Author Topic: Barani pro passive shield  (Read 39683 times)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Barani pro passive shield
« Reply #500 on: October 12, 2020, 03:22:21 AM »
Nope, don't see it. What happens to a passive shield during moderate or greater winds in high RH's? Let's say a simple tropical storm, if even that. I guess that would be a skewed temp as well? Unless you group all wind flow, not just aspirated but passive into your reasoning, nope, don't see it.

The only time I will agree to a fan being somewhat influential, in the negative, is if the sensor is directly measuring only the dew point.
It is possible that with a tropical storm could also happen for passive screens, but in that case, it is an atmospheric condition and not a "human mechanical" element that causes.

However, this is not the thread to discuss these things. I guess.
Well, if that's the case, then I much rather have a constant, a fan, that is just that, a constant, consistent flow, not one dictated by the "weather". Kinda the whole idea of a well aspirated shield, you never care about the wind..ever.

As far as "this isn't the thread", sure seems relevant to me.

Offline raffaello.dimartino

• Raffaello - IZ0QWM
    • a Kind of Weather Observing Station
« Reply #501 on: October 12, 2020, 03:55:13 AM »
It is possible that with a tropical storm could also happen for passive screens, but in that case, it is an atmospheric condition and not a "human mechanical" element that causes.

However, this is not the thread to discuss these things. I guess.
Well, if that's the case, then I much rather have a constant, a fan, that is just that, a constant, consistent flow, not one dictated by the "weather". Kinda the whole idea of a well aspirated shield, you never care about the wind..ever.

As far as "this isn't the thread", sure seems relevant to me.

In a thermodynamic system such as that of the very first PBL layer, it is not enough to have the fan always on to say that I have a constant and I am no longer interested in the wind.
I wish it were that simple. The wind carries particles in the air which still affect the temperature.

In my opinion and I repeat, it is just my opinion, we should use the technology to the fullest and since many fans now have PWM that allows you to adjust the speed. I speak for professional sunscreens. The amateur ones do not have this possibility and therefore we will always keep them on, even if we know their characteristics.

We have to "help" the thermometer to better follow the real air temperature.

As a reference we can try to have a thermometer in free air and use the energy balance formula to correct the radiative error. Or, as is done with radiosondes, use two different colored thermometers and calculate the radiative error.

Obviously, never really knowing what the true air temperature is in a complex thermodynamic system, we can never think of having a certain reference even if calculated with physical formulas.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 05:19:40 AM by raffaello.dimartino »

Offline AWL

• Forecaster
    • Ardmore Weather Live
« Reply #502 on: October 12, 2020, 04:08:30 AM »

I speak on the basis of direct experiences and on experiments carried out ad hoc to study this phenomenon.
Studies carried out by research centers.

Never read of this phenomenon and not going to argue the possibility of this happening under certain rare circumstances. Can't see where this would happen even a couple times a year, if that, where I live. Will stick with the fan running 24/7 at my place.

Doug

• Raffaello - IZ0QWM
« Reply #503 on: October 12, 2020, 04:39:48 AM »

Never read of this phenomenon and not going to argue the possibility of this happening under certain rare circumstances. Can't see where this would happen even a couple times a year, if that, where I live. Will stick with the fan running 24/7 at my place.

Doug

I agree with your decision. Only those who are local or know their area well from a meteorological point of view can decide what to do.
Although it is advisable to have both a ventilated and a passive solar screen to be able to notice this type of phenomena.

Raf

Offline Jorginho

I don't like fans too much.
« Reply #504 on: October 12, 2020, 03:15:32 PM »
There are two reasons I don't like fans:
1) What if it stalls? Some  screens like the Davis 24H will get you very high temperatures. I have one of those Davis screens....with a broken fan.
2) Drawing air over the sensor often  means drawing moist over the sensor. More than otherwise would be the case. This means you  are measuring the wetbulb and no  longer the dry (or drier) bulb.

For us it will be difficult to tell what causes what exactly. In order to assess you are not measuring a wetbulb you need to have a drybulb. That will note higher temperature but how can you tell for sure when  the dry bulb  of course cannot be housed in a screen with a fan since you would measure the same. But if you measure in a less ventilated screen, may be you are measuring a higher temp due to radiation error. Let alone getting a calibrated sensor with  certificate (two at least)...

Suffice to say i don't like artificially ventilated screens in MY case since my  weatherstation is 3 miles away in the open and flat countryside northeast of my city. I can't go and check the screen very often  to check if the fan is still working.

So I prefer naturally ventilated screens. As far as I can tell it seems that throrough tests show that the Barani does perform better than other screens. What those thorough tests do lack, as far as I know, is being extensive. I have only  come across comparisons with 2-3 screens. I would love to see how it performs among a group like the famous test done in  Algeria.

Still: the Barani seems to have a lot going for it.

@ Jarle: a few notions.

1) KNMI uses the same screens as the SMHI does. I have one. There are no problems with low angles with or without snow. In a direct comparison with lots of snow and sun for a few weeks in januari (and end of march) 2013 I had the Vaisala and the Davis simultaneously. The Davis went berzerk going to +3,6 C whereas the Vaisala remained at 0 C. Indeed it was a very sunny, bright day aftr -10 C in the morning and -11 C the next morning.

I made this movie (below), which is nice and all but just to give you an indication of the sunny and bright weather and the amount of snow since most pics were in  the fields right next to my weatherstation. The frozen  fog in the movie with the -13,3 C are the wires that protect my station from horses...So the snowcover was always between 10-20 cm from 13-27 january. The max over that period is 0,8 C on one day, another day had 0,4 C and all others remained well below freezing which is important because dry snow is more reflective than wet snow. Also because we had some cms of snow on  every other day the cover was fresh and white for that reason too. A long winded way to tell you that this was a situation with low angles and lots of reflections. But  the Vaisala screen did fine as we would expect from a screen used in  Sweden too.

2) Your notion that the Barani (and the Met21?) are getting youhigher temperatures at low solar angles these days...You live at 59 N so that has to be pretty close to the Northsea. Where I live at 52 degrees. It is wet here with 200+ mm or more in the past mpnth or so. So a bright sunny day with you is probably very similar to one such day here. And such days become moist and foggy once the sun goes down. So it might be that your Davis is indeed measuring the wetbulb and no longer a drybulb. So it will get you lower temperatures but the screen in error could be the artificially  aspirated Davis with the fan drawing moist air over the sensor.

Nothing definitive, just some notions and an interesting discussion I think!

« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 04:37:14 PM by Jorginho »

• Raffaello - IZ0QWM
« Reply #505 on: October 12, 2020, 03:45:46 PM »
I saw it with great pleasure.
I agree with everything you said about artificially ventilated solar shields. It would also be necessary to have an alarm for a broken fan, to be able to replace it immediately.
Even the Apogee, with the fan stopped, has a big mistake if the wind is not sustained.
You can find a graph of this test in my review.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
Re: I don't like fans too much.
« Reply #506 on: October 12, 2020, 05:17:05 PM »
There are two reasons I don't like fans:
1) What if it stalls? Some  screens like the Davis 24H will get you very high temperatures. I have one of those Davis screens....with a broken fan.

2) Drawing air over the sensor often  means drawing moist over the sensor. More than otherwise would be the case. This means you  are measuring the wetbulb and no  longer the dry (or drier) bulb.
1) Hence why those of us that are able and willing use a computer case fan. Mine is rated at 70,000 hours of use. I also have a red LED on the 120vac to 12vdc transformer that sits on top of the shield that tells me it's getting power. I can also simply go outside and hear it sucking air from 40' away.

2) How does a fan cause the air to be more "wet"?? Do you not think that a a passive shield sensor doesn't get "wet" as well? Just because the fan is drawing ambient air across the sensor doesn't make the air more concentrated with water vapor. Nothing a fan does makes the wet vs dry bulb one bit different...certainly not of consequence in PWS land. Fourteen years of aspirated PWS ownership and relentless comparisons make my case as well.

Offline Jorginho

« Reply #507 on: October 12, 2020, 05:50:21 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for your thoughts.

1) Drawing more air over the sensor, according to research, causes the sensor to become wetter. Just what research says.
2) There is more to it: the stronger the fan the more it influences the environment outside your screen, again according  to research. So on still calm days and nights (I think especially nights) it is like you have some local wind blowing  around your station. So a cold night will get less cold and a warm day less warm due to mixing of air, like wind.
3) I swear I tried, but I could not hear the Davis fan in my station 3 miles away. I thought it was my ears but I got in the car and pfoooh: it was broken...Nothing wrong with my ears it seems
4) I know you Americans have  3 holidays ever decade, but we Europeans have 30-40 such days per year (payed by our boss). So we go to places where the fan is not 40 feet away....In other words: how are you going to take care of your fan, in the summer (when  people tend to enjoy a nice trip to sunny beaches etc) when it is most needed.

Now this seems far fetched, but at least I am pretty anal about trying to measure as carefree and accurate as possible. A fan that breaks down a fan that breaks down a calm atmosphere around the screen and/or a fan  that creates a wetbulb is not helping me. But to each their own!

I can tell you that on cold bright nigts the Davis VP2 in my  neighborhood measures higher temperatures than  I do. Now he is 12 km away....But in the same very open  flat countryside. And 2 km to his east is a KNMI Vaisala station and it also gets lower temperatures during the night than he does. In fact that very user is looking into the Barani, I think for that reason.

It might be better to have a screen with solar aspiration. No sun? No aspiration. But the construction of the Davis would block wind big time. So for a VP2 24h aspirated screen it is probably still not an option.

There is no ideal which is nice for curious people like me, who want to see if there is some ideal that is yet to be discovered. The Barani seems like an excellent  effort and it is very  interesting if indeed radiation errors are the cause of Jarle's disappointing results.

Edit: here is the research. Sadly this research was done in the most snowpoor period ever in The Netherlands still some interesting results that to some extend coroborate Jarles findings I just read! After 1995 until 2013 the snowcover was still below the average from 1901-1988, but a lot better than 1991-1995. But still some remarkable differences are noted during those days.

https://projects.knmi.nl/klimatologie/onderzoeksgegevens/homogeen_260/meulenbrandsma2007b.pdf

« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 06:15:43 PM by Jorginho »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #508 on: October 12, 2020, 06:05:13 PM »
1) Drawing more air over the sensor, according to research, causes the sensor to become wetter. Just what research says.
2) There is more to it: the stronger the fan the more it influences the environment outside your screen, again according  to research.

3) I swear I tried, but I could not here the Davis fan in my station 3 miles away. I thought it was my ears but I got in the car and pfoooh: it was broken...Nothing wrong with ears it seems
4)  So we go to places where the fan is not 40 feet away....In other words: how are you going to take care of your fan, in the summer (when  people tend to enjoy a nice trip to sunny beaches etc) when it is most needed.

1/2) Well, I can "research" as well...and have for a looong time.

3/4)  :roll: Sarcasm will get you nowhere.

Tell ya what...you stay passive and I won't.  ;)

Offline Jorginho

« Reply #509 on: October 12, 2020, 06:10:23 PM »
Man don't take it so serious. I was just joking! I really appreciated your input and understand your position very well, but I don't like to use the smileys etcetc. I should not need them when I am (I thought) obviously joking. Sorry that it came across in a wrong way!
It was may way of saying: for me it doesn't work and I understand that for you it does, since i clearly wrote "in MY case". Because I do go on holidays and what happens then? And I already noted I live 3 miles from my station, so what than? Not a problem for you, but a serious problem for me.

I  love to research and read research  and learn, which is why i also visit these fora. Again: sorry I wasn't clear I for not being serious and teasing you a bit.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #510 on: October 12, 2020, 06:20:44 PM »
Again: sorry I wasn't clear I for not being serious and teasing you a bit.
No worries. I DO take my PWS seriously, probably more so than most. I don't think of it as a mere hobby. I was blessed/cursed with being a perfectionist, and my PWS is just one my foibles.

Besides, the wink was just that... I see your way, I see mine.  ;)

Offline Jorginho

« Reply #511 on: October 12, 2020, 06:27:06 PM »
Fine. I am not a perfectionist per se, only when it comes to astronomy and meteorology and apparantly renovating a house...I also want to test and try myself and see what I can do. Also when it comes to these screens I always think: we should do better? I think and think and think that I could do better! But that is not very realistic but it IS worth a try. With 3D printing making your imaginary designs a reality has become a whole lot easier. etc.

I provided a link in my previous messages. May  be it is interesting for you too? Have a good day.

Offline hmderek

• Senior Contributor
    • Meteodrenthe
« Reply #512 on: October 25, 2020, 03:31:57 PM »
So I've noticed that the sensor in the Pro Shield tends to show slightly lower humidity percentages. My only other comparisons are two other SHT31s, not in Pro Shields, which track each other well.

I haven't yet checked the same sensor in a different shield. It may very well just come down to the sensor itself.

Anyone have specific experiences?

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Davis VP2
Davis WeatherLink
Sensirion SHT35
PT100
NTC Thermistors
DS18B20
Apogee Instruments TS-100
Barani Meteoshield Pro
Davis 7714
MetSpec RAD14
Davis AirLink
Wemos D1 Mini micro controllers
https://blog.meteodrenthe.nl
https://meteodrenthe.nl
https://twitter.com/meteodrenthe

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #513 on: October 25, 2020, 05:13:10 PM »
So I've noticed that the sensor in the Pro Shield tends to show slightly lower humidity percentages.
Unless your temps are always the same, using the humidity to compare can be misleading. For a true comparison, use your dew point temp., it is a constant.

Offline Dador

• Jejkowice
« Reply #514 on: October 25, 2020, 05:16:46 PM »
If I can suggest an experiment, connect the T / H sensor from Barani to another transmitter. In my opinion, the voltage may influence the humidity measurements. I once tested it on a Davis Vue that was draining the batteries fast. I connected the ISS to DC power from the power supply after the conversion. Humidity very often reached 100%. It was interesting.

Offline hmderek

• Senior Contributor
    • Meteodrenthe
« Reply #515 on: October 29, 2020, 11:46:20 AM »
If I can suggest an experiment, connect the T / H sensor from Barani to another transmitter. In my opinion, the voltage may influence the humidity measurements. I once tested it on a Davis Vue that was draining the batteries fast. I connected the ISS to DC power from the power supply after the conversion. Humidity very often reached 100%. It was interesting.

I'll try that!
Davis VP2
Davis WeatherLink
Sensirion SHT35
PT100
NTC Thermistors
DS18B20
Barani Meteoshield Pro
Davis 7714
MetSpec RAD14
Davis AirLink

Offline Julius

« Reply #516 on: November 18, 2020, 05:16:27 AM »
1) Hence why those of us that are able and willing use a computer case fan. Mine is rated at 70,000 hours of use. I also have a red LED on the 120vac to 12vdc transformer that sits on top of the shield that tells me it's getting power.
Have you considered (dry) heat coming from the LED, its driver, its transformer, or the fan itself? They're definitely not all cool, not even the Noctuas, and two issues that I have seen with my own eyes;
The lady of the house wanted christmas lights in the garden, when we still only had a small garden, they were a few meters away from my then Weather-Pro sensor-box. Suddenly, in the long-term trend, I noticed higher temps only when the wind blew in the wrong direction, coming from where the transformer was. And a similar deviation I've seen on a dracal sensor that I used in a server-room few years ago where a Noctua ULN fan was below the sensor. I expected it to read cooler temps because of more airflow in general in the area, but instead noticed about 0.5 C higher overall, and not because warm air was driven and mixing in the room, but because the sensor was mounted about 20 cm above one side of the fan itself. Just an FYI..
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 05:19:27 AM by Julius »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #517 on: November 18, 2020, 03:17:53 PM »
1) Hence why those of us that are able and willing use a computer case fan. Mine is rated at 70,000 hours of use. I also have a red LED on the 120vac to 12vdc transformer that sits on top of the shield that tells me it's getting power.
Have you considered (dry) heat coming from the LED, its driver, its transformer, or the fan itself? They're definitely not all cool
That's exactly why the ISS design is such that all those components are above the sensor. Nothing but ambient air is drawn across the sensor inside the sensor chamber as it's pulled in from below.

Offline hmderek

• Senior Contributor
    • Meteodrenthe
« Reply #518 on: December 29, 2020, 10:07:47 AM »
Expecting my second shield in the mail this week. Oh joy. ^_^ Going to set it up with an SHT35 linked to an Arduino board and solar panel.
Davis VP2
Davis WeatherLink
Sensirion SHT35
PT100
NTC Thermistors
DS18B20
Barani Meteoshield Pro
Davis 7714
MetSpec RAD14
Davis AirLink

Offline Julius

« Reply #519 on: January 04, 2021, 05:02:56 AM »
As of now the Barani shield is unfortunately nowhere close to being an alternative to the fan aspirated shield for me.
I forgot to mention that no passive can be a substitute for a forced ventilation one. Especially if the area is often windless and strong sunshine.
Just to add here, we live on a wide open polder area, almost marine (Dutch) climate, the amount of hours without any airflow is negligible, so I've never opted for fan aspirated shields, especially since humidity readings would be skewed from it. I want to chime in to say that the MeteoHelix IoT Pro shield far outperforms all other shields here in the area, even the Stevenson case we have in the same field. The Pressure readings of the MeteoHelix Pro are very accurate, I'm not sure what sensors Barani uses, but they're definitely not overpricing their hardware! Noteworthy is that, just like with brands like Mikrotik (from Latvia), BaraniDesign can build and produce hardware with much lower cost due to the Slovakian tax-system and trade agreements internationally. Much lower than most other EU nations. Income tax and land tenure cost alone are extremely high in, for example, The Netherlands, where I live.

Offline hmderek

• Senior Contributor
    • Meteodrenthe
« Reply #520 on: January 08, 2021, 05:59:54 AM »
I am wondering what to make of this. I've added a second Barani Pro shield a while back and have been waiting for some sunshine to see how the SHT35 sensor I've added to it fares compared to the Davis SHT31's in my other Barani shield and the default Davis shield.

See below. I note that when the sun comes out, the new SHT35 jumps a few tenths compared to the two SHT31's. As I'm writing this, solar radiation is stable and the SHT35 remains 2-3 tenths higher. Normally, the three sensors are within 1-tenth.

Question: could this be related to the placement of the sensor inside the shield? The probe is fairly short, and I have not yet extended it like I've done with the SHT31. So it's pretty much located all the way at the bottom of the shield.

Davis VP2
Davis WeatherLink
Sensirion SHT35
PT100
NTC Thermistors
DS18B20
Barani Meteoshield Pro
Davis 7714
MetSpec RAD14
Davis AirLink

Offline Julius

« Reply #521 on: January 08, 2021, 06:28:52 AM »
I've added a second Barani Pro shield a while back and have been waiting for some sunshine to see how the SHT35 sensor I've added to it fares compared to the Davis SHT31's in my other Barani shield and the default Davis shield.

See below. I note that when the sun comes out, the new SHT35 jumps a few tenths compared to the two SHT31's. As I'm writing this, solar radiation is stable and the SHT35 remains 2-3 tenths higher. Normally, the three sensors are within 1-tenth.

Question: could this be related to the placement of the sensor inside the shield? The probe is fairly short, and I have not yet extended it like I've done with the SHT31. So it's pretty much located all the way at the bottom of the shield.
So you've replaced the barani sensor with an SHT35 ? And it is lower in the shield than where barani put theirs? I would assume a difference in where it is located inside the shield, no doubt. Less airflow in the bottom end could be logical, I would assume it's best exactly in the middle.

Offline hmderek

• Senior Contributor
    • Meteodrenthe
« Reply #522 on: January 08, 2021, 07:14:09 AM »
I've added a second Barani Pro shield a while back and have been waiting for some sunshine to see how the SHT35 sensor I've added to it fares compared to the Davis SHT31's in my other Barani shield and the default Davis shield.

So you've replaced the barani sensor with an SHT35 ? And it is lower in the shield than where barani put theirs? I would assume a difference in where it is located inside the shield, no doubt. Less airflow in the bottom end could be logical, I would assume it's best exactly in the middle.

No, my first Barani shield has a Davis SHT31 with some slight modifications to fit inside the shield, as copied from examples earlier in this topic. It's located more in the middle as you say, as I've used some pvc tubing to get it into place. This sensor has given me great results during the summer compared to the standard shield and the 7714 shield.

My assumption is that adding the SHT35 probe (https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/4001220756351.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.70234c4dEBTHiQ) will see the same results in a second Barani shield I added. All sensors, incuding the SHT35 track each other very well most of the time. The only thing I can think of is that the placement is not great. So I'll be moving it to see if that has the desired effect.
Davis VP2
Davis WeatherLink
Sensirion SHT35
PT100
NTC Thermistors
DS18B20
Barani Meteoshield Pro
Davis 7714
MetSpec RAD14
Davis AirLink

Offline ivano

• Senior Contributor
    • http://www.supermeteo.com/stazione/ortelle/
« Reply #523 on: January 08, 2021, 07:23:44 AM »
hi, after many tests with my meteshield pro and sht35 EP sensor, the optimal position for the sht35 probe is this  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
1)3 gw1000 +1 GW2000
2)hp2551
3)ws80
4)ws68
5)2 wh32 EP
6)5 wh31 EP
7)2 meteoschield pro 3° gen
8)1 Fars meteoshield pro 3° gen
9) davis 7714 Black
10)wh40
11)schermo solare RAD-14 Metspec
12)schermo solare RAD-02 Metspec
13)Meteorain 200 compact (Barani)
14)davis ventilato h24
15) Davis vp2 pro ventilata
16) GW1001 ecowitt
17) Wittboy ecowitt
18)schermo solare  Comet system da Cometeo
template http://ortellemeteo.altervista.org/pwsd/
webcam :https://rtsp.me/embed/tRhazi3z/
http://www.supermeteo.com/stazione/ortelle/

Offline hmderek

• Senior Contributor
    • Meteodrenthe
« Reply #524 on: January 08, 2021, 08:13:54 AM »
hi, after many tests with my meteshield pro and sht35 EP sensor, the optimal position for the sht35 probe is this

Thanks for that! What kind of material did you use to extend the length of the probe body?
Davis VP2
Davis WeatherLink
Sensirion SHT35
PT100
NTC Thermistors
DS18B20
Barani Meteoshield Pro
Davis 7714
MetSpec RAD14
Davis AirLink