Author Topic: TVS on radar  (Read 8592 times)

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
TVS on radar
« on: April 10, 2009, 10:37:07 PM »
    I have been watching the radar tonight and have seen 2 instances of a TVS but no warning was issued, at least a box did not appear and the TVS icon remained for the last 15 minutes. :???: The radar site is KFFC Atlanta.  My question is:  Is it common to see TVS icons and have no warning?  The rotation is visible (at least I think it is and my opinion is little more than a guess at this point) on SRV1, 2, & 3.  Thanks for help in advance!!!
  Right after I posted I saw a warning was issued so I have had to add this.  I guess my question now is:  :?: Is there a standard of time, or number of scans that the icon must be present to issue a warning? :?:  Thanx :!:
               Mark   :roll:
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 10:40:59 PM by Downlinerz2 »

blackjack52

Re: TVS on radar
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 11:50:52 PM »
TVSs are further software interpolations and are not a guarantee for generating a warning. However, from what I learned, if accompanied w/ a meso, it's almost certain to, especially when shear is >45mph. I would surmise a few scans are needed for radar interpolation.

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 12:05:22 AM »
Lee,
   Thanks for your response.  I am slowly getting up to speed on the GR radar and all it's intricasies. Subscribed to Allisonhouse and going to set that up in AM so I will undoubtedly be back with more questions then.  Hope I am not too much of a pest, but I would be nuts not to mine this forums treasures of knowledge!
    Have a Great Weekend!! :!: =D> \:D/ UU UU :wink:
                   Mark

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 12:58:09 AM »
I am slowly getting up to speed on the GR radar and all it's intricasies.

Are you registered on the GR Owner's forum?

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 01:07:05 AM »
Are you registered on the GR Owner's forum?
     I have not yet registered.  I will soon. I have been planning on doing so since I purchased GR but I have been holding back.  I suppose I haven't because I find this forum so friendly, and, it is so full of people who truly know their stuff. Everytime I have had a question I thought I might as well ask here first and if I can't find the answer then go to the owners forum.  And for the last couple days I pretty much forgot about it.  I will do it soon. 
            Thanks---Mark :grin:

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.wxbeacon.com
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 09:26:15 AM »

.... I suppose I haven't because I find this forum so friendly, and, it is so full of people who truly know their stuff.

No arguments there!

Also look into joining GRLevelXStuff. They have many free add-ons that enhance GRLevel3.

http://www.grlevelxstuff.com

Kevin...

EDIT:  If I recall correctly, you have to join the owner's forum before you can join GRLevelXStuff.... I think you receive an invitation to join "Stuff" after joining the owner's forum.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 09:38:04 AM by WeatherBeacon »
Mae govannen!
Kevin  (Member AMS) http://www.wxbeacon.com               Genesee County, Michigan
Hardware:  Davis Vantage Pro Wireless, Midland WR-300
Software: VWS 14.01p43, WeatherFlash, & GRLevel3

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 10:17:14 AM »
Also look into joining GRLevelXStuff. They have many free add-ons that enhance GRLevel3.

http://www.grlevelxstuff.com

Kevin...

Kevin,   =D> \:D/
    I joined that one already. I wanted more roads and a better background.  I also downloaded the "eta" addon.  I really like the "eta" addon.  The only bad part is I can't make up my mind which reflectivity color table I like.  I have been changing back and forth ever since I downloaded several.  Decisions, decisions, so many decisions. Actually I love it. :grin: \:D/
            Thanx and have a great weekend :!: :grin: =D>

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 10:30:19 AM »

Kevin,   =D> \:D/
.... I can't make up my mind which reflectivity color table I like.  I have been changing back and forth ever since I downloaded several.  Decisions, decisions, so many decisions.

Nice thing about it is you can easily download a color table, try it, and if you don't like it, try another one. Pretty slick. :-"

For reflectivity, I like Aegisglowingreflectivity.

Kevin...
Mae govannen!
Kevin  (Member AMS) http://www.wxbeacon.com               Genesee County, Michigan

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 10:35:52 AM »
Kevin,
  For sure I will have to try aegisglowingreflectivity
one thing I look for on the downloads at GRlevelstuff is how many people have downloaded something to get an idea how popular a particular download is.   thanks again :grin:

blackjack52

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 10:50:26 AM »
You're welcome Downlinerz.

Is the eta like a pathcast?

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 10:55:55 AM »
  It is a window where you enter a particular cell ID and what radar site it is one and it gives you the direction, speed, and then lists cities in the path and what time the cell will reach it, the estimated time of arrival.  There are a couple other things it does, like auto track for instance, but I have not used that yet.                                Thanx for your help!
                                  Mark
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 10:58:58 AM by Downlinerz2 »

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 11:42:33 AM »
  It is a window where you enter a particular cell ID and what radar site it is one and it gives you the direction, speed, and then lists cities in the path and what time the cell will reach it, the estimated time of arrival.  There are a couple other things it does, like auto track for instance, but I have not used that yet.                                Thanx for your help!
                                  Mark

Hmm. I might have to look into that. Please keep us posted, Mark, on how well it works!

Kevin...
Mae govannen!

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 06:25:56 PM »
I never really liked those ETA addons.
Things change so fast with storms that location X to be hit in 10 minutes may be completely missed. Storms die, turn north, south etc.
I guess its just eye candy but I can't see an actual use for it. I know TV stations love to use it but most TV stations over dramatize even a small thunderstorm.

blackjack52

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 07:41:49 PM »
I seldomly use pathcast in Stormlab, unless a meso is "on glideslope/on course" for us. But it's the stormcell table that really provides the dynamics. Those VILS were really scary yesterday. J1 hit us, luckily just the hail core; NE side of meso.

Any use Meso Trac software?

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2009, 08:33:15 PM »
Never really understood VIL. I know what it is but how it relates to the actual storm, no.

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2009, 08:49:58 PM »
Never really understood VIL. I know what it is but how it relates to the actual storm, no.

This is out of the Accu-eather  book "NEXRAD Doppler-Radar Users Guide" Copywrite 1999:  "The computer programs assume that all reflectivities are from liquid water and then uses equations to convert the reflectivities to liquid water content.  Hail has unusally high-reflectivities (much higher than the largest raindrops) which can cause this product to overestimate the amount of liquid water actually contained in the clouds. For this reason, very high VIL values in thunderstorms are a good indication that hail may be occurring."              Mark
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 08:53:58 PM by Downlinerz2 »

blackjack52

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2009, 09:19:50 PM »
The larger the hail, stronger the updraft, the stronger the storm. As put by one of the local wx guys...hail is mother nature's TOR warning because hail usually precedes.

The tops were at 40k, very strong. Supports the VIL #s.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2009, 12:19:37 AM »
Things change so fast with storms that location X to be hit in 10 minutes may be completely missed. Storms die, turn north, south etc.
I guess its just eye candy but I can't see an actual use for it. I know TV stations love to use it but most TV stations over dramatize even a small thunderstorm.

Which is why GR's Admin doesn't endorse it and won't add it into the program.

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2009, 07:39:14 PM »

Which is why GR's Admin doesn't endorse it and won't add it into the program.

Yeah, I usually have "Storm Tracks" turned off when I'm running GRL3.
Mae govannen!

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2009, 08:13:54 PM »
    I think the storm tracks and the eta are just another tool that can be used.  Like all the other radar products, none are "stand alone".  They are used in conjunction with all the rest and should never be relied upon to the exclusion of the rest.
                                   Mark :-)

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2009, 08:29:57 AM »
    I think the storm tracks and the eta are just another tool that can be used.  Like all the other radar products, none are "stand alone".  They are used in conjunction with all the rest and should never be relied upon to the exclusion of the rest.
                                   Mark :-)

I agree... Just a prepardness tool to make one aware of the possibility..if you haven't already figured that out. Noticed the over dramatization this past week on local TV they were all shook up over a storm that was just not that impressive on my radar. And reports yielded no damage in the areas where they projected there would be.. Just goes to proves there are too many variables to totally predict the exact path of a particular storm

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092