Author Topic: New CoCoRaHS feature: Data Explorer  (Read 1602 times)

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
New CoCoRaHS feature: Data Explorer
« on: October 02, 2023, 08:39:27 AM »
There is a new feature on the data page called Data Explorer.

https://dex.cocorahs.org/

There are some interesting graphical depictions. I was able to catch several missing data days using the feature that shows the observations.

I keep a paper log and was able to correct the online version.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
Re: New CoCoRaHS feature: Data Explorer
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2023, 10:33:11 AM »
Thank you.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2023, 01:57:03 PM »
Thanks Greg,
Very nice, and the year-over-year accumulated precipitation graphs clearly shows the heavy rains in early May and then 5-6 weeks of drought and then record rain in July.
I also was able to see one day in January I had missed reporting and now have corrected that from my manual records as well. 

I did find this humorous...
Station Information
Station Number    CAN-ON-784
Station Name       Komoka 3.1 W
Creation Date      Jul 29, 2020
Country       USA
State          Canada
County       Ontario
Longitude  -81.4380555
Latitude     42.96
Elevation    817 ft.

For Canadian CoCoRaHS contributors we do our daily reporting direct to CoCoRaHS USA, but there is a Canada contact who provide normal information as well as a supplies ordering depot, and in the Map and My Account settings it still shows Country as Canada but hadn't been informed that annexation was imminent :o

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2023, 02:11:43 PM »
I looked how many reports I have done since 2006.  Wow
IA-PK-3

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2023, 11:18:24 AM »
YouTube Webinar on Data Explorer: https://youtu.be/QCxgBroTJ5I

Greg H.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2023, 06:46:33 AM »
Yikes. 5459 reports. 

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2023, 09:16:30 PM »
 ](*,) Anybody else notice this, for example, and figure it out? Year-over-year ....
 #-o 

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2023, 08:33:03 AM »
](*,) Anybody else notice this, for example, and figure it out? Year-over-year ....
 #-o 

As far as multi-day goes, I swear that I saw something that multi-day wasn't included in the Data Explorer. I tried to find it again and failed. Maybe it was in the YouTube training video.

Greg H.

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
!.
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2023, 10:40:16 AM »

As far as multi-day goes, I swear that I saw something that multi-day wasn't included in the Data Explorer. I tried to find it again and failed. Maybe it was in the YouTube training video.

Greg H.

You may be right,  :?: but I don't recall this specifically, or just missed it...  and I sorta looked around before I contacted Noah with the glitch... couldn't find a ref either, but doesn't mean it ISN'T there. Noah didn't indicate to me that it had been noted.  Noah and Steve mentioned multiday 'things' several times in the webinar...
Ain't this fun nit-pikin' ??? :-$
 They mentioned several times, I seem to recall, that a multi-day rpt and daily obsv rpt overlapping caused issues, which is why they'd like us to help find them, and request a correction using the form... the developer team has to go make each of those 'overlap' corrections. ... I had two overlaps, took some time for them to correct my stupidity... missing dailies are easy, just go 'enter'' em (if you have the records), they'll roll into DEX - just make sure it DOESN'T fall within a multi-day. However we can't just 'delete' an overlapped daily... it WILL go away in the obsv lists, but doesn't fix the overlap error/confusion, due to the nature of multiday data --currently anyway...and DON'T try to delete a multiday! Don't Go There...if it needs fixing, report it ...let them fix it when they get one of them round tuits.

HOWEVER... both leap day and multiday 'line blanks' DON'T occur in the "Precip Summary" charts. Noah's gonna add the glitch to the 'info/help' information for 'year over year', he says. 
Quote(s) from Noah: (ref com with me)
Behind the scenes, that year-over-year tab is the most complex of them all, and both types of gaps are not easy to solve.  In theory the multiday obs could just be straight-lined into the charts, but everything breaks down the moment someone requests a date range with a start or end date that falls in-between a multiday report.  The leap year issue, I’m just guessing, is another tricky coding problem that would have been solved if it were easy.  Again, just a guess, but I bet every time he was able to solve that leap-year gap, something else broke somewhere else, so leaving the leap-year gap and still having everything else working is better than the alternative.
...~~~~...
You’re right that we’ve got the gap solved in the summary charts, but it must be easier when you aren’t overlaying multiple years.
...~~~~...
The last three weeks before launching it was a struggle as to what was worth more…and there were a few other similar things that we just had to let go and live with for the time being.

That last line DOES NOT MEAN we should assume they KNOW about something we note...or suggest.... they want us to report it anyway... hence my response to your 'Trace' sort order post... [tup]
« Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 10:53:06 AM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2024, 11:48:13 AM »
Made some graphics, for links, etc,... if anyone wants...attached

anything