Author Topic: watermark soil moisture sensor  (Read 1795 times)

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
watermark soil moisture sensor
« on: March 25, 2010, 10:48:35 PM »
has anyone used the Watermark Soil Moisture Sensor with a Davis soil moisture station?

I am  going to need to replace a sensor I think is faulty and the sensor that Davis and Ambient sells is about 40 dollars.   I can get one from Forestry Suppliers or Gemplers for about 33 dollars.   They look the same with two exceptions.  the leads are 10 feet shorter than what Davis supplies and the wires have a different end ... a clamp type end that has a solder lug that can be either connected to my existing leads from the faulty sensor or clipped off.

What I am noticing is when it rains the sensor on only one of the 4 sensors moves toward the dry end and then drops back to normal   .  I contacted Davis and they thought the sensor might be faulty, but I think I agree with them. 

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
Re: watermark soil moisture sensor
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 08:04:00 AM »
I believe that they are the same, but to confirm it why don't you call the manufacturer, Irrometer http://www.irrometer.com/.  I spoke to one of their engineers a couple of years ago before I bought a WaterSwitch, and they were very helpful.

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
Re: watermark soil moisture sensor
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 09:10:26 PM »
I received an email back, the.  I have seen situations where the sensor has a very poor bond with the surrounding soil, and when the soil gets wet it actually expands enough to change contact with the sensor, causing unusual trends in the data.

y are identical and cheaper than davis.   The techie thought it would be best to replant it.

anything