Author Topic: WU App Not Updating Automatically/Properly  (Read 6067 times)

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
  • AcuRite Atlas (wind ext. & lightning detector)
WU App Not Updating Automatically/Properly
« on: May 21, 2019, 07:00:50 PM »
I just got a new phone (Samsung Galaxy J7 Star) over the weekend and ever since I installed the WU app, it does not update as I have it set to. In the settings for the widget, I selected the setting to update upon device unlock. It does not update at all unless I manually update it and the temperature in the task bar is not in sync with what the widget says. Also, the location does not update unless I update it manually. Simply put, it does not update at all automatically as I have it set to do so. Mind you that my previous phone (Samsung Galaxy J7) updated automatically for the WU app. I am curious if anyone else has had issues with the app not updating automatically for android and any suggestions. It could very well be that WU needs to do an update for the app for the very latest android software version.

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
Re: WU App Not Updating Automatically/Properly
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 06:32:29 PM »
The new android WU app update did not fix the updating issue myself and my wife have been experiencing. My wife's widget still says May 10th and it is May 30th. The widget updates intermittenly when you manually go into the widget. I described above what the android app has been doing before this update and no improvement. Has anyone else been experiencing this updating behavior with the android app or have suggestions. I have already uninstalled and reinstalled the app several times and no improvement. Thank you.

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Alaska, The Last American Frontier
  • Forecaster
  • Living in the "Last American Frontier"
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 07:29:24 PM »
There are issues with the various Android versions. I am using 7.1.1 without issues on an inexpensive Motorola 4 play.

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 07:58:34 PM »
There are issues with the various Android versions. I am using 7.1.1 without issues on an inexpensive Motorola 4 play.

My phone is using Android version 8.0.0 and I have a Samsung Galaxy J7 Star (2018 year). Hopefully  the next update it's resolved. My old phone never had an updating issue with WU. They probably did not include the latest Android version in the last update to be fully functional/compatible for some reason?

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Alaska, The Last American Frontier
  • Forecaster
  • Living in the "Last American Frontier"
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 08:14:21 PM »
It seams that all the different Android versions have there own update schedule. 

Offline farcus

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 08:46:16 PM »
I just got a new phone (Samsung Galaxy J7 Star) over the weekend and ever since I installed the WU app, it does not update as I have it set to. In the settings for the widget, I selected the setting to update upon device unlock. It does not update at all unless I manually update it and the temperature in the task bar is not in sync with what the widget says. Also, the location does not update unless I update it manually. Simply put, it does not update at all automatically as I have it set to do so. Mind you that my previous phone (Samsung Galaxy J7) updated automatically for the WU app. I am curious if anyone else has had issues with the app not updating automatically for android and any suggestions. It could very well be that WU needs to do an update for the app for the very latest android software version.

android 9 - widget set to update hourly - but only updates on phone unlock :-D

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 08:49:44 PM »

android 9 - widget set to update hourly - but only updates on phone unlock :-D

So yours doesn't update for what you set it to. It seems like they aren't keeping up with the Android versions coming out.

Offline jcookjr82

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 05:25:01 PM »
This has been going on for a couple of months. I have might set to update upon screen unlock, but it does not. I tried every 30 minutes, but that does not work either. I have a Galaxy S10+.
Davis Vantage Vue (Brentwood, CA KCABRENT8 and Arnold, CA KCAARNOL99)
Davis Vantage Pro2 (Lakehead, CA KCALAKEH52)
LaCrosse 2813 (retired 1/17/2018)

Offline Pags4272

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2019, 09:28:16 PM »
This has been going on for a couple of months. I have might set to update upon screen unlock, but it does not. I tried every 30 minutes, but that does not work either. I have a Galaxy S10+.

I've been having the same exact issue. Galaxy S10+. I also installed dark sky since getting this phone. I wonder if that is conflicting. Had an S7 edge for 3 years and it always updated upon screen unlock but didn't have dark sky on that one. Really is starting to annoy me though since I like to have my PWS widget on my phone.
<object width="290" height="130"><param name="movie" value="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_mini_rf_nc.swf?station=KNYPOMON8&freq=&units=english&lang=EN" /><embed src="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_mini_rf_nc.swf?station=KNYPOMON8&freq=&units=english&lang=EN" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="290" height="130" /></object>

Offline jcookjr82

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2019, 12:47:24 PM »

I've been having the same exact issue. Galaxy S10+. I also installed dark sky since getting this phone. I wonder if that is conflicting. Had an S7 edge for 3 years and it always updated upon screen unlock but didn't have dark sky on that one. Really is starting to annoy me though since I like to have my PWS widget on my phone.
It was working with my S10+ for about a month, but I think around mid-April is when it stopped. Must have been an app update, but it pisses me off. The fact that I have to manually refresh instead of an auto-update ever screen unlock is annoying. I really hope it gets fixed. I have checked my settings and do not see anything out of the ordinary.

Offline jcookjr82

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 05:32:46 PM »
The recent update did not address this issue.  :-(

Offline bvstation

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2019, 03:47:30 PM »
I've contacted and had replies from one girl from weather underground a few times thus far or weather channel support but it seems they keep ignoring just fixing MY station. I mean I've provided screenshots and data showing its not showing up on the android app with the proper name or hardly at all unless I narrow to click on it. My Station has been going longer than any other in my city which is a total of 2...count them TWO stations! The other station that went up a few months ago is no where near accurate. I want mine to show up on the widget and be the first or main one that users find when they search my city. I'm dead center to the city as well not on the edge like the other.
Either way I want it fixed and to be able to manually select it...but it keeps falling on deaf ears.