Author Topic: Hope everyone is ok...Wash your hands.  (Read 57971 times)

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
Re: Hope everyone is ok...Wash your hands.
« Reply #900 on: July 15, 2020, 08:54:18 AM »
not sure what too make of that post

1. its not comic (cartoon worthy)
2. it paints a thought of money is more important than humanity
 (is that the current USA mindset that governs the decisions)
3. if none of above please explain because i dont see anything worthy just another messed up thought or totally warped humor .

Offline Jasiu

• Forecaster
    • LexMAWeather
« Reply #901 on: July 15, 2020, 09:19:22 AM »
not sure what too make of that post

1. its not comic (cartoon worthy)

There is a long history of editorial cartoons, particularly in US newspapers, that are not meant to be comic.

2. it paints a thought of money is more important than humanity
 (is that the current USA mindset that governs the decisions)

Now you're getting near the point.

3. if none of above please explain because i dont see anything worthy just another messed up thought or totally warped humor .

It is a simple expression of the messed up thought that sending people back into schools without the necessary safety measures in place at a time of a worsening pandemic is a better choice than not sending them. Editorial cartoons usually take something in the news and strip it down to its basics to get the point across. Sometimes there *is* humor involved, but not always.
https://lexmaweather.info
On Mastodon: @LexMAWeather@toot.community

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
« Reply #902 on: July 15, 2020, 09:35:57 AM »
ha i see its an american thing forgive me  .. however the problem of schools adapting is a worldwide thing not only reopening but the home online schooling i have many friends here in istanbul who work in a international K-12 environment basically they found adapting to home schooling online was a mind blowing learning curve many put in a 15 hour day or more not just in educating but actually preparing for the day ahead and learning the software.

but there are many issues surrounding schools opening especially the means of commuting to schools to those who have to on a daily basis , food and dining areas and so on . sports is a big one basically all sports teachers i knew have all broken their contracts and returned to their native countries as the requirements are zero at present and unlikely to change in the foreseeable future.

nothing positive in any aspect of this current pandemic , we see a very polarized situation in the USA and hope somewhere along in the near future there is some form of unity in the political scene , science field etc..have a good day..

« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 09:37:36 AM by weather34 »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #903 on: July 15, 2020, 09:43:54 AM »
Grade school US history books often have these polical cartoons in them to depict the actual cartoons that were published at the time in newspapers. They portraied the sentiment of that time in history (but I didn't much get it). I remember being a kid in school and saying to myself, "oh neat my school history book has cartoons." Then I would try and read them and not get it. Because alone they mean nothing. They are not funny. You had to read the chapter to understand what was going on and what the lesson was. Even after having read the chapter as a kid I thought to myself, "why are they making a cartoon of this horific thing?" As any kid knows cartoons are supposed to be funny. So yeah, back then I didn't much get history nor did I like it. It is interesting to grow up though and reflect and then get it. Interesting to now still learn that this is predominantly an American thing. Who knew. Very interesting how cultures are so similar and yet so different in other ways.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 09:52:01 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Jasiu

• Forecaster
    • LexMAWeather
« Reply #904 on: July 15, 2020, 10:07:53 AM »
Here is one of the more famous examples that gives us a term that survives today.

https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_509530

The “Gerry-Mander” cartoon first appeared in the Boston Gazette, March 26, 1812, and was quickly reprinted in Federalist newspapers in Salem and Boston. The cartoon expressed opposition to state election districts newly redrawn by Massachusetts’ Jeffersonian Democratic-Republican Party, led by Governor Elbridge Gerry. Fearing that the Federalist Party would gain power in the 1812 election, Gerry consolidated Federalist voting strength in a salamander-shaped voting district. The practice—though not invented by Gerry—became known as a "gerrymandering".

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
https://lexmaweather.info
On Mastodon: @LexMAWeather@toot.community

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #905 on: July 15, 2020, 12:10:56 PM »
Editorial cartoons go back to before the US was a country.

As for "gerrymandering" my little county here in south Alabama should get first prize for that.  We have a voting district than is a diagonal slice of area through the middle of the county but is not contiguous...it's broken up in several "islands".

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #906 on: July 15, 2020, 06:59:04 PM »
Gov. Stitt of Oklahoma said today, Wednesday, that he checked positive for covid.  His symptoms have been mild, achy, feverish.  He's been in a bad habit of going places unmasked as this story reveals:  https://www.thelostogle.com/  He's the first governor to come down with covid.  He says he's still against statewide mandatory mask wear.  Oklahoma City and Tulsa are moving closing to requiring mask wear.  Close to all of America's 50 largest cites require it.

On the same day, Oklahoma set a new one day record for positive covid cases found with 1075.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #907 on: July 15, 2020, 07:30:27 PM »
Governor of Kansas, D, will issue an executive order delaying school opening until after Labor day. Usual date for opening is around 2nd week of August. Not sure if this bit of a delay will make any practical difference. Also not sure if the other party will not come unhinged in response.

Offline the beteljuice

• the beteljuice
  • Forecaster
    • test site
« Reply #908 on: July 16, 2020, 09:04:10 AM »

On a grey note ...
Another forum I am connected with have their first known COVID 19 hospitalization.
He is in New Zealand where they went into lock down after only two confirmed cases !
The gentleman concerned spent his 77th in hospital and was eventually released.
Sadly he has finally  succumbed and has passed on.  :-(

He was a well respected and informed member of the NZ weather community.

... see the length of time involved - it will be a while more before truly meaningful statistics emerge  :sad:
Imagine what you will KNOW tomorrow !

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #909 on: July 24, 2020, 04:22:30 AM »
How sad.  The older sister of chief meteorologist Mike Morgan of KFOR-4 TV in Oklahoma City has died from covid.  She was 66.  In Oklahoma, people over age 65 are still dying by a huge majority from covid.  Oklahoma hospitals, so far, aren't overwhelmed from more covid patients.  Of greater concern is a shortage of doctors and nurses.

Meanwhile, saying they supported local control rather than state mandates, the Oklahoma State School Board voted 4-3 against mandating face coverings in schools. More at: https://www.stwnewspress.com/news/state-school-board-rejects-face-mask-mandate/article_735018d6-cd25-11ea-93de-cb4b680526ff.html

Amidst some uncertainty, Stillwater schools expect to reopen Aug. 20.  The school reopening task force has been meeting and working on a plan that incorporates guidance from the CDC, the State Department of Education and the American Academy of Pediatrics along with plans from other schools in and outside the state.

All students and teachers will have their temperatures taken before they enter the building.  Masks required.  If desired by parents, online classes will be offered.  About 29% have opted for that. 

The spike in cases has reversed in Stillwater and started a little before required mask wear, but there are still at least a few cases daily.  It needs to return to zero.  At least Stillwater has dropped one notch for total number of cases in the state from 8th to 9th.

I had dinner Thursday evening at one of my favorite restaurants, Mexico Joe's.  I went during a less busy hour.   Tables are well distanced.  After seating me, the waiter told me to have a mask on if I need to leave the table, due to city ordinance.  The restaurant now offers paper menus only upon request. No more germy hands on their colorful laminated menus. You're given a barcode printed on a small piece of paper to scan with your phone to see their menu online.  For dinner, I enjoyed Bucky's Combo, consisting of a taco and enchilada with beans and rice.  It was good.   I asked the waiter if happy hour was still in effect.  No.  I asked if they still had their delicious tortilla soup.  No.  Darn, those were the main reasons I went there once or twice a week.  The good old days have gone.  Who is Bucky?  He's Mexico Joe's donkey. 

This week I had to go to the dreaded tag office. Over a month ago they had to close for a while from a clerk testing positive.  As expected everybody there was masked.   I was glad only a couple of people were ahead of me.  Since it was in the same complex, I also went to the office where I buy insurance to say hi to a couple of friends. The receptionist aimed an electronic thermometer at me.   It lighted green for good to go. One friend isn't happy with required masks and think it's a crock.  We were all annoyed at how the local restaurants have been abbreviating their menus.  But that is part of living life in the Twilight Zone as a local newspaper columnist would put it.

Mexico Joe's pictured

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #910 on: July 26, 2020, 02:05:12 PM »
So how are people getting the virus in Oklahoma County? According to OKC-County Health Dept, contact tracing during July, the 4 hot spots for the virus have been faith based venues, restaurants, office settings and daycare. Bars, gyms, and warehouses are among other major areas of spread.

I was disappointed that the nearest suburb to Stillwater,  Perkins with a total of 31 positive cases, rejected requiring mask wear:

"A steady stream of Perkins residents opposed to an ordinance requiring them to wear face coverings in public addressed the Perkins City Commission Wednesday. It’s not clear if their arguments or the volume of opposition changed anyone’s mind, but they got what they wanted; A majority of the commissioners voted to reject a mandate and instead opt for a recommendation.

The commissioners were considering an ordinance based on the language adopted by cities like Stillwater, Tulsa and Ada, at the request of Commissioner David Lara.

Lara said he loves freedom and has considered himself a free spirit his whole life. But he knows many people who are immunocompromised or at greater risk of becoming very ill from COVID-19 because they are undergoing cancer treatment or have some other condition.

People talk about their freedom but he’s walked into many businesses where people are not social distancing, he said. He believes that people should be free to do whatever they want as long as they aren’t hurting other people.

Lara told the crowd that people worried about their risk of exposure have approached him to to ask, “What about my freedom?”

“What’s a life worth? Even if only a few?” he asked as he addressed arguments about infection and survival rates. “Freedom should be for everyone.”

He also expressed concern about the lasting health impact on even young people who survive COVID-19 infections

“Just because you didn’t die doesn’t mean you’re not going to have problems the rest of your life,” he said.

Stillwater Medical Infection Control Coordinator Necia Kimber urged the commissioners to adopt an ordinance, citing COVID-19’s potential long-term effects on the heart, blood vessels and lungs of survivors.

Lubbock, Texas, a city about three times the size of Stillwater, Perkins and Cushing combined is struggling to deal with its case load right now, Kimber said. Allowing cities in our area to get to that point could force a shutdown, something that would destroy local businesses.

Several business owners asked the commissioners to reject a mask mandate, saying it would hurt their businesses and drive away customers.

Mayor Jason Shilling told the News Press he has heard from several businesses that their sales are up, particularly among people from Stillwater.

Perkins resident Frank Wallick told the commission that if the ordinance were adopted, he would gladly drive to Cushing to buy groceries and eat out, just to celebrate his freedom.

“I will be damned before somebody tells me, on American soil, that I’ve got to cover my face to go out in public,” he said.

The Commissioners will encourage businesses to post signs asking people to wear masks and explaining CDC social distancing guidelines."

From:  https://www.stwnewspress.com/news/local_news/please-and-thank-you-perkins-city-commission-rejects-mask-mandate/article_73736fa2-bd24-5432-bd28-b90010bd6864.html

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #911 on: July 26, 2020, 02:34:19 PM »
Our big decision gets laid down on the state of minn this week.

then we are told we will get more direction from the district the second week of Aug. Nothing like waiting until the last minute. Oh yeah, our supt took a job in Madison, WI.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #912 on: July 29, 2020, 05:40:04 PM »
Branson, Mo. starts a mandatory mask ordinance on July 31st until September. Masks are required indoors and outdoors in public areas. Most of us locals have been careful. It's the idiot tourists that are showing up sick and want to be free of maks and isolation.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #913 on: July 29, 2020, 06:00:25 PM »
I was in a clinical lab yesterday getting blood work done and the nurse wore a mask that said "this mask does nothing to stop the virus". Did it ever occur to anyone to ask the size of the virus and what the filter size of the cloth masks we're all forced to wear actually is? Sure, if you actually have it and are hacking and sneezing it stops the droplets, but what about the actual virus itself while we're all out there sucking our own carbon dioxide and bacteria out of our well used masks?

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #914 on: August 02, 2020, 02:00:34 AM »

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #915 on: August 03, 2020, 11:02:41 AM »
I was at Walmart the other day.  I found that from my previous trip of a week or so ago that mask wearing was less prominent.  Most "associates" had masks on, though maybe using them for chin straps, and customers were a big mixed bag...some couples were split with one wearing and one not, many below-the-nose wearers, a few chin-strap wearers, and I saw one family of a husband and wife with 2-3 kids with no masks at all.  Then when I got to checkout I fumbled with my camera like checking a text message or something but this is what I was met with...

I think she smelled a fish and within 3-4 seconds (more or less a nanosecond) the mask was over her nose...  ](*,)

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
« Reply #916 on: August 03, 2020, 03:39:24 PM »
Monday 31st July my friend is feeling a bit under the weather  tired it was hot and humid he put it down to the heat exhaustion
Tuesday wakes up he has a sore throat and aching muscles and feeling lethargic
Wednesday extremely tired and a touch of diarrhea took the the day off work went to hospital was tested
Thursday receives phone call from hospital tests are positive rest of family is tested and all are positive,wife , mother,two sons.
Friday returns to hospital kept in under observation and treatment
Saturday mother very unwell admitted to ICU, wife and sons home isolation showing no symptoms.
Sunday he is admitted to ICU the last we heard from him .

he is a normal every day person hoes goes to work comes home has dinner watches a bit of tv goes to bed   ..

so the moral of this he has no idea who,where,what ,when he contracted this awful virus .he abided by the compulsory mask law here,carried hand sanitizer,regularly washed ,changed clothes twice a day, but like many of us when we are in familiar close family company we let our guard down we become complacent .

here in turkey and many other muslim countries the last few days has been the annual EID period a tradition which involves visiting relatives and enjoying the company ,this has been the first time i have not seen my relatives in person in twelve years ,whilst we exchanged greetings via phone it was just a 5 minute call , where normally we would spend the whole day together at times as many has 30 all sitting round the table enjoying the company and food.but not this year...we are anticipating a fresh lockdown which was lifted in June as the cases slowly creep up once again.i think in general the medical institutions and staff are better equipped and knowledgeable here to as they were at the beginning of the pandemic whilst our cases rise slowly the actual recovery rate with treatment is very high and the death rate is stable of being sub 20 per day . so there we are from turkey where political differences are not stifling in how it is being handled here .
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 03:44:24 PM by weather34 »

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #917 on: August 03, 2020, 04:17:01 PM »
Findings from the OKC-Oklahoma County Health Dept.  It might prove useful for your area:

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #918 on: August 03, 2020, 05:01:30 PM »
the sooner people and leaders take it more seriously the sooner it can be brought back under control more and the sooner life can be brought back to more normality for businesses and schools etc etc

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #919 on: August 07, 2020, 12:07:23 PM »

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #920 on: August 07, 2020, 07:39:10 PM »
My wife is a groomer. She did mine back in April. It came out ok. Wasn't as good as barber but I didn't expect it to be.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #921 on: August 07, 2020, 09:01:45 PM »
A mask and 6 feet has not stopped me from smelling too much cologne and bad BO at the store.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #922 on: August 07, 2020, 10:02:52 PM »
My wife is a groomer. She did mine back in April. It came out ok. Wasn't as good as barber but I didn't expect it to be.
But, the big question is whether you got the flea dip or not...   :grin:

Thankfully, my old elementary school buddy (dang...50 years ago!!!) was a barber so I see him for my bi-annual shearing...unless, of course, there's a special occasion or something.<grin>

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #923 on: August 08, 2020, 11:56:40 AM »
Oklahoma Gov. Stitt thinks he got covid from hugging old friends.   I wonder if they got it from the Tulsa Trump rally.

Gov. Kevin Stitt contracted COVID-19 after hugging some friends from Tulsa who were visiting him, the governor said Thursday.

“I thought I got it down in Lawton because I was touring different facilities,” Stitt said in a brief interview at the state Health Department's new contact tracing center in Oklahoma City.

“But anyway, some of my buddies from — some older gentlemen from Tulsa came down to see me. They wanted to talk to me about a new ministry that they had in Tulsa between the police and the African American community and building bridges and so they came down to see me. I hadn’t seen them in a long time and broke my own rule, gave them all hugs. I’ve known them for years. And they ended up having it. So that’s how I got it.”

https://oklahoman.com/article/5668498/stitt-says-he-got-covid-19-from-tulsa-friends
Stitt announced on July 15 that he had tested positive a day earlier. He isolated himself for 14 days and said on July 27 that he had returned to work in his Capitol office.

The governor said Thursday, “Nobody that I came in contact with got it — my wife, my kids because I noticed the symptoms and was able to quarantine immediately. So that’s how it should work.”

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
« Reply #924 on: August 08, 2020, 12:16:09 PM »
Oklahoma Gov. Stitt thinks he got covid from hugging old friends...

“But anyway, some of my buddies from — some older gentlemen from Tulsa came down to see me. They wanted to talk to me about a new ministry that they had in Tulsa between the police and the African American community and building bridges and so they came down to see me. I hadn’t seen them in a long time and broke my own rule, gave them all hugs. I’ve known them for years. And they ended up having it. So that’s how I got it.”

as i said before we become complacent amongst close friends ,family ,familiar faces ..our guard drops momentarily..but that is all it takes..

my wife returned to work on monday , two of her colleagues become unwell in the week un seasonal symptoms both were went and got  tested both positive, well that was that my wife went into meltdown of we went to get tested we both came back negative but she has to return back on monday it really is a stressful situation never far in the back of your mind are you thinking what if , are you ...

situation here in turkey has seen an unforeseen spike in cases since last weekend another lockdown is imminent..
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 12:17:51 PM by weather34 »