Author Topic: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi  (Read 111969 times)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi
« Reply #925 on: February 26, 2019, 07:55:25 PM »
Hi Galfert.   It’s a Firmware version 2.08.   Still no updates to Wunderground😩😩

Why not try the latest firmware version? I think 2.13 is the most current.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline gtstricky

• Kennett Weather
« Reply #926 on: February 26, 2019, 08:08:23 PM »
What is your station ID?

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #927 on: February 26, 2019, 08:52:56 PM »
I’ve tried in the password section both my Wunderground password and my 8 character station key with Interval 5 mins and RapidFire 3 secs.    But no matter what I do, Wunderground always says Station Not Reporting.
In my WiFiLogger setting I have my station Id IMIDDLES37 and for Password my 8 character WU key.  That has always worked including my current v.212
Do you have a site where you can send one of the other uploads, i.e. PWS or the FTP export current data realtime.txt to see if those are working?

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline DavZee

« Reply #928 on: February 26, 2019, 11:31:11 PM »
Do you have “mode” set to “enable”?

Offline G0CNG

« Reply #929 on: February 27, 2019, 01:47:59 AM »
Thanks for that. Still not reporting after 14 hours.  Not yet tried uploading to other sites as I only had it yesterday so it’s early days but I alwaready have a Wunderground account and PWS as I’ve used it succcessfully with my old WS1001 clone so seemed the obvious choice to get started with the new Vantage Vue.  Will try these today.   Fingers crossed!

Offline G0CNG

« Reply #930 on: February 27, 2019, 01:49:13 AM »
And yes,  mode is definitely set to Enable. 

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #931 on: February 27, 2019, 06:43:54 AM »
And yes,  mode is definitely set to Enable.

Hi
Sorry for the delay. I didn't received notification.

Could you gives us here screen shot from WiFiLogger's network info page? SETUP| Network Info
Or send me directly to wifilogger@qq.com

Wojtek

Offline G0CNG

« Reply #932 on: February 27, 2019, 07:40:47 AM »
WiFiLogger - still No upload to ANY of the weather sites available on the data logger - Help Please?
Hi Wojtek and the Group.   Having spent all morning so far trying everything under the sun, still no uploads to ANY of the weather sites from my WFL. I think its got to be a setting somewhere that is wrong.   In desperation I'm posting screenshots of all my settings pages in the hope that someone can spot something wrong.    My Firmware in the WFL is 2.08 and my Vantage Vue Console Firmware is Eu 4.33
My WFL is successfully connected to my homeLan with the local IP 192.168.0.20 and I've reserved that in the router for the WFL so it always has this local IP address on the LAN.
I can fully access the WFL web interface from any of my devises on my HomeLAN and the WFL's own AP (192.168.4.1) is disabled.
My Home Lan SSID is GB7MAX.
Also, in General Settings, the NTP clock server is set to pool.ntp.org  but it does not update the console clock.   I'm sure it should do.  Any ideas here please?
Hope someone can help me???  Have got very little hair left now - so frustrated:-(
Chris

« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 07:45:48 AM by G0CNG »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #933 on: February 27, 2019, 08:08:27 AM »
Looks like you have a double NAT situation or two DHCP servers or something else weird. I see 192.168.0.20 and 192.168.4.1. Network is not right.
Tele-Pole

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #934 on: February 27, 2019, 08:30:48 AM »
Looks like you have a double NAT situation or two DHCP servers or something else weird. I see 192.168.0.20 and 192.168.4.1. Network is not right.

Just DNS server is 192.168.4.100 and should be 192.168.0.1.
Then WiFiLogger will know where to send data.
I think it can be router settings problem, or at home Chris can have to routers.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #935 on: February 27, 2019, 08:42:25 AM »
He is also accessing the WiFi logger using address 192.168.4.1. But the Network settings page show that the devices address is 192.168.0.20 and he accesses that page using 192.168.0.20. That doesn't make sense.

Those pages using 192.168.4.1 may be cached pages and not live. Maybe the network changed.  Since he is using DNS server from 192.168.4.100 that device may be routing him incorrectly to 192.168.4.1. Or it looks like a double NAT situation. Maybe even the router is plugged into the wrong port like a LAN port instead of the WAN port.

Modem needs to be put into bridge mode to get rid of double NAT. Then router can do its thing without problems. Ensure that the router is connected to the modem on WAN port. Or maybe the router is configured wrong and is set to hand out 192.168.4.100 as the internal DNS server. I would change the router to hand out 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as the DNS servers.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 08:44:55 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #936 on: February 27, 2019, 08:50:45 AM »
Or maybe this router don't serve DNS

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #937 on: February 27, 2019, 10:37:23 AM »
Router has no options for DNS.
DNS are fixed 192.168.4.100 and 192.168.8.100
I have set 8.8.8.8 and now it's working.

Quite unusually. I think 192.168.4.100 was treated as local network, but with mask 255.255.255.0 WiFiLogger couldn't connect to it.

In this case WiFiLogger has to be with static IP and DNS 8.8.8.8.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #938 on: February 27, 2019, 11:04:51 AM »
Well that seems like a band-aid fix to just force the WiFi logger to use 8.8.8.8 as the DNS server. That network is not right and most likely will cause problems with other devices. I would recommend fixing the network.

• Call ISP company and ask them to put the modem into bridge mode. This will automatically cause network to use the ISP's DNS default servers instead of 192.168.4.100. This gets rid of double NAT.
  • If the router has option to override default network DNS server then set to 8.8.8.8 as primary and 8.8.4.4 as secondary.

Either one of these alone will fix the problem for all devices on the network. But the network will perform better if point 1 is performed. Point 2 is a bonus. It alone will fix the problem too and increase network performance and reliability, but you then still have the double NAT situation. A double NAT situation is undesirable because it causes problems with latency, more complexity when opening ports, possible SSL website issues, VPN tunnel issues...etc.
Tele-Pole

Offline G0CNG

« Reply #939 on: February 27, 2019, 11:37:37 AM »
Id just like to say a huge Thank You to Wojciech for all his help this afternoon in sussing this DNS problem.  Only taken 9 frustrating hours of my life:-(   And the time update appears to be working.
Uploading fine to Weather Underground (station ID = IWALSALL6) at last but having to wait to see if Weatherlink is working.  I'm still not appearing on Weatherlink (Station ID = BLOXWICH1) but according to the Debug I seem to be connecting ok to the weatherlink server but will have to wait the 48 hours or so before data appears so fingers crossed here.
Other sites I will set up next week when I'm happy things are working.
And thanks to everyone else for their comments too.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #940 on: February 27, 2019, 01:10:53 PM »
Id just like to say a huge Thank You to Wojciech for all his help this afternoon in sussing this DNS problem.  Only taken 9 frustrating hours of my life:-(   And the time update appears to be working.
Uploading fine to Weather Underground (station ID = IWALSALL6) at last but having to wait to see if Weatherlink is working.  I'm still not appearing on Weatherlink (Station ID = BLOXWICH1) but according to the Debug I seem to be connecting ok to the weatherlink server but will have to wait the 48 hours or so before data appears so fingers crossed here.
Other sites I will set up next week when I'm happy things are working.
And thanks to everyone else for their comments too.
If this WeatherLink.com is a new DID, then you have to click on "Activation" button. Data should appear in 1 min.

Please go to SETUP|Weather Station Setup
Scroll page to bottom, choose command from list "CLRLOG" and click "EXECUTE".
It will clear archive memory. You had bad time on console. So you should clear this memory to start proper logging.

WeatherUnderground needs about 30-60 min. for new weather station to start showing it on screen. WeatherLink needs activation.

Offline G0CNG

So sorry for the delay!    Been out today.
However, very pleased to report that Davis WeatherLink is up and running perfectly now too.  Again a HUGE thank you to Wojciech and everyone else for helping me out and getting me up and running.  Just upgraded to the WeatherLink Pro subscription and very impressed with quality of data so far.  My Wunderground Station ID is IWALSALL6 and my WeatherLink Station ID is BLOXWICH1

Offline RFANostalgia

Hi, sorry if asked before - I'm new to this forum and to PWSs

Has anyone had success using the 'new' WiFi logger with Davis Vantage Vue & a MAC device?  I've seen lots of comments about using PC/Windows, but nowt with iMacs.

Really looking for a  'plug-it-in-and-go' installation, at least for a few months while I learn more.

Tnx.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Hi, sorry if asked before - I'm new to this forum and to PWSs
Has anyone had success using the 'new' WiFi logger with Davis Vantage Vue & a MAC device?  I've seen lots of comments about using PC/Windows, but nowt with iMacs.
Really looking for a  'plug-it-in-and-go' installation, at least for a few months while I learn more.

I don't using MAC, but WiFiLogger is a stand alone device, which work without any computer.
To interact with WFL you need web browser, but this is for setup purpose or optional to check weather data.
If you would like to store logger data to computer. WeatherLink MAC edition is for free from WeatherLink.com and I am 99% sure that will work with WiFiLogger like Windows edition does.
Web browser don't have to be the newest one, but old archive 10 years old browser won't give you full features.
So WiFiLogger should work with PCs, smart TVs, phones, tablets etc.

Offline xmas111

• http://www.johnsweather.com
Yes it should work with that software. See the section in the software manual that says “connecting to a computer across your network”.

In the logger settings you can create the file they discribe in the instructions.

I got the WiFiLogger installed and working.  Communicating to VWS with no problems as far as I can tell.  Pretty straight forward and easy setup thanks to the instruction manual.

But I can't find the instructions to create the file you mentioned.  And I'm not sure where to find the logger settings, I don't see "Logger Settings" any where in the WifiLogger interface.

I'm guessing since everything seems to be working I don't need to worry about the the logger settings or creating the file mentioned?

This is a very nice unit and very happy with it so far. Thank you!

John
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 05:21:13 PM by xmas111 »

Offline twcmaster

• Contributor
Hi, I noticed that firmware 2.14 is available. Is there a place to go to other than reading through this thread to find out when updates are available and what has changed?

Loving my 5 WFL's, thanks!

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk

Is anyone able to answer this from first-hand experience please, maybe if you're using Weathercat**? There's no obvious reason whatsoever why WFL should not work perfectly well with any Mac program that's able to accept data from a WeatherlinkIP logger, for example Weathercat, but it would be good to get some first-hand confirmation.

** I mean passing data directly to a Mac program. Any viewing of standard web-page data that might have originated with WFL should obviously work without problem using Safari, so that's not the question.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 04:37:42 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Herbaldew

Hi, I noticed that firmware 2.14 is available. Is there a place to go to other than reading through this thread to find out when updates are available and what has changed?

Not that I have seen other than at the beginning of this thread which is still showing 2.00 download.

A running changelog would be nice.
VP2+ Wireless - 24 hr FARS via 12v Case Fan Mod

Offline JamesDee64

I was chatting with someone who runs the Weathercloud website , and I was asking him , if it was possible to send data directly to them using my Davis 6162, without having to go through Weatherlink.. And he told me " We can provide them our API documentation if they are interested in sending data to Weathercloud too."
I like the layout of their weather site, and I would love to be able to directly send my data to them , as well as others directly.
Will this be possible at any  time ?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Will this be possible at any  time ?

What do you mean? It's possible now!
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

anything