Author Topic: Hope everyone is ok...Wash your hands.  (Read 57870 times)

Offline BKS97

• Senior Contributor
    • Sartell East Weather
Re: Hope everyone is ok...Wash your hands.
« Reply #1050 on: November 23, 2020, 09:14:55 PM »
During the Second World War, everyone at home in the U.S. was asked by the government to observe rules for rationing food and other products and materials to help with the war effort. Rationing helped assure that those on the front lines had everything they needed to fight the war.  The vast majority of Americans accepted rationing and abided by the rules. Today we refer to them as the “Greatest Generation.”  They made sacrifices for the good of the country.

With the controversy over mask mandates continuing even now with the worsening pandemic, I wonder how historians will refer to us, members of the current generation of Americans.

Offline FW8379

« Reply #1051 on: November 23, 2020, 09:32:18 PM »
During the Second World War, everyone at home in the U.S. was asked by the government to observe rules for rationing food and other products and materials to help with the war effort. Rationing helped assure that those on the front lines had everything they needed to fight the war.  The vast majority of Americans accepted rationing and abided by the rules. Today we refer to them as the “Greatest Generation.”  They made sacrifices for the good of the country.

With the controversy over mask mandates continuing even now with the worsening pandemic, I wonder how historians will refer to us, members of the current generation of Americans.

Just had this same conversation at the dinner table!

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #1052 on: November 23, 2020, 09:44:26 PM »
During the Second World War, everyone at home in the U.S. was asked by the government to observe rules for rationing food and other products and materials to help with the war effort. Rationing helped assure that those on the front lines had everything they needed to fight the war.  The vast majority of Americans accepted rationing and abided by the rules.
Except back in WWII, you were issued "stamps" so as to keep everyone in compliance, like it or not.

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #1053 on: November 24, 2020, 12:23:42 PM »
Today's Gilder's Prophecy, Nov 24, 2020, contains invaluable information about PCR and its pitfalls.  (PCR is the technology that underpins all COVID-19 antigen tests.)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 09:27:00 AM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline catdon

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #1054 on: November 24, 2020, 08:03:11 PM »
Anyone who has been following the economic stimulus negotiations the last few months, has to be pissed off about the politicians playing games while people suffer...im sure people would be much more supportive of restrictions etc. if we knew the govt had our backs, but they really don't seem to give a shit.
Don
Staten Island, NY

Offline tweatherman

• Forecaster
« Reply #1055 on: November 24, 2020, 09:16:17 PM »
Today's Gilder's Prophecy, Nov 24, 2020, contains invaluable information about PCR and its pitfalls.  (PCR is the technology that underpins all COVID-19 tests.)

Exactly...I know of a person who had 4 test for covid19 test same nurse and hospital. Results: 2 positive and 2 negative; figure that one out.

tweatherman

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #1056 on: November 25, 2020, 10:09:32 PM »
Today's Gilder's Prophecy, Nov 24, 2020, contains invaluable information about PCR and its pitfalls.  (PCR is the technology that underpins all COVID-19 tests.)

Exactly...I know of a person who had 4 test for covid19 test same nurse and hospital. Results: 2 positive and 2 negative; figure that one out.

tweatherman

That's easy. Guy has 4 tests.
Test 1: Negative
Test 2: Negative
"Guy goes out and gets Covid"
Test 3: Positive
Test 4: Positive

:roll: #-o
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus 6163 (Wireless) | Davis WeatherLink Live 6100 | Meteobridge Pro
WeatherLink | WundergroundCWOPAWEKASWindy

Offline tweatherman

• Forecaster
« Reply #1057 on: November 25, 2020, 10:37:31 PM »
Not possible with it being the same day within hours of all 4 test. People just don’t get all the media junk going on out there.

tweatherman

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #1058 on: November 25, 2020, 10:52:19 PM »
People just don’t get all the media junk going on out there.
Gobble gobble....  ](*,)

Offline sky_watcher

• Contributor
« Reply #1059 on: November 27, 2020, 10:30:40 PM »
Not possible with it being the same day within hours of all 4 test. People just don’t get all the media junk going on out there.

tweatherman
Assuming that the nurse wasn't working more than 12 hour shifts, that is a test every THREE HOURS. The results of the first test would not be back before the subsequent extra three tests were taken. Your friend is pulling your leg.
“The more a man knows, the more willing he is to learn. The less a man knows, the more positive he is that he knows everything...” ― Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline tweatherman

• Forecaster
« Reply #1060 on: November 27, 2020, 10:46:33 PM »
It wasn’t a friend it was Elon Musk who exposed the highly overrated covid19.

tweatherman

Offline tweatherman

• Forecaster
« Reply #1061 on: November 27, 2020, 10:48:31 PM »
Over 99 percent recovery rate from this bad flu.

tweatherman

Offline sky_watcher

• Contributor
« Reply #1062 on: November 27, 2020, 11:25:53 PM »
It wasn’t a friend it was Elon Musk who exposed the highly overrated covid19.

tweatherman
He would be an interesting person to know, where did you meet him?

Edit: Elon Musk was, by the way, speaking about a particular type of test called a "rapid antigen test". One of it characteristics is that they are are only accurate during a certain window of time.Either side of peak viral load, the likelihood of a false negative increases.

This is is not characteristic of the more accurate (but with longer testing times) PCR that is thread started with and why I could not understand why someone would have 4 tests in quick succession when the results would not be available.

Which test are you actually talking about?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 11:53:27 PM by sky_watcher »
“The more a man knows, the more willing he is to learn. The less a man knows, the more positive he is that he knows everything...” ― Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline tweatherman

• Forecaster
« Reply #1063 on: November 27, 2020, 11:46:27 PM »
The owner of Tesla my friend.

tweatherman

Offline sky_watcher

• Contributor
« Reply #1064 on: November 28, 2020, 07:25:16 AM »
The owner of Tesla my friend.

tweatherman
Ahh. So when you said "I know a man " and identified Elon Musk when I asked, you didn't actually know the man at all. It would be ironic if you got this story from any form of media since "People just don’t get all the media junk going on out there."   ;)

It's a pity that you didn't indicate whether you knew that you were talking about the PCR test and Mr Musk was talking about the significantly different Rapid Antigen Test, since the PCR doesn't underpin all COVID tests as was also erronously claimed in this thread. This would have made your comments clearer.

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #1065 on: November 28, 2020, 09:31:49 AM »

... since the PCR doesn't underpin all COVID tests as was also erronously claimed in this thread. This would have made your comments clearer.
Sorry for not clarifying that I was referring to COVID-19 antigen tests, not coronavirus antibody tests.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #1066 on: December 19, 2020, 10:48:12 PM »
For a local covid update, the situation has gotten so much more busy at Stillwater Medical Center that it's been decided that the carpet has to go in the west conference room to turn it into more space for covid patients.  As of Friday, the covid ward was maxed out with 30 patients with one new patient waiting in the ER for a bed to become available.  The hospital indicates that 40% of the patients are from out of town with over 50% from places where mask wear in public is not mandatory. 

So let's look at how having a required city mask wear while indoors in public ordinance works out.  It doesn't work to eliminate positive covid cases but does appear to work better than having nothing:

Stillwater, OK, pop. 50,299, public mask wear indoors required, total positive COVID-19 cases:   4007, Deaths:  12.

Yukon, OK, pop.  28,828, public mask wear indoors NOTrequired:  total positive COVID-19 cases:  5042, Deaths:  16.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 11:41:15 PM by Bunty »

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
« Reply #1068 on: December 29, 2020, 05:07:33 AM »
 it also takes more than just wearing masks strict lockdowns curb the virus spread , reduce the burden on medical staff and hospitals when they become overwhelmed the death rate climbs . here is what happened here, in November we saw a massive spike in new cases per day my own area become classed as High risk which is based on amount of people at any address that are tested positive within 1km !!

we had evaded any risk level since the pandemic outbreak upto November we were classed as Low Risk .

4 weekends of lockdowns and weekday night curfews has now finally put us back in the low risk area rating.That said I had 3 relatives within 1km one whole family with both husband and wife hospitalized in different hospitals due to not enough beds both have recovered .
many of the hospitals were extremely overwhelmed at one stage but here we are 4 weeks of restrictions and the results in new cases per day has halved also the hospital admissions have radically dropped . here is a chart that shows the curve when adhering to a strict lockdown to get the spread under control . Lockdowns are not pleasant but without them we would not have a future without all the awkwardness .lockdown effect generally takes 10 days to see any effectiveness its not a instant result.

Yes the vaccine is good news but now the chaos will begin on how that is rolled out.we are still under curfews restrictions until this is fully under control what we dont want is them lifted only to see all the recent perseverance goto waste..

take care all 

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 05:12:54 AM by weather34 »

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #1069 on: March 31, 2021, 07:58:59 PM »
Been too long since a reply to this topic so...  It been much better across the country since February when covid cases started going down.  It got to the point where my local hospital decided to cease publishing capacity numbers  three times a week in Facebook.  When it's stopped, its covid unit was only around half full.

This month Oklahoma's average covid daily cases number has fallen from several thousand a day to now several hundred a day.  Hopefully, they can keep down, though other states haven't been able to say the same.

I finally got off the fence and decided to get my first covid shot, by Pfizer,  Tues. morning at the Expo Center, Payne County Fairgrounds, Stillwater. No real wait, even though I was there 5 minutes early. In and out in little more than 20 minutes.  The only waiting was expected where they have you go into a large room after the vaccination to sit with a bunch of other people spaced 6 ft. apart to wait 15 minutes for possible bad side effects. Nobody had any while I was there.  It's been no worse than getting a flu shot, or the after effects, now with shot site sore.   My friend said it was the same with her.

After my 2nd Pfizer shot and when the local city mask ordinance expires on May 25, I look forward to quit wearing a mask in stores and getting back to the good old normal days. One of my favorite local restaurants, Mexico Joe's, put salt and pepper shakers back on the tables, so that is a good sign local restaurants are getting anxious to get back to normal.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 03:16:59 AM by Bunty »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #1070 on: March 31, 2021, 08:15:02 PM »
I look forward to quit wearing a mask in stores and getting back to the good old normal days.
I try not to be "Debbie Downer", but I am a realist, and this will simply never be, virus or not. 9/11 was the same way, except this all is a thousand times worse.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #1071 on: March 31, 2021, 08:25:10 PM »
Lord save us from the dooms-dayers?

I'm looking forward to NE the 4th of July with family members from infant to 95. I asked my cousin there about the nazimasks and he laughed and said 6 family members had a meeting the night before, not one of them with shots and not one of them wear masks. I said great, I'll be there, I'm not packing a mask for the trip! Here in mid TX, except for the lawyer/supid driven chains, most business's are returning to normal - it's about time.

This has to end and now, I just rolled over 78 and I darn sure don't want to be laying in my coffin at the "viewing" looking up at people I don't recognize in masks mourning over me - not that anyone ever will!

Offline sky_watcher

• Contributor
« Reply #1072 on: March 31, 2021, 08:53:04 PM »
I just rolled over 78 and I darn sure don't want to be laying in my coffin at the "viewing" looking up at people I don't recognize in masks mourning over me
If I can look up at people when I'm in my coffin, I'm getting back out of it.

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #1073 on: March 31, 2021, 10:46:52 PM »
Oh yeah. Can't wait for the good ol days when we were spreading snot and spitting all over each other. Have not seen one single person in normal contacts with cough, cold, or flu for over a year now.

Yeah, just cant wait to get back to the twice or thrice yearly snot fest.

If we don't learn something from this then we are doomed for the next one.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #1074 on: March 31, 2021, 11:40:28 PM »
If we don't learn something from this then we are doomed for the next one.
Boy you got that right. Keep hiding our heads in the sand and go through eternity locked up when exposure is the only way to fight mother nature. Only been doing it since the beginning of mankind.

anything