Weather Related Organizations > PWSweather / AerisWeather / WeatherForYou

Is sky cover information used by PWSWeather?

<< < (2/3) > >>

noctilucent:

--- Quote from: chrispyt2 on February 17, 2021, 09:19:45 PM ---My Davis Vantage Pro has been showing sky cover on my dashboard since I started uploading to pwsweather. It does not calculate sky cover, but pwsweather is using my humidity data to display sky cover. Not a very accurate metric, but it looks to be limited to Davis stations.
--- End quote ---

I'm feeding from a Davis and not getting any indication of sky cover.  Wherever it's getting this from it's not the weather station.

Having said that, and in response to @CW2274's comment, there are ways to submit sky cover data using e.g. a ceilometer or, more rudimentarily, a webcam and some image processing.  So the issue isn't really what to feed it from, it's how to communicate it to PWSWeather.

CW2274:

--- Quote from: noctilucent on February 18, 2021, 04:00:01 AM ---
--- Quote from: chrispyt2 on February 17, 2021, 09:19:45 PM ---My Davis Vantage Pro has been showing sky cover on my dashboard since I started uploading to pwsweather. It does not calculate sky cover, but pwsweather is using my humidity data to display sky cover. Not a very accurate metric, but it looks to be limited to Davis stations.
--- End quote ---
Having said that, and in response to @CW2274's comment, there are ways to submit sky cover data using e.g. a ceilometer or, more rudimentarily, a webcam and some image processing. 

--- End quote ---
My comment of sky cover was in regard to automation that an ASOS, or like, can provide. A PWS can not.

noctilucent:

--- Quote from: CW2274 on February 18, 2021, 04:14:36 AM ---My comment of sky cover was in regard to automation that an ASOS, or like, can provide. A PWS can not.

--- End quote ---

Challenge accepted.  Hold my beer...

CW2274:

--- Quote from: noctilucent on February 18, 2021, 04:17:59 AM ---
--- Quote from: CW2274 on February 18, 2021, 04:14:36 AM ---My comment of sky cover was in regard to automation that an ASOS, or like, can provide. A PWS can not.

--- End quote ---

Hold my beer...

--- End quote ---
Don't get lost.

bchapman:
This is the response I got from Aeris when I asked them why I wasn't seeing my own data in "Current Conditions" in the AerisPulse app:

Nate Flohrs (AerisWeather Support)
Feb 1, 2021, 9:40 AM CST

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for reaching out to AerisWeather!  For the purposes of providing complete weather data, the Aeris Pulse app is currently designed to only return stations that provide sky coverage information.  In your location, the nearest station that provides those details is several miles away, which is why you are seeing those results. 

If you haven't already, you may want to go to settings > data options and select "All" as the observations source.  This will ensure that the closest station that provides sky data will be utilized. 

There is an alternative solution that may help you access the data coming specifically from your station.  Because you are a PWS contributor, you are eligible for the contributor plan from AerisWeather.  It allows you to access weather data through our API for no cost while your station is sending information to our servers.  You can find more details here. 

Hopefully that helps to explain the behavior you are seeing!  If you have any additional questions, please let me know. 
Thanks,
Nate
AerisWeather Support Team
https://support.aerisweather.com

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version