General Weather/Earth Sciences Topics > Earth Sciences

5.8 quake in Cayman Islands

(1/4) > >>

SlowModem:
south of cuba, west of jamaica

map

WeatherHost:
Remote aftershock on the same fault?  Or something different?

SlowModem:

--- Quote from: WeatherHost on January 19, 2010, 09:59:15 AM ---Remote aftershock on the same fault?  Or something different?
--- End quote ---

They're saying it's a different fault, but it's at the same depth (10km).  They're not sure if it's the same plate or not.  I'm sure it's kind of related, because if you push on one place, it's  gonna affect somewhere else close.

WeatherHost:
How does that play out with Guatemala a few days ago?

mackbig:
I was in Aruba during the Haiti quake.  The next morning around the pool/beach people talking about an 4.? aftershock that hit the island around 4am.  I admit something woke us up that night, cant recall what time but thought it was closer to 3am, I dont know what it was, not sure about shaking, but enough to wake us both up at same time. Assumed it was just one of those occasionally unexplained hotel type noises.

This "ireporter" claims it was "confermed" but I have not been able to verify anywhere...
http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-381561

Next day, nothing on USGS site.  but I dont know how far out their "within the United States and adjacent areas" 2.5 vs 4.5 magnitude tolerance for rest of world extends out.

norther Venezuela did have a 5.6 on Jan 15th

Andrew

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version