Author Topic: some questions - GR Level 3  (Read 4630 times)

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
some questions - GR Level 3
« on: June 28, 2009, 10:38:08 PM »
Are there any features unlocked once you purchase the key after your 21 days trial?

Is there a way to save your view.  Since I am using and plan to continue using ken's script to show the GR3 images, each time it starts, the view goes back to an image centered on the radar.  Also when playing around, how do you get it back exactly to where it was before.
http://www.mackweather.com/gr3.php?map=br248

When the program launches, you need to start "web publishing" manually each time.  No saved setting?

Can you alter anything with the web publishing?  Frequency of uploads, which products you have uploading... it seems you need to use built in ftp, I dont see the images stored anywhere locally... to use something like Fling.

Probably a wishlist item, I like all my 24/7 applications to run minimized on the system tray, rather then bottom bar.  Less chance of accidental closure... Any chance this exists on the full version?

I think I may have answered some of my questions, it looks like you can open a second instance of the application, so you can use that for looking around at other sites and zooms, so your main version can upload your home view to your site.  However my second instance did not load all my placefiles...

Thanks,
Andrew
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 10:40:26 PM by mackbig »

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
Re: some questions - GR Level 3
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 12:39:22 AM »
Take a look at this thread:

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=453.0

I think it will answer most of your questions. 
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 07:29:18 AM »
Thanks Mark.
I did not go back that far in my searches, thinking the software might have been updated a bit in the past 2.5 years.

The software seems very cool if you are at your pc, but needs a bit of handholding on the set and forget web side of things....  I guess that's why they give you 21 days to figure out if its right for you.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 10:00:57 PM »
There have been updates.  The main thing that comes to mind is the addition of TWDR radar sites.  I had some issues with my DSL connection tweaking the ftp uploads causing them to stall.  Also my old weather computer could not provide the smoothing option and I found that LogMeIn would also cause problems with it which I use on occasion from work.  (TightVNC however does work with it for me.)  In the end I decided to put the Weatherunderground radar on my site (php browser adjustable one) and just use GR on my laptop for storm monitoring.  

All said though I still love the program and also went with an Allison House subscription mainly for lightning.  I have it running on my laptop anytime there is a shower within 150 miles of me.  
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 10:04:14 PM by Mark / Ohio »
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 12:04:52 AM »
Almost forgot and I could not find a link to it last night.  Here's a neat small program I've been using to minimize items in the task bar down to a tray icon.

http://download.cnet.com/Minimizer-XP/3000-2086_4-10401384.html
Mark 

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 06:15:43 AM »
Thanks Mark, this would have prevented the "wife issue" from yesterday.  I will check it out.

It does seem like a great program for when you are at your pc/laptop, good/ok for set and forget.  Remembering the zoom and web publishing settings would be a definite good upgrade to the software.  I tracked the storms last night with a second instance of the program running last night, so it did not mess up my uploads.

Andrew

Almost forgot and I could not find a link to it last night.  Here's a neat small program I've been using to minimize items in the task bar down to a tray icon.

http://download.cnet.com/Minimizer-XP/3000-2086_4-10401384.html

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 12:47:20 PM »
So I purchased GR3 after my trial expired.  its cool enough. 

I used TrayIt to hide it in the system tray.  Pretty cool app, suggested by a forum member, it even remembers the next time the program is opened that you want it minimized on start.  So that will prevent the userwife errors on my uploads.

I made a cheat sheet with range and degrees, so that I can zoom and find the almost exact zoom and location level for each time I have to start.  Save last close, or something would be a very good upgrade to the software...

One question, I noticed some people have a custom "logo" top left on their radar image.  Is that part of the program? or it is done with a PHP type image adjuster?  I have not restarted the program since putting my reg code in, so may some menu or features will unhide themselves for me....

Also, some people have suggested going to http://www.grlevelx.com/owners/ for tips and hints... but I sent my registration at the end of June, and have not been "activated" yet.  Is that an active forum?   I would rather get answers here, but figured I would search through their archives for stuff prior to asking some questions.

Andrew

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 05:24:17 PM »
The Owner's board is very active and filled with members employed by NOAA, the SPC and a number of broadcast and research/education facilities.  I have no idea why you haven't been activated.  You might want to email the Admin.

There's some good information at the Trials board too ( http://www.grlevelx.com/trials/ ) and you can contact Admin there.  No waiting for activation on that board.

Logos can be added in the GR directory and will display automatically.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 05:33:05 PM by WeatherHost »

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 08:24:35 PM »
Thanks Weatherhost. Sent a request for new activation code. got it within an hour or so.  I guess they needed to link up my purchase registration with the request for the forum.  Hence the "owners" part.  So since I did not actually purchase till Saturday....

The logo thing was easy, but I guess a secret for owners.

Andrew

anything