Author Topic: Atlas display frozen  (Read 22870 times)

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
Re: Atlas display frozen
« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2019, 12:47:00 PM »
Has anybody had problems with the display and software V04M ? Mine started not picking up my Atlas last week and seems to disconnected from it off and on all daylong now .  Nothing has moved or changed between last week and before this started happening . Just wondering if before peoples display locked up did anyone else notice it not connecting to there Atlas ?? 

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 12:49:28 PM by Mabcmb »

Offline AlanD96

« Reply #76 on: December 22, 2019, 04:27:30 PM »
In my case I had no connection problems at all before the lockup.   Maybe others have had different experiences. 

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2019, 10:19:27 AM »
Has anybody had problems with the display and software V04M ? Mine started not picking up my Atlas last week and seems to disconnected from it off and on all daylong now .  Nothing has moved or changed between last week and before this started happening . Just wondering if before peoples display locked up did anyone else notice it not connecting to there Atlas ?? 

I had no other issues. I simply needed to unplug it in order to move it to another outlet. Once I plugged it back in, it froze.
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline giveme5

« Reply #78 on: December 23, 2019, 12:11:49 PM »
Do you have the access through your smartphone?  I'll take a replacement if they offer me ons, but I'm not buying another one of these screens! I have our 5-in-1 linked to our smart phones and we get the same info.

Phone apps and myacurite website just don't update frequently enough for my usage (wind speed). Atlas Display updates wind data every 10 seconds.
For now I use WU which updates more frequently.

No connectivity issues with display at all. Could be issue with your Atlas radio rather than display receiver.

Offline fosterangela

« Reply #79 on: December 23, 2019, 05:22:26 PM »
Contacted Acurite through online chat. As usual, they were great. Sending out another replacement display. However, the displays are out of stock until January 14. Just a heads up! Maybe they will develop a "new and improved" model in the coming new year. Merry Christmas everyone!!

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #80 on: December 23, 2019, 05:35:20 PM »
I've been watching this thread for a while. I think it is great on Acurite to replace displays. But it would be good to know what the source of this problem is. Why does it happen? Is it bad flash storage? Is it a bad firmware bug that will soon be fixed for all currently working displays to prevent this? Or is it some other hardware defect? Without answers there is loss of consumer trust. Nobody wants a ticking time bomb. What happens after your warranty is over and your display freezes up? Are you then SOL? This whole issue warrants all of these answers.

To anyone dealing with this issue, please pressure Acurite to provide more answers.

The fact that it has been months of waiting to hear on the Access erroneous data upload issue is unsettling. I don't see why finding the reason should take so long.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 05:42:39 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #81 on: December 23, 2019, 06:18:24 PM »
I've been watching this thread for a while. I think it is great on Acurite to replace displays. But it would be good to know what the source of this problem is. Why does it happen? Is it bad flash storage? Is it a bad firmware bug that will soon be fixed for all currently working displays to prevent this? Or is it some other hardware defect? Without answers there is loss of consumer trust. Nobody wants a ticking time bomb. What happens after your warranty is over and your display freezes up? Are you then SOL? This whole issue warrants all of these answers.

To anyone dealing with this issue, please pressure Acurite to provide more answers.

The fact that it has been months of waiting to hear on the Access erroneous data upload issue is unsettling. I don't see why finding the reason should take so long.

You're not going to hear anything.

They are professionals and will handle it as they see fit.  If it is a manufacturing problem, they've never had any issues fixing things out-of-warranty.

Offline Glenn Hermes

« Reply #82 on: January 01, 2020, 08:31:23 PM »
Well my Atlas screen froze today.  Looking around online, I found this forum.  Guess I'll contact Acurite customer service tomorrow and see what they say. 

Offline AlanD96

« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2020, 10:20:58 AM »
Last April I purchased an Atlas with three displays.  Two of them had to be replaced because of frozen screens, and the third died last night.

This morning I chatted with Sara, who promised to send out another replacement.  It's interesting that now Acurite wants you to send a pic of the frozen display first. 
I still appreciate the fact that they're so prompt sending out the replacements.  It must be frustrating for them.  I hope they figure out what's causing this.

Offline AlanD96

« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2020, 10:43:47 AM »
OK, I'm seriously impressed.

Yesterday at 9 am I chatted with Sara about my frozen Atlas display.   This morning at 8:30 am, FedEx dropped off my new display, less than 24 hours after learning about the failure!  No SurePost delays this time.   

I don't know of any other company which would provide a replacement as quickly as this.   It makes me feel good about AcuRite and as I said yesterday, I hope they get this problem resolved because the company certainly LOST money on my purchase with them.  I feel they sincerely try to manufacture quality products and this must be as frustrating for them as well as us, the customer.

And it looks like the current firmware is   v.04r.   I'm not 100 per cent positive because the screen lasts for less than a second and I was NOT about to keep unplugging the unit to make sure. 

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2020, 10:47:34 AM »
Though it may be frustrating for them they need to back to the designers and figure out why there failing, cant keep giving away free displays.

I've always had great luck with customer support!!
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2020, 10:49:11 AM »
OK, I'm seriously impressed.

Yesterday at 9 am I chatted with Sara about my frozen Atlas display.   This morning at 8:30 am, FedEx dropped off my new display, less than 24 hours after learning about the failure!  No SurePost delays this time.   

I don't know of any other company which would provide a replacement as quickly as this.   It makes me feel good about AcuRite and as I said yesterday, I hope they get this problem resolved because the company certainly LOST money on my purchase with them.  I feel they sincerely try to manufacture quality products and this must be as frustrating for them as well as us, the customer.

And it looks like the current firmware is   v.04r.   I'm not 100 per cent positive because the screen lasts for less than a second and I was NOT about to keep unplugging the unit to make sure.

Keep us updated with your results!
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline wxwolf

« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2020, 07:29:40 PM »
I had my replacement screen die after being loosing power in early Jan, they sent me another replacement last week. I might have to put this one on a UPS or something.

Offline Jibster

« Reply #88 on: February 05, 2020, 11:16:08 AM »
I changed the batteries on my Atlas unit a few days ago, but the display still showed low battery. I unplugged the display hoping it would reset, and poof, frozen. Acurite replaced my Atlas twice in the past year and the third one has been working well so I am hopeful this display issue will be also be resolved, but so far they have not responded. At least I know I am in good company  :-)
ECOWITT GW1000 | WH32 | WS68 | WH40 | WH57
KNCRALEI888

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #89 on: February 05, 2020, 11:24:05 AM »
I changed the batteries on my Atlas unit a few days ago, but the display still showed low battery. I unplugged the display hoping it would reset, and poof, frozen. Acurite replaced my Atlas twice in the past year and the third one has been working well so I am hopeful this display issue will be also be resolved, but so far they have not responded. At least I know I am in good company  :-)

When you open the splash page what does it show on there for your batteries ?

Offline Jibster

« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2020, 11:44:02 AM »

I am not sure what the splash page is, but here is what I see:
The "Acurite Access Info" page for my Access now shows battery "normal."
The frozen screen on the display indicates that I have version v04o
KNCRALEI888

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2020, 11:52:18 AM »

I am not sure what the splash page is, but here is what I see:
The "Acurite Access Info" page for my Access now shows battery "normal."
The frozen screen on the display indicates that I have version v04o

The splash page is your Access IP address so that's good that it shows normal . So your batteries are good .  Also I looking at my display and I don't see a battery meter on it . If you remember where did you see this ?

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 11:55:47 AM by Mabcmb »

Offline Jibster

« Reply #92 on: February 05, 2020, 12:30:46 PM »
I think the low battery symbol (a red battery icon) appeared just under the word "low" where the display shows the low temperature.

I actually noticed the battery was low through my access IP page, and only noticed the low battery icon on the display after I changed the batteries. I checked my access IP page that day because WU was showing that my station was not reporting (turned out it was a certificate issue with my chrome browser).
KNCRALEI888

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2020, 12:52:05 PM »
I think the low battery symbol (a red battery icon) appeared just under the word "low" where the display shows the low temperature.

I actually noticed the battery was low through my access IP page, and only noticed the low battery icon on the display after I changed the batteries. I checked my access IP page that day because WU was showing that my station was not reporting (turned out it was a certificate issue with my chrome browser).

Thanks for the info !!! My eyes aren't what they use to be so at least now I will know what that is if it pops up on my display . Good luck on your display hope they get you a new one fast !!

Offline ShawnD

« Reply #94 on: February 17, 2020, 11:50:53 PM »
My brother, who lives next door, and I bought an Atlas sensor and 2 HD Displays in July 2019. I bought another one for me in November 2019. Yesterday there was a very quick power interruption lasting a second or two. Both displays bought back in July now hang at the splash screen and show v04n. The other display works fine and shows v04r.

Funny thing is the display I bought in November was faulty. It would work for about 5 minutes and then go blank. AcuRite replaced it with the one I'm using now and did not ask me to return the defective display. I still have the "faulty" display and decided to give it a try. It's been working fine. Splash shows v04r also.

AcuRite said they will be happy to replace the two v04n displays which are not working. They also asked for the QC number from the back of the display. Both displays have QC of 0819. Must be from the same batch of production I assume.

Offline Dartman

• Village Idiot
« Reply #95 on: April 09, 2020, 03:48:55 PM »
My display just froze up yesterday after I noticed my phone app wasn't updating so I decided to see if rebooting the display would help. Of course it locks up on the initial splash screen and goes no further and tried all the fixes like the reset button etc. It has been working fine right up to this point and I've unplugged it before accidentally or to fix the occasional glitch and it restarted fine.
It's been over a year since I got one of the first batch they sold so we'll see if they'll still do anything but they responded quickly to my support emails asking for pictures and info. I have used the live chat before on Facebook I think but it was after hours when I finally gave up. My unit has a QC of 3018 and is on v.04m.
I'll send off the pics and info and see how it goes.

Offline Dartman

• Village Idiot
« Reply #96 on: April 09, 2020, 05:02:02 PM »
Well I have to say I'm impressed. I sent off the pictures and info the gal helping me wanted and like 5 minutes later I get a shipping invoice for 99 bucks, discounted to zero for customer satisfaction I guess  [tup]
I ordered it the 30th of September 2018 so it is past the 1 year warranty but they still took care of it immediately. They did similar years ago when many of us were dealing with bad fans on the earlier 5n1s. They sent me a dual panel upgrade free when I turned it in even though it was out of warranty as well, but it was a recall item.
The stuff might not always be perfect but I have to say they still take customer service very seriously  =D>

Offline AlanD96

« Reply #97 on: April 10, 2020, 10:58:44 AM »
Well I have to say I'm impressed. I sent off the pictures and info the gal helping me wanted and like 5 minutes later I get a shipping invoice for 99 bucks, discounted to zero for customer satisfaction I guess  [tup]
I ordered it the 30th of September 2018 so it is past the 1 year warranty but they still took care of it immediately. They did similar years ago when many of us were dealing with bad fans on the earlier 5n1s. They sent me a dual panel upgrade free when I turned it in even though it was out of warranty as well, but it was a recall item.
The stuff might not always be perfect but I have to say they still take customer service very seriously  =D>

I have to agree Dartman.    The last time I chatted with them about my frozen display, they took my information and I received a replacement THE NEXT DAY!!   
I don't think you can ask more from their customer service.   I just wish for them that the cause of these failures can be figured out and corrected, it must be frustrating if not just very costly. 

Offline Dartman

• Village Idiot
« Reply #98 on: April 10, 2020, 11:30:14 AM »

I have to agree Dartman.    The last time I chatted with them about my frozen display, they took my information and I received a replacement THE NEXT DAY!!   
I don't think you can ask more from their customer service.   I just wish for them that the cause of these failures can be figured out and corrected, it must be frustrating if not just very costly.
Well they aren't sending mine next day, they are using Smart Post which is a lot cheaper and known to be slow but they are replacing it free and I can use my tablet or phone as a display till it gets here so very happy. Woot.com use smart post and as a joke they use a snail with a package on its back as their meme for it, If it does get here super quick I'll be thrilled but either way I get a replacement without spending 99 bucks to get it when we're all trying to hang onto money considering what's happening right now. I'll post when it gets here.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 01:04:32 AM by Dartman »

Offline anotherwxwolf

« Reply #99 on: April 10, 2020, 02:38:12 PM »
WELP

Guess what, guys... my THIRD display froze last night. No power outage occured. I hate to say it, but I've lost faith in the quality of Acurite's product now. You guys can go back in this thread's history and see all the times this has happened for me and others, and seriously, after a year I would expect them to figure out what is causing these displays to freeze and fix it. I even said back in November when I received this unit that just froze that I didn't expect it to last more than six months. And guess what? :P

I'll contact Acurite for another replacement, but it's now past the warranty period, so we'll see.

:evil:
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 06:13:01 PM by anotherwxwolf »
Awoo!