know where I could get a copy of this neat little program?

I am not sure what else to do, I even tried uninstalling Cumulus and reinstalling it.  No use.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb545027.aspx

I believe you want Process Monitor.

In the serial box within the program, enter 'serial'.

Offline highriseweather

« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2009, 12:54:16 PM »
Ok thank you so much! So I am assuming I have to wait until it finishes loading everything?  It's sitting at about 1 million right now and only like 65% complete.  When it is finished I can search for "serial" right?

And anything specific I should be looking for in that list when it's finished?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 01:06:37 PM by highriseweather »

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2009, 03:17:46 PM »
Ok thank you so much! So I am assuming I have to wait until it finishes loading everything?  It's sitting at about 1 million right now and only like 65% complete.  When it is finished I can search for "serial" right?

And anything specific I should be looking for in that list when it's finished?

If you download then install, there should be a search box or search option.

Offline highriseweather

« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2009, 10:03:29 PM »
Sure there is, but what would I be looking for specifically after I type in serial, what should come up?  I did it already but all that came up was like Explorer and the processes kept running and adding more stuff to the box, have no idea what I should be looking for...

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2009, 07:31:17 AM »
Sure there is, but what would I be looking for specifically after I type in serial, what should come up?  I did it already but all that came up was like Explorer and the processes kept running and adding more stuff to the box, have no idea what I should be looking for...

You are trying to find the process that has your port open.

try searching for serial0, serial1, ect, those are internal identifiers that Windows uses to enumerate it's serial ports.

As an example, use Hyperterminal to open a port, then search for serial0, serial1, etc, to see if you find hypertermial in the list.