Author Topic: Davis Weather Station Repair/Refurb Information  (Read 100417 times)

Offline dsscheibe

• Scott's Weather Station Cactus Wren, Phoenix, AZ
Re: Davis Weather Station Repair/Refurb Information
« Reply #175 on: January 08, 2018, 04:52:25 AM »
Put my weather station back up after moving 7 years ago..  Everything is working except the wind direction always says north.  Does anyone know the wire colors for the anemometer? Specifically the wires for direction, hopefully it is a wiring issue. Also amazed the website still knows me, been a long time and I've only had this laptop for a year.

It has been updated with a new rain cone with bird wires and the base was sent back to Davis for the barometer calibration because it drifted over a few days time. Was always getting complaints about it from CWOP.
Scott
Davis Pro2 Plus daytime aspirated, wired
Weather Display

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #176 on: January 08, 2018, 05:15:59 AM »
Put my weather station back up after moving 7 years ago..  Everything is working except the wind direction always says north.  Does anyone know the wire colors for the anemometer? Specifically the wires for direction, hopefully it is a wiring issue. Also amazed the website still knows me, been a long time and I've only had this laptop for a year.

It has been updated with a new rain cone with bird wires and the base was sent back to Davis for the barometer calibration because it drifted over a few days time. Was always getting complaints about it from CWOP.
From this diagram http://www.sloweather.com/blog/2011/110912WMIIjbox.png
it appears green is the direction, red is the ground.

Offline dsscheibe

« Reply #177 on: January 08, 2018, 05:27:52 AM »

From this diagram http://www.sloweather.com/blog/2011/110912WMIIjbox.png
[/quote]

Thank you, much appeciated
Scott
Weather Display

Offline archae86

• Senior Contributor
    • LynxStoll weather
UV sensor advanced replacement
« Reply #178 on: January 10, 2018, 06:25:45 PM »
I purchased and installed a Davis Vantage Pro2 system in May 2011, then added solar and UV sensors by separate purchase in January 2012.

When I occasionally look at nearby stations reporting UV to Weather Underground, I notice rather wide discrepancies on cloudless days, suggesting that the sensors/reporting stations are not operating equivalently.  More recently I noticed (with the aid of a neighbor who looks at my UV graph daily in order to control his intentional sun exposure) that my system UV sensitivity had declined substantially.  We used historic comparison using cloudless (as readily observed from the shape of the solar curve) days at the same time of year across the years in service, and also cross-checking with the EPA forecast for my position.  As I use Cumulus to generate both my Wunderground report and my personal web page, I used the facility in Cumulus to activate a multiplier of 1.40 last June.  But I consider this not highly accurate, and suspected that whatever had degraded would continue to degrade.

While Davis suggests frequent calibration for stations desiring high accuracy, I did not pursue that option not wishing for my reporting of UV to be out of service for weeks, and wondering what the calibration price might be.  At Christmastime I hit on the idea of buying a new sensor, swapping it for the degraded one, then sending the degraded one to Davis for calibration/refurbishment.  I contacted Davis support by email inquiring as to the proper procedure and the price.  They replied a couple of days ago, advising that I contact them by phone to initiate things, and, more importantly, suggesting that I request "advanced replacement".  In my case this means I gave them my credit card number, they are sending me a previous customer's refurbished sensor.  I'll swap the sensors, then ship back my degraded sensor in the package used.

They did ask how old my sensor was before setting this up.  Possibly that affected the price.  In any case the price I have paid is about a quarter of a good price for a new sensor.  So my initial out-of-pocket expense is a fifth of what my original plan contemplated.

Regarding exposure and cleaning.  I live in Albuquerque, NM, so my sensor sees more UV and more general sunshine than is probably typical.  While in many respects our air is unusually clean, it is possible we have some undesirable content in our dust or air which perhaps may accelerate UV sensor degradation (my solar sensor had degraded little if any).  Very roughly once per year I have cleaned both the solar and the UV sensors, always using Everclear, as I have believed it strongly equivalent to the prescribed methanol.  However, recently I have read (here, I think) that some customer was specifically advised against Everclear by a Davis support rep.  While I am not at all sure that was good advice, I did again seek ethanol for sale to a non-institutional buyer, and found an eBay seller selling from a far place.  I'm not confident that product will be in fact superior to EverClear for this purpose, but I'll be adhering to the letter of Davis prescribed maintenance.

I don't know whether the "advanced replacement" option is available on other components of Davis weather hardware (or on whole systems), but if, as I was, you are troubled by the idea of a long in-service gap, perhaps you might inquire when you call Davis support.

Offline dsscheibe

« Reply #179 on: January 12, 2018, 08:11:32 PM »

[/quote]From this diagram http://www.sloweather.com/blog/2011/110912WMIIjbox.png
[/quote]

Actually the yellow Wire had broken off at the insulation at a splice, fixing that restored the direction. But now I will have to wait until I am home in the day and drop the 120" pole mounted on my chimney down so I can calibrate the direction, it said north before and I thought it was all set but it is almost 180 off...
Scott
Weather Display

Offline dsscheibe

Re: UV sensor advanced replacement
« Reply #180 on: January 12, 2018, 08:23:48 PM »

While Davis suggests frequent calibration for stations desiring high accuracy, I did not pursue that option not wishing for my reporting of UV to be out of service for weeks, and wondering what the calibration price might be. 
I don't know whether the "advanced replacement" option is available on other components of Davis weather hardware (or on whole systems), but if, as I was, you are troubled by the idea of a long in-service gap, perhaps you might inquire when you call Davis support.

They are much more helpful on the phone than their website is.  Parts don't show as available for older models on the website, I could not find my wire to connect the station to the base when I put it back up . I have a Davis Pro, recently updated the rain cone with one that is funnel shaped with bird wires. It is taller so the directions recommended moving the solar sensors to the front of the station which in my case is the south side which made sense.  I did download a bunch of pdf's from their site which gave me the information about the update rain cone. While my station was down I sent the base in to have the barometer certified calibrated as CWOP was always complaining it was not accurate, would drift over a week and I'd have to reset it. As I recall it took well over a month to get it back. I was not ready to put the station back up at the time so it was not a big deal to me.
Scott
Weather Display

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
Re: UV sensor advanced replacement
« Reply #181 on: January 12, 2018, 08:30:34 PM »

While Davis suggests frequent calibration for stations desiring high accuracy, I did not pursue that option not wishing for my reporting of UV to be out of service for weeks, and wondering what the calibration price might be. 

They are much more helpful on the phone than their website is.  Parts don't show as available for older models on the website, I could not find my wire to connect the station to the base when I put it back up . I have a Davis Pro, recently updated the rain cone with one that is funnel shaped with bird wires. It is taller so the directions recommended moving the solar sensors to the front of the station which in my case is the south side which made sense.  I did download a bunch of pdf's from their site which gave me the information about the update rain cone. While my station was down I sent the base in to have the barometer certified calibrated as CWOP was always complaining it was not accurate, would drift over a week and I'd have to reset it. As I recall it took well over a month to get it back. I was not ready to put the station back up at the time so it was not a big deal to me.

The barometer in the VP2 is in the station console not in the ISS that is outside. When you stated you sent the “base” in for calibration, I assume you sent in the console, not the ISS, correct?

Yes, Davis telephone support is pretty good and they don’t charge for advice on the phone for products out of warranty, like a lot of companies do.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 08:32:42 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #182 on: January 12, 2018, 08:45:22 PM »
But now I will have to wait until I am home in the day and drop the 120" pole mounted on my chimney down so I can calibrate the direction, it said north before and I thought it was all set but it is almost 180 off...

No, no, no. You can calibrate the direction from the console itself, absolutely no reason to go onto the roof.

Offline dsscheibe

« Reply #183 on: January 14, 2018, 02:52:37 PM »
But now I will have to wait until I am home in the day and drop the 120" pole mounted on my chimney down so I can calibrate the direction, it said north before and I thought it was all set but it is almost 180 off...

No, no, no. You can calibrate the direction from the console itself, absolutely no reason to go onto the roof.

Not that have ever seen in the settings on my Davis pro 2.  Plan on doing it in a couple hours, I am very careful on the ladder and roof.  Once I do that I'm mounting my bloom sky on the pole too.
Scott
Weather Display

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #184 on: January 14, 2018, 03:39:17 PM »

Not that have ever seen in the settings on my Davis pro 2.  Plan on doing it in a couple hours, I am very careful on the ladder and roof.  Once I do that I'm mounting my bloom sky on the pole too.

From page 27 of the Console Manual.

Calibrate Wind Direction Reading
If the anemometer arm cannot be mounted pointing to true north, use this procedure to correct the wind direction console reading.
1. Check the current direction of the wind vane on the anemometer. Compare it to
the wind direction reading on the console.
2. Press WIND as necessary to display the wind direction in degrees.
3. Press and release 2ND, then press and hold SET.
4. The wind direction variable will begin to blink.
5. Continue holding the key until the CAL message appears in the ticker. The
ticker displays the current wind direction calibration value.
6. Press the < and > keys to select digits in the anemometer’s current reading.
7. Press the + and - keys to add/subtract from the anemometer reading.
8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 until you have entered the offset value from Step 1.
9. Press DONE to exit calibration.

Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline dsscheibe

« Reply #185 on: January 14, 2018, 10:12:40 PM »
Ok, corrected the anemometer and mounted the bloomsky on the pipe
Scott
Weather Display

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #186 on: January 14, 2018, 10:20:29 PM »
Were the Davis instructions (from its console manual that I quoted above) correct to fix your anemometer issue?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 10:44:51 PM by WheatonRon »

Offline LABob

• Forecaster
« Reply #187 on: February 01, 2018, 08:05:45 AM »

For people unaware, the Davis wind vane has a "blind spot" in the north direction. In other words, it can resolve wind direction down to the degree except for between 352° and 8° heading. When the wind vane is pointed anywhere in that 16° gap the value recorded will be one of 355°, 0°, or 5°. This was discussed a couple of years ago in this thread. If it's important to you to capture accurate wind direction from the north, you should orient the anemometer towards the most uncommon wind direction and use the console correction.

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #188 on: February 01, 2018, 04:43:46 PM »

For people unaware, the Davis wind vane has a "blind spot" in the north direction. In other words, it can resolve wind direction down to the degree except for between 352° and 8° heading. When the wind vane is pointed anywhere in that 16° gap the value recorded will be one of 355°, 0°, or 5°. This was discussed a couple of years ago in this thread. If it's important to you to capture accurate wind direction from the north, you should orient the anemometer towards the most uncommon wind direction and use the console correction.
That's kind of curious.  My wind is coming from a northerly direction now, I've been watching for a few minutes and I've seen 354, 356, 357, 359, 0, and 1.  But then, I have an original VP, maybe the "blind spot" is another VP2 improvement.   :-)

I haven't gone through the whole thread you gave, but if I seem to recall where people have found that there were a couple or so discrete degrees that never showed vs. a whole range. 

Anyone else with a northerly wind verify?

My wind is now back to the NW, so I gave up watching.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #189 on: February 01, 2018, 04:55:46 PM »

For people unaware, the Davis wind vane has a "blind spot" in the north direction. In other words, it can resolve wind direction down to the degree except for between 352° and 8° heading. When the wind vane is pointed anywhere in that 16° gap the value recorded will be one of 355°, 0°, or 5°.
Can't say I've seen this. So since my anny is 170 degrees outta wack, you're saying I should only see 165, 170 and 175? I'm not positive, but I don't think so. :???:

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #190 on: February 01, 2018, 06:28:24 PM »
Granted, I have the offset, but one thing's for sure, I just saw 358, 1, and 3 degrees on WL.

Offline LABob

• Forecaster
« Reply #191 on: February 01, 2018, 06:44:57 PM »
Granted, I have the offset, but one thing's for sure, I just saw 358, 1, and 3 degrees on WL.
If you are exactly 170° out of whack, you will never see the following headings in your wind data:

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #192 on: February 01, 2018, 06:51:15 PM »
If you are exactly 170° out of whack, you will never see the following headings in your wind data:

Opps, just looked, 190 out, so I shouldn't see 182-198. I'll certainly keep an eye out.....

Offline LABob

• Forecaster
« Reply #193 on: February 01, 2018, 06:56:34 PM »
Your CWOP data seems like you are in fact 170° out. None of the values in that list appear in your wind data for the last ten days, but 182 and 183 etc. do.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #194 on: February 01, 2018, 07:11:28 PM »
Well, it's not. I just checked and I'm at -190 degrees. As far as CWOP, I use magnetic wind instead of true, not that I care about their "analysis" (Gladstone, at least) anyway. I know what I have.....

Offline LABob

• Forecaster
« Reply #195 on: February 01, 2018, 07:16:08 PM »
Well, it's not. I just checked and I'm at -190 degrees. As far as CWOP, I use magnetic wind instead of true, not that I care about their "analysis" (Gladstone, at least) anyway. I know what I have.....

OK. I was just letting you know that there is no wind data for those headings, but there are for 165, 170, and 175.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #196 on: February 01, 2018, 07:25:11 PM »

OK. I was just letting you know that there is no wind data for those headings, but there are for 165, 170, and 175.
Yes, thanks. As you've peaked my curiosity, I'll be watching.

Offline LABob

• Forecaster
« Reply #197 on: February 01, 2018, 07:29:10 PM »
I was kind of bummed out to learn of it when I first found out too. It's a big "hole" in the sensor's resolution, but just a little more than 2%. I suspect it's the reason for the ±3% spec on wind direction.

Offline capeweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.capeweather.com
« Reply #198 on: July 05, 2018, 08:30:54 PM »
I was quoted on the phone that my VP2 with 24 hour fan was going to cost $140 to refurb + shipping costs ($30). I just received an email that all repairs are completed and it is now going to cost $200 for the refurb plus the additional $30 for shipping. Am I missing something?

Chris
Cape Coral, Florida

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #199 on: July 05, 2018, 09:01:39 PM »
I was quoted on the phone that my VP2 with 24 hour fan was going to cost $140 to refurb + shipping costs ($30). I just received an email that all repairs are completed and it is now going to cost $200 for the refurb plus the additional $30 for shipping. Am I missing something?

The $200 is consistent with at least posts 17 and 42 in this thread. However, contact Brett Lane, the tech supervisor at Davis, and see what he might be able to do.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 10:28:31 PM by WheatonRon »