Author Topic: What computer do you use with your weatherlink to enable it to keep updated ???  (Read 718 times)

Offline collectors

Hi, i'm asking: What computer do you use with your weatherlink as i assume my laptop has to be left on for info to get up to Weatherlink. Is there an alternative to this as i am not keen on leaving my laptop running just so weatherlink can update.
What's an alternative ???

Thanks

Chris "Newbie"
Chris from Fair Green, Norfolk, UK

Offline gand

• Lynghuzed
Hi

Uploading to WL form Meteobridge

Gert
http://test.lynghuzed.dk

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Many alternatives.

WLL
Meteobridge (with USB logger or WLL)
Meteobridge Pro
Meteobridge NANO
WiFiLogger 2
USB Logger or WLL or MeteoPi with a Raspberry Pi and various software (Cumulus, Weather-Display, WeeWx)

(did not mention IP Logger because it is no longer available and has pretty much been replaced by WLL)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 07:33:59 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline collectors

Hi, i appreciate the ideas, but i am on a bit of a budget & have seen the prices for using Metrobridge, ouch!. I see there are quite a few mini solid state computers with window 10 for under £100/$125, so is there any advantages with Metrobridge that i am missing.

Thanks

Chris
Chris from Fair Green, Norfolk, UK

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Hi, i appreciate the ideas, but i am on a bit of a budget & have seen the prices for using Metrobridge, ouch!. I see there are quite a few mini solid state computers with window 10 for under £100/$125, so is there any advantages with Metrobridge that i am missing.

WiFi Logger is obviously a significantly cheaper option. If all you want to do is to upload to weatherlink.com then the only disadvantage of a cheap Win10 computer is the obvious one  - ie you still have a separate computer to maintain and check on, eg it will still probably be running Win10 updates from time to time.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Meteobridge or WiFiLogger or any of the other software that can even run on a Raspberry Pi (Cumulus, Weather-Display, WeeWx) allow you to do so much more with your weather station because the data can be sent to more places. Running any of this on your regular computer is just unreliable and impractical. You get to enjoy your data and analyze it in many more ways.

Probably the most economical solution is a WiFiLogger 2.

But with any solution you choose be sure to learn what each can and can't do and what services are and aren't supported.

Benefits to using added hardware/software (varies by choice of hardware/software) ....

Online Weather Services:
Weather Underground (with rapidfire live updates of a few seconds)
CWOP
PWSweather
AWEKAS
WeatherCloud
Windy
MetOffice WOW
WindGuru
MeteoMap.cloud
Openweathermap
....and many more

Personal Website
Use various templates that you can use as is or modify to run your own website.
Some of these are Saratoga-Weather, Meteotemplate, Leuven, HWS, Weather34, and more

Local Database
Save your data to SQL database for backup or for future software use as you can use it as input source. Even for software that doesn't yet exist!

Many more features
Set up custom alerts and integrations, smart home stuff etc.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 10:46:48 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole