Author Topic: Webcam FTP server status  (Read 17099 times)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Webcam FTP server status
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2019, 05:44:34 PM »
Great job Weather Underground! Thank you for continuing to keep us informed of the great progress.

To mitigate the influx of new users here that just keep rehashing the same issues over and over because they don't read before posting, I think it would help everyone if we had a road map master view. Sort of like your Trello but better managed and maintained. Then everyone could see high priority issues that are being worked on or next up to bat order of issues and then details of progress. Then even less impact issues could also be viewed. I'm sure you have to have some kind of organization for this internally already. Perhaps this is duplication of effort and management of such tools may not seem worth it. But not only would this cut down on the repetitive requests for help but it would also more clearly show that work is being done and that things are getting checked off that list. This progress of completed items should also remain view-able as this would present a better picture for those nay-sayers that do nothing but cast a bad light on themselves and your efforts. I think a lot of nay-sayers are currently eating crow but there are still some out there.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline WunderTodd (PWS PM)

• Here to listen
    • Weather Underground
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2019, 05:58:44 PM »
Great job Weather Underground! Thank you for continuing to keep us informed of the great progress.

To mitigate the influx of new users here that just keep rehashing the same issues over and over because they don't read before posting, I think it would help everyone if we had a road map master view. Sort of like your Trello but better managed and maintained. Then everyone could see high priority issues that are being worked on or next up to bat order of issues and then details of progress. Then even less impact issues could also be viewed. I'm sure you have to have some kind of organization for this internally already. Perhaps this is duplication of effort and management of such tools may not seem worth it. But not only would this cut down on the repetitive requests for help but it would also more clearly show that work is being done and that things are getting checked off that list. This progress of completed items should also remain view-able as this would present a better picture for those nay-sayers that do nothing but cast a bad light on themselves and your efforts. I think a lot of nay-sayers are currently eating crow but there are still some out there.

Nice ideas, thanks for suggestions.  External roadmapping isn't something we have the bandwidth for.  One of the reasons we closed the megathread, made a stickied thread noting this, and asked for individual threads for discussion was to make it easier for us to spend our 'free' time helping out here.

This wxforum community is great and we appreciate the seasoned people who shepherd the new folks along.

Speaking of, this thread is for Webcam/FTP issues.  Let's keep it on topic please.

--WuT

« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 06:01:32 PM by WunderTodd (PWS PM) »

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2019, 07:31:04 PM »
Any updates on the FTP server?
If it's not a Boerboel it's just a dog.

Offline WunderTodd (PWS PM)

• Here to listen
    • Weather Underground
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2019, 07:42:39 PM »
Any updates on the FTP server?

Please see the response from wunderground-pws about 3 posts before yours.

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2019, 08:15:49 PM »
Sorry, I was out most of the day and missed that one.

Offline BustedFlush

« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2019, 07:51:46 PM »

But there is nothing about this on the WebCam setup page. I've spent many hours trying to get FTP working this week. I finally deleted my account and signed up with a brand new one just to try to fix this.

Disable the feature, put a note up - something! Very frustrating. I only found this thread searching for some reason my brand new account still couldn't connect to the FTP server.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2019, 10:03:54 PM »

But there is nothing about this on the WebCam setup page. I've spent many hours trying to get FTP working this week. I finally deleted my account and signed up with a brand new one just to try to fix this.

Disable the feature, put a note up - something! Very frustrating. I only found this thread searching for some reason my brand new account still couldn't connect to the FTP server.

I hear your frustration. I totally agree with your request to be informed via the WU website and I've suggested it myself. As I've suggested that they have a systems status page with issue tracking and feature fix road mapping and resolution tracking. They responded (here in this forum) that it sounds like a great idea but that they just do not have the manpower to provide information in this manner. Same reason they can't answer the flood of emails they get. The fact that some WU employees even step in this forum is something that they have said they do on their own time.

Realize that WU needs us because they need our data. But we are not the customer, we are the product. Follow the money. The customer is the companies and organizations that buy the data. Even if you pay to remove ads (for those that don't have a weather station) you are still not the customer, you are just providing enough revenue to keep the services running same as the ads do. So that is just to cover running costs. You pay to remove ads and that's your only benefit, you aren't entitled to any other special services because of it.

That said WU does care about us and they listen to us through this forum. It is just that their resources are limited and one just needs to realize that things are not going to resolve themselves quickly because of all I've said...we are not the customer, hence the importance of our happiness is commensurate to what is required to keep things moving and their real customers happy and only incurring expenses that keep investors and shareholders happy. So of course if they totally didn't care about us and there were never improvements made then everyone would leave and stop providing data. It's about balance. So it will never be that they totally abandon our concerns...because they need us. We just need to be kept happy enough. Everyone is different and your level of tolerance for what you feel is right is going to be different, so there will be defectors at different levels of system functionality. That is something they can gauge and see happening. Empty threats don't matter. Trash talking doesn't matter. So I think it best to be patient, try to be part of the solution and offer constructive polite feedback, or just leave. If you are one of the first to leave then you really don't matter and they really don't need you, and you don't understand the dynamics of the service and where you fit in the puzzle. They have over 300,000 stations. When it starts getting really bad and you hear of many many people leaving then and only then does that mean that things must have gotten really really bad and very neglected. We aren't even near that point.

Ask yourself how bad and desperate are you for WU to be working at 100% functionality. And then ask yourself if that is because WU is the only weather service your weather station reports to? If that is the case then realize that there are other people to blame for your bad situation. Other people with this blame are the company that made your weather station. Why don't you demand from them that they add functionality so that you can utilize other weather services. Another part of the blame is for yourself if you didn't invest in the right weather station that lets you expand on the usage of your data. My weather station only provided data uploads to 3 services. But I expanded it (extra hardware and software) and now I report to 12 services plus my own SQL data backup and I could spin up my own hosted website if I wanted as many people do. So don't put your eggs in one basket. Lots of people have a weather station and they don't realize that it is even possible to add hardware and software (3rd party) to expand on your available services. So if you aren't informed and don't know how then read this forum and ask questions. There is plenty of help for that here.

Realize in this message when I say "you" I'm not singling you out....I'm saying "you" in the sense of everyone out there.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 11:47:53 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline BustedFlush

« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2019, 10:28:02 PM »
How hard can it be to make some sort of note on the webcam setup page through?
At some point it has to be causing MORE work.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2019, 10:41:40 PM »
How hard can it be to make some sort of note on the webcam setup page through?
At some point it has to be causing MORE work.

Where do you stop? You have a problem with the webcams. But there are many issues. So if they do it for webcams then does that indicate the wrong message that other features that are also messed up that they are all okay when they really aren't? We have issues with graph precision, graphs rapidfire, temperature precision, rain rate functionality, layout issues, login problems, map location problems, neighborhood name problems, unable to edit/delete bad data, 10 day forecast problems, and on yeah webcams, and I probably forgot a few other things, not to mention many feature that were removed that people want to see added back like data exporting.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 10:44:27 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline BustedFlush

« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2019, 10:50:29 PM »
You stop at FTP webcams. Because I deleted a perfectly good account trying to fix my webcam, totally oblivious to the fact that the problem was not on my end.

The other stuff still sorta works. At least it wouldn't be something I'd delete my account to try to fix.

I hear what you're saying; I get it, they got issues, I'm not the money...but c'mon...<H1>We are currently experiencing an issue with FTP webcam authentication. Please be patient while we work to fix.</H1> Click Save. Done.
Would have saved me a whole lot of time and frustration.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2019, 11:04:30 PM »
Deleting a perfectly working account was not necessary to create and test a new account.
Tele-Pole

Offline BustedFlush

« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2019, 11:07:53 PM »
Maybe not, but can we agree that a notice would be real nice?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2019, 11:13:20 PM »
Yes we can agree on that. As I said I suggested it and they told me no can do.
Tele-Pole

Offline BustedFlush

« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2019, 06:41:26 PM »
Guessing no news is no news?

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2019, 08:28:32 PM »
More like no noose is good noose.

Offline wunderground-PWS

• Contributor
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2019, 02:21:46 PM »
working on webcams, have to do some significant re-engineering

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2019, 03:39:02 PM »
Thank you. We appreciate the update.
Tele-Pole

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2019, 04:44:52 PM »
This noose is bad noose.

Offline Siftah

« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2019, 09:37:15 AM »
Argh, glad I found this thread, couldn't work out why my newly created image upload wasn't working, now I know! :(

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2019, 11:36:07 AM »
I am at the point of just waiting it out.  I invested several years ago in a Bloomsky camera because I thought having a solar power camera that I really don't need to worry about.  It also would work well with my website (I have discontinued it because of cost ).   And for a while Weather Underground would accept the images and things were great.  Then came the big site revision and it hasn't worked since.  I do have  my data going from Weatherlink.com to them just fine, but the webcam isn't connecting.

Bloomsky says to put in the camera ID that WU issues, but it won't do that if you change the name of the product.   I suspect if I changed the name of the camera it should work and it won't.  Oy.

Then I read somewhere that they were working on the problem but couldn't find a workaround.

My thought for me,   Bloomsky isn't able or willing to  use a static name such as "image.jpg"  as every image is time stamped and WU isn't able to capture that.  so....   I am going to wait it out as I stated before.  IF they (either company) works it out fine, if not, fine.   But I see it as a big problem for those who have websites.

Offline crawdad62

« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2019, 02:28:32 PM »
I was like you Aardvark. I used my BloomSky exclusively for the cam. It's quite the coincidence that about the time WU started to make all the changes was the same time my BloomSky stopped working. I decided to just get a dedicated (and cheap) IP camera to use as a weather cam. Ended up with a Foscam that actually very nice. Of course I couldn't get it to work and for the longest time I just assumed I didn't have something right and it needed fixed on my end. Finally put two and two together and found others (most I assume looking at the very sparse cams on the map) were having issues too. At this point I'm just glad I didn't spend much on a new camera that probably will never work with the site. I check ever couple of day but deep down I don't think it's high on their list of priorities.

Offline kodiac.shepard

• PWS
« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2019, 09:25:29 PM »
Looks like it's still down.  Any update on the resolution?

27-May-19 10:36:18 - FTP Exception occurred
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/pi/Documents/Scripts/wunder.py", line 19, in <module>
    ftp.login('XxxxxXxx','Xxxxxxxxxx')
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/ftplib.py", line 419, in login
    resp = self.sendcmd('PASS ' + passwd)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/ftplib.py", line 272, in sendcmd
    return self.getresp()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/ftplib.py", line 245, in getresp
    raise error_perm(resp)
ftplib.error_perm: 530 Login authentication failed

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2019, 10:08:59 PM »
My webcams are working.on WU
One is by URL on station IONTARIO226
The other is Bloomsky on station IONTARIO1189  https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IONTARIO1189

Enjoy,
Paul
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 09:20:22 PM by PaulMy »

Offline BustedFlush

« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2019, 09:09:22 PM »
Any progress? Just checking.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2019, 11:20:30 PM »
My webcams are working.on WU
One is by URL on station IONTARIO226
The other is Bloomsky on station IONTARIO1189  https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IONTARIO1189

Enjoy,
Paul

How get your bloomsky to load on Wu?   I have tried on the bloomsky/wun and it won't take the name of the camera