Weather Software > WeatherLink/weatherlink.com by Davis Instruments

questions about moving from VWS to weatherlink

(1/4) > >>

marklyn:
I'm going to give up my VWS and moving to a paid subscription of weatherlink Pro.
My VWS is running on a dedicated PC and has been collecting data for 15+ years and uploading to weather underground.
I also have a Vantage Pro 2 console connected to the dedicated "weather" computer via USB/serial and I have a weatherlink console which receives data from the VP2 console.
I have about 15 years of data stored locally on the computer from VWS and also have been uploading data to weather underground.
Questions.
Can I install weatherlink on the same PC to get it up and running while VWS is still running?
Will I be able to save weather data locally through weatherlink or does everything have to be uploaded to their cloud servers?
Most importantly and assuming this can be done, are there any tutorials or websites that show how to export/import your VWS data to weatherlink?
Or, can someone outline some basic steps on this?

Mattk:
So what is the relationship (comms wise / re-transmit etc) between the "Weatherlink console" (Davis Part# ?) and the VP2 Console? Assume VP2 Console is a #6312?

In regard the specific questions and without too much expanded explanation (for now)

- Can I install weatherlink on the same PC to get it up and running while VWS is still running? YES should be able to from the VP2 Console USB/serial logger only.
- Will I be able to save weather data locally through weatherlink. WeatherLinkPC YES
or does everything have to be uploaded to their cloud servers? It can be uploaded then downloaded back to WeatherLinkPC
- Most importantly and assuming this can be done, are there any tutorials or websites that show how to export/import your VWS data to weatherlink? No real background on that one but would say to WeatherLink.com (cloud) NO, there maybe (just maybe) some means to convert or import locally?? Others may know more about this one? 

marklyn:
The vantage pro console is a #6312
The weatherlink console is a # 6313

johnd:
The 6313 console will do its own thing and can upload to weatherlink.com quite independently of what that 6312 legacy console is doing. So the easiest thing is probably to think of the 6312 console/logger as providing local data while the 6313 console services the cloud data. And the 2 consoles will run independently of each other.

You can install Weatherlink for Windows software at the same time as VWS is installed. But you cannot run Weatherlink and VWS at the same time. The USB logger can only talk to one program at a time and its data cannot be shared between 2 programs. (Well, at least not without using the discontinued Virtual VP software, but that's a different can of worms.)

As Mattk says, AFAIK there is no well-known tool for converting VWS files to Weatherlink format. But conceivably there is something out on the web, though I cannot quickly see anything promising on a Google search.

Purely as an aside, I wonder how far you could get by asking chatGPT (though Gemini or Perplexity might be more suitable) to write some code for doing the conversion? I am sure that it wouldn't do the whole thing, but maybe it could provide a suitable starting point for further development, especially if asked in a RAG configuration, providing the data formats in the context.

marklyn:
Thanks for the info.  I thought it was going to be easy exporting VWS data to weatherlink, I guess I'll have to come up with a plan.
A couple more questions.
Does the 6313 get it's data from the 6312?
Once the weatherlink software is running in place of VWS, can I pull various data, meaning is the data stored locally and readable for me to use?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version