Author Topic: Realtime Map  (Read 1695 times)

Offline JonathanW

• Engineer
  • Forecaster
Realtime Map
« on: June 04, 2014, 11:55:34 AM »
So, am I correct in my observation that the realtime Blitzortung map here:

http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime?lang=en&bouser

...is the only freely-available, realtime, automatically-updating lightning map for the U.S. on the Internet today?

And even for the paid versions, they're generally not automatically updating in realtime, with delays as little as 5-10 seconds from strike to display?

What about for Europe?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 11:59:28 AM by n0ym »

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
Re: Realtime Map
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 12:02:57 PM »
Hi,

I have looked at Europe also by just moving the map around to there and vice versa.

And yes, to my knowledge, this is the ONLY free near real time lightning map in the U.S. for sure.
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline JonathanW

• Engineer
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 12:08:04 PM »
Hi,

I have looked at Europe also by just moving the map around to there and vice versa.

And yes, to my knowledge, this is the ONLY free near real time lightning map in the U.S. for sure.

Sorry - right :) the realtime map can be moved to Europe, too.  I meant, are there other freely-available realtime lightning maps available for Europe?

I've been posting writeups about the system to try to spark interest in LinkedIn and Facebook ham groups, and the product quality (I mean the lightning data and visualization, though the systems themselves, too) is a real highlight.

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 12:14:38 PM »
Doing a quick Google search, I believe Blitzortung is the only one there, too, but I could be incorrect on that assumption.
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 12:25:16 PM »
I was watching this map light up last night. WOW  :shock:

Where was our friends at TWC getting their "live" lightning data they were displaying last night?
Tony

Offline JonathanW

• Engineer
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 12:27:40 PM »

Where was our friends at TWC getting their "live" lightning data they were displaying last night?

Yeah, it was a great test of my new setup :)

There are commercial networks.  The most prominent is the "National Lightning Detection Network" run by Vaisala.  The last I'd heard, that costs at least $90/month subscription fee PLUS a startup cost.  I'm guessing TWC gets their data from one of the commercial options.

I've done Google searches for other free realtime lightning map options, too, and come up empty.  But I was curious if anyone knew of any.

If it really IS the only one, then I think the Blitzortung folks (and, of course, participants) are not just participating in a great weather/electronics/RF hobby, but they're providing a public service, as well.

More and more impressed.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 12:38:37 PM by n0ym »

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 02:18:50 PM »

There are commercial networks.  The most prominent is the "National Lightning Detection Network" run by Vaisala.  The last I'd heard, that costs at least $90/month subscription fee PLUS a startup cost.  I'm guessing TWC gets their data from one of the commercial options.

I've done Google searches for other free realtime lightning map options, too, and come up empty.  But I was curious if anyone knew of any.

If it really IS the only one, then I think the Blitzortung folks (and, of course, participants) are not just participating in a great weather/electronics/RF hobby, but they're providing a public service, as well.

More and more impressed.
What? More than a hobby?  :twisted:

Offline JonathanW

• Engineer
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 02:19:31 PM »

More and more impressed.
What? More than a hobby?  :twisted:

More than a hobby.  It's a way of life.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 08:54:10 AM »
That is a pretty cool map!
I just tried Blitzortung's Android App and it's no where near as good. The best you can get is 5 minute updates and instead of showing a point where the lightning strike occurred they show a colored coded box with a number in it. The color is for the time  frame. I'm assuming the number is the amount of strikes in the area that box takes up. If so that doesn't make any sense. Why not show the point where the strike occurred?
Using the above web page on my android is definitely the way to go.
One question about that map. Are those strikes CG & CC or just CG?
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline JonathanW

• Engineer
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 09:07:09 AM »
I just tried Blitzortung's Android App and it's no where near as good. The best you can get is 5 minute updates and instead of showing a point where the lightning strike occurred they show a colored coded box with a number in it. The color is for the time  frame. I'm assuming the number is the amount of strikes in the area that box takes up. If so that doesn't make any sense. Why not show the point where the strike occurred?

I believe they're nearly all CG (VLF time of arrival sensors).  As I understand it, geolocating TOA techniques tend to reject CC strikes because of the geographic extent of what gets sensed.

I'm no expert, but from what I've read, a lot of CC sensing is done via interferometric techniques.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 09:18:13 AM by n0ym »

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2014, 09:57:11 AM »
The Android app allows more frequent updates if one is a contributing member of Blitzortung and enters their login credentials into the app. It allows updates down to 20-second intervals, if logged in.

Don
WD9DMP

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2014, 07:57:48 AM »

I believe they're nearly all CG (VLF time of arrival sensors).  As I understand it, geolocating TOA techniques tend to reject CC strikes because of the geographic extent of what gets sensed.

I'm no expert, but from what I've read, a lot of CC sensing is done via interferometric techniques.
Login at Blitzortung, then use this link: http://forum.blitzortung.org/showthread.php?tid=63 Denser network of stations operating with efficient settings, plus a bit of work on the server...  ;)

Offline JonathanW

• Engineer
  • Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2014, 08:08:13 PM »
Here's an effusive (if not entirely technically accurate) writeup on Blitzortung by a weather blogger:

http://thevane.gawker.com/blitzortung-is-one-of-the-best-most-mesmerizing-websit-1589722466

He finds the realtime map "mesmerizing" :)

Interestingly, there are comments about the Weatherbug realtime lightning maps - I checked them out, and BO's free maps can both zoom in closer, and are updated much faster.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 08:14:11 PM by n0ym »