Author Topic: Help! Alexa's Ambient Weather skill suddenly no longer linking to my PWS...  (Read 405 times)

Offline kalel410

• Ambient WS-1001 Wifi Owner
[UPDATE:]   Fixed!   I was able to get it working.  I noticed that the Google equivalent of the Alexa skill was working, just not the Alexa... so I assumed the Ambient Weather account itself was fine... so something with Alexa.  Every time I've tried re-linking my Ambient Weather to Alexa (and it fails to link), it was when I was attempting at various computers/various web browsers.  And this would not work (still giving the error as the attached screenshot indicates.)  But... I decided to try linking the skill using my cell phone's Alexa app.   And believe it or not... It worked!  I'm back in business, and my alexa is providing me the proper weather from my PWS now.  Must be a problem with Amazon's Alexa website system somehow.  Won't work with their website, but works with their app

[ORIGINAL PROBLEM:]  As a long-time (for years) user of the Alexa skill for Ambient Weather, using it to get the latest stats from my Ambient Weather WS-1001-WIFI Observer system, suddenly, last evening (8/4/22), when I asked my alexa, "alexa, ask ambient weather for the temperature" (or weather, etc.), instead of giving me a full weather  report for my specific station  as it has done for years, alexa now indicated that "the Ambient Weather Skill cannot be reached" (or "Ambient Weather could not be reached.")    I kept trying, and the same thing kept happening.   So, I checked to make sure my weather station was properly reporting to ambientweather.net, and it was, with no issues.  (Also, my PWS is reporting to weatherunderground without issues.)  So, I decided it must be a problem with the actual alexa skill.   In an attempt to test, I unlinked my Ambient Weather weather station from the alexa skill.  I then tried re-linking my weather station to the ambient weather alexa skill. But now, that fails, as now, each time I try re-linking the ambient weather skill (which requires me to log into ambientweather.net, which I do), the amazon alexa skill's web page reports back:  "We were unable to link Ambient Weather at this time.  Please try again later."  I've attached a screenshot showing this.  It's been doing that since last night.   It's still doing that today each time I try re-linking the alexa skill to my ambient weather account.   Anyone else experiencing this issue?

I tried from different browsers, different computers, etc. And, my account on the ambient weather website does show the API key is still in my profile.

And because the ambient weather skill is no longer linked to my ambient weather account (because it won't allow me to re-link now), if I now ask alexa, "alexa, ask ambient weather for the weather" (or "temperature" or whatever), it no longer replies with "Ambient Weather cannot be reached", but instead, it just gives a generic weather report for the general area.  So something is broken somewhere.   As I mentioned, my weatherstation is happily reporting data to ambientweather.net (as I can see my updated weather on the ambient weather website), so the problem has to be somewhere between Amazon (the ambient weather skill) and ambient weather's site, in terms of alexa's skill being able to see my ambient weather account.

Again, this all came on last night (alexa no longer seeing being able to see my Ambient Weather station and not being able to re-link my ambient weather account to the alexa ambient weather skill.)   And note, others of my alexa skills are working just fine, just not the Ambient Weather skill.  Anyone else with this problem?  Any idea what's going on?  Any kind of work-around?  I love having this skill available, as I use it quote a bit.  So, I'm hoping it's just a temporary outage.   Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 11:00:06 AM by kalel410 »

Offline kalel410

As you can see from the UPDATE I added to the original post, the issue is resolved, and you can see what I did to resolve it.

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
Glad you got it figured out and are back in business! I have found several Alexa features and skills that only work from or can be configured with the Alexa phone app but not with the Alexa website dashboard.
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline kalel410

Thanks alanb.  It's still a mystery why the skill started failing last night (which prompted me to unlink, then re-link the alexa ambient weather skill, which itself, failed.)  I'm wondering if anyone else noticed the skill outage last night.

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
I used the Alexa skill with my WS-2000 last night about 9 pm (Central time zone). It was working at that time for me.
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline kalel410

alanb, interesting.  I have no idea what happened then, why it was working for you, but stopped working for me.  I just got off the phone with Ambient Weather to tell them about the linking problem, my observations, and the fix for me (app vs. website for linking), and also to tell them we lost connection altogether to Ambient Weather from the alexa skill last night.  So, they are at least now aware what happened to me.  Unfortunately, I had written to them at their support email address twice earlier this morning, once to explain the problem, and then later, how I solved it at my end.  But, when I spoke to them just now, they couldn't find those incoming emails at all.    Not sure if they're delayed or what (but they never bounced back.)  I did send them to their support@AmbientWeather.com address.   (At least I know I can call them, if need be.)  Anyway, alanb, thanks for letting me know that you didn't have the issue.  My issue began probably between 9pm and 10pm East Coast time.  -Kal