Author Topic: Atlas display frozen  (Read 22911 times)

Offline krlex

Re: Atlas display frozen
« Reply #100 on: April 10, 2020, 10:29:26 PM »
I would like to continue monitoring this thread. I also have had 3 displays replaced under warranty. The last one just 3 days ago. I also have it plugged with the original power brick into a high-end 5500 joules power filter. My first screen was running firmware v40n, the second v40o, but the new one, I didn't see when it started.
I have 2 dead touchscrrens that Acurite (or Chaney) didn't want. Though it will be almost impossible to figure out what is wrong with them I am going to try to troubleshoot the basics. I am inclined to believe this is corrupted ROM where the software resides, so the only way to repair it would be with another ROM chip soldered in the place of his one. There are several reasons why the design may have a read only chip, but definitely I would have thought that you would ensure it is flawless before you put it on thousands of displays that you will sell for $100 ( I don't feel a $100 is a disposable product for home use).
You all have a good evening and good luck with your displays.

Offline Dartman

• Village Idiot
« Reply #101 on: April 14, 2020, 01:22:53 AM »
WELP

Guess what, guys... my THIRD display froze last night. No power outage occured. I hate to say it, but I've lost faith in the quality of Acurite's product now. You guys can go back in this thread's history and see all the times this has happened for me and others, and seriously, after a year I would expect them to figure out what is causing these displays to freeze and fix it. I even said back in November when I received this unit that just froze that I didn't expect it to last more than six months. And guess what? :P

I'll contact Acurite for another replacement, but it's now past the warranty period, so we'll see.

:evil:
Well I ordered mine like the 27th of September 2018 from Amazon as part of the first batches to go out and they are replacing it free so way past a year. They are sending me a free one so you should be fine even if you already got a bunch of them. Mine worked fine till I unplugged it to reset it in all that time. I was looking around to see if there are any firmware updates for them but doesn't seem to be any.
I was wondering the same thing seeing how the new units have R on them. It does have a usb port so MAYBE it could be updated if they chose to release it and enable the port.
Anyway if they are willing to keep replacing them so be it, they are taking care of the problem and we don't have to spend 99 or more to get a replacement.

Offline anotherwxwolf

« Reply #102 on: April 14, 2020, 04:04:50 PM »
They are sending me a free one so you should be fine even if you already got a bunch of them.

Yup. Just got an email from Acurite support stating they would be covering this and will be shipping me another display unit.

I do appreciate the fact that they're doing this after the original one year warranty expired back in November of 2019. But if this next display fails prematurely, I'm going to move on to another brand. I can shell out $600 for a Davis or might even look into open source options since I'm a little tech savvy :)
Awoo!

Offline Dartman

• Village Idiot
« Reply #103 on: April 14, 2020, 09:14:18 PM »
Well, let's hope the newer firmware version is bullet proof and I guess try to avoid unplugging it. Would be nice to just try updating the firmware like many of my DVD burners and motherboards and Blue Ray players, TVs etc. I actually saved a motherboard that I bricked by accidentally having a identical one my buddy had. We swapped in the good rom chip from the other one, got it booted up, then hot swapped my dead one in and flashed it. It took it as it was just corrupted from a bad flash and worked fine till I retired it. Computer flash chips are usually in a socket and once the machine boots up they aren't read again till it reboots or you flash update it.

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #104 on: April 21, 2020, 10:45:46 AM »
Well I guess I joined the group of people whose Atlas display has died . I needed to do something so simple as move my display to another wall and after about 10 minutes re-plugged it back in and it froze on the start up page . Mine showed  V04m . I contacted Acurite and showed proof of purchase from amazon . I bought it on  May 8, 2019 and they have already shipped out a new one . The customer service on this issue seems to be outstanding . Mine is coming the good old FedEx smart post and should be here by the end of the week . 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 10:47:43 AM by Mabcmb »

Offline anotherwxwolf

« Reply #105 on: April 21, 2020, 01:40:49 PM »
Just got my third replacement in this morning and it's running firmware v.04r

I'll agree that the customer service from Acurite has been outstanding each time my last three displays have frozen. I really hope this screen holds up!

Awoo!

Offline CSB

« Reply #106 on: April 21, 2020, 09:21:16 PM »
Don't you guys ever get sick of Fixing and Replacing. I mean, three times?

Offline anotherwxwolf

« Reply #107 on: April 21, 2020, 11:09:03 PM »
Don't you guys ever get sick of Fixing and Replacing. I mean, three times?

yup. when this one freezes, I'm moving over to Davis or whatever else costs a lot of money. Because you know.. you get what you pay for, right?
Awoo!

Offline Dartman

• Village Idiot
« Reply #108 on: April 22, 2020, 02:37:50 AM »
Well mine showed up today with the R firmware and it immediately picked up my station. I did a few power cycles and it booted past the splash screen quickly without locking up so I set up a few things and calibrated the indoor temperature and pressure to what my old back up weather station shows. Hopefully it will continue to work till I decide to upgrade some day but so far so good and I get another year of warranty I suppose.

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #109 on: April 25, 2020, 04:06:54 PM »
Well I guess I joined the group of people whose Atlas display has died . I needed to do something so simple as move my display to another wall and after about 10 minutes re-plugged it back in and it froze on the start up page . Mine showed  V04m . I contacted Acurite and showed proof of purchase from amazon . I bought it on  May 8, 2019 and they have already shipped out a new one . The customer service on this issue seems to be outstanding . Mine is coming the good old FedEx smart post and should be here by the end of the week .

Well I got my new display running V04r and so far it seems to be working . Took awhile to get here but that's due to FedEx smart post and not Acurite fault .  Hope this one works for the long haul !!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Dartman

• Village Idiot
« Reply #110 on: April 25, 2020, 04:17:16 PM »
Like I said, let's hope the R firmware is stable and doesn't eventually die if you cycle the power. Sure wish they'd release firmware updates, probably could salvage dead displays without replacing them. Hard to say what the actual issue is but would love to bring my dead one back, but nothing obviously burned up on the board.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #111 on: April 25, 2020, 06:32:01 PM »
One possibility is that the culprit is bad flash storage that after a certain amount of use it just ceases up. This is a common occurrence to flash drives and solid state hard drives after a certain amount of use. For solid state hard drives a lot more goes into preventing this as they are over provisioned and monitored so that they can report on their health before they stop working (if you enable that feature in your operating system).

What this means is that no firmware update is going to resolve this. The newer units would hopefully be utilizing a better flash storage with a greater life cycle usage. But the fact that some people are on their 2nd and 3rd replacement does not indicate that they have resolved the problem in their BOM.

Of course I'm just putting all this as a possibility to ponder as we don't know the real cause of the issue since Acurite is not providing details.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Dartman

• Village Idiot
« Reply #112 on: April 25, 2020, 06:59:41 PM »
All my computers here use ssd drives to boot from as they are so much faster and affordable now. They use all kinds of wear leveling and things to make sure they don't get a bad block or something that takes out the drive and it's data. I've had hard drives that are over 10 years old that still work fine and others that didn't make 6 months. The average for a decent drive is 5 years. I try to buy enterprise level drives when I can as they're built to a much higher standard to run 24/7 in servers and critical data environments.

Offline anotherwxwolf

« Reply #113 on: November 15, 2020, 04:07:06 AM »
I'm happy to report that eight months later and after a few power outages including one tonight, the unit with the v.04r firmware still powers on without freezing. Maybe Acurite finally fixed the issue!
Awoo!

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #114 on: November 17, 2020, 09:30:38 AM »
Looking at the AcuRite website, the AcuRite Atlas™ Weather Station with Direct-to-Wi-Fi Display and Lightning Detection is out of stock.  I was told they plan to have them available early December.  Hoping the problems listed here have been worked out.

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #115 on: November 18, 2020, 02:11:56 PM »
Looking at the AcuRite website, the AcuRite Atlas™ Weather Station with Direct-to-Wi-Fi Display and Lightning Detection is out of stock.  I was told they plan to have them available early December.  Hoping the problems listed here have been worked out.

I just got an email that it is now in stock.

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #116 on: November 18, 2020, 03:08:39 PM »
Thank you =D>

Offline Data_Dan

« Reply #117 on: May 29, 2021, 10:02:35 AM »
Just upgraded from a 5 in 1 to an Atlas. When I plugged in the display (6061M) ...nothing DOA! There was no voltage coming from the power adapter. I contacted support and they are sending me a whole new unit! I checked the website and they don't even sell a replacement power adapter for the 6061M! Would the power adapter for the 6058M work on this model? It has the same voltage rating.

Offline NHSA

« Reply #118 on: May 29, 2021, 10:42:07 AM »
Just upgraded from a 5 in 1 to an Atlas. When I plugged in the display (6061M) ...nothing DOA! There was no voltage coming from the power adapter. I contacted support and they are sending me a whole new unit! I checked the website and they don't even sell a replacement power adapter for the 6061M! Would the power adapter for the 6058M work on this model? It has the same voltage rating.

Hi,

Yes it does as long is the polarity of the connector is the same. Amperage does not play a role in this case. Same Voltage is important.

Minus is outer part of the connector and Plus is inner hole.

Offline Data_Dan

« Reply #119 on: May 29, 2021, 11:37:15 AM »
I think the polarity is the same. I'll order one and report back if it works. (Using a $10 off coupon which expires in a week so I just have to pay the shipping)

Offline NHSA

« Reply #120 on: May 29, 2021, 12:20:16 PM »
I think the polarity is the same. I'll order one and report back if it works. (Using a $10 off coupon which expires in a week so I just have to pay the shipping)

Look at your image and you can see how the polarity of the connector is depicted.

There is a circle with a minus sign and then a line and a C like form which encloses the little dot which is connected via a line to a circle with a plus sign. This is the way many power supplies tell you the polarity of the connector.

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #121 on: May 29, 2021, 12:53:41 PM »
Be aware, the diameter of the "plug" may be different.

Offline Data_Dan

« Reply #122 on: June 02, 2021, 03:12:09 PM »
The new adapter came today. It's identical to the one that came with the 6061M. I don't know why they don't show this on their website!
Everything is up and running!

Offline NHSA

« Reply #123 on: June 02, 2021, 04:52:02 PM »
The new adapter came today. It's identical to the one that came with the 6061M. I don't know why they don't show this on their website!
Everything is up and running!

Good to hear. Did you test the other one ?

Offline Data_Dan

« Reply #124 on: June 12, 2021, 08:00:33 AM »
The original display works with the new adapter that I ordered and the new display that they provided works too.

anything