Author Topic: Anyone joined or thought about Cord Cutting?  (Read 10156 times)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: Anyone joined or thought about Cord Cutting?
« Reply #225 on: August 17, 2019, 03:04:10 PM »
I've been on YouTube TV ($49) for about 6 months now. Picture Quality is the best, and virtually no buffering with clean UI making it the best I've found for streaming services that include network TV.

You can have 3 separate streams with streaming devices like Roku or smart Tv.  Being Google and Amazon don't play well together the Amazon Fire devices will not stream YTTV.
Randy

Greg_M

« Reply #226 on: August 17, 2019, 03:58:04 PM »
Moved up to 25 meg now.
It's better.  :grin:

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #227 on: August 17, 2019, 04:22:34 PM »
My ISP recently recently had a free upgrade from 100Mbps to 150Mbps. Nice, but nicer is the speed it always runs at (below). Now to find a way to get my favorite channels, drop Dish (too expensive along with their fight with local CBS that has resulted in CBS pulling everything from Dish locals in Phoenix - the fault of both IMHO), and a way to DVR from my OTA system and other service to be found. Too much to ask?
John
W7JKG

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #228 on: August 17, 2019, 05:00:24 PM »
and a way to DVR from my OTA system and other service to be found. Too much to ask?

That can be as easy as a tuner card or dongle in a PC/notebook.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #229 on: August 17, 2019, 05:11:19 PM »
There are several OTA DVR solutions. This article sums them up nicely.

https://www.groundedreason.com/ota-dvr-without-cable/
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #230 on: August 17, 2019, 05:36:36 PM »
I cord cut way before it was a thing. About 8yrs ago if not longer. I have a DViCo TViX PVR Dual Tuner I bought way before they took them off the market and still going strong.

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #231 on: August 17, 2019, 05:38:44 PM »
and a way to DVR from my OTA system and other service to be found. Too much to ask?

That can be as easy as a tuner card or dongle in a PC/notebook.

Actually would prefer not to have to buy more equipment but looking for an app, whatever, that would cozy up to Roku, Apple TV, or TV Stick.

Thanks.
John
W7JKG

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #232 on: August 17, 2019, 05:40:07 PM »
There are several OTA DVR solutions. This article sums them up nicely.

https://www.groundedreason.com/ota-dvr-without-cable/

Thanks for this.
John
W7JKG

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #233 on: August 17, 2019, 05:41:16 PM »
I cord cut way before it was a thing. About 8yrs ago if not longer. I have a DViCo TViX PVR Dual Tuner I bought way before they took them off the market and still going strong.

Seems the old stuff is almost always the best.
John
W7JKG

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
« Reply #234 on: August 17, 2019, 05:47:10 PM »

Get a cheap OTA converter box or three [$30-60, used to convert the now digital ATSC TV antenna broadcast signals for older TVs without a digital tuner]. And the boxes function as very cheap PVR/DVRs.
The boxes have both an RF sig [ch3-4] coax output, composite/component, and HMDI outputs so you can feed the live HD programming to many displays/devices.

It's my experience that the boxes often upconvert standard-def [480 or even HD720] television broadcasts to HD 1080 quality. Which makes for fantastic viewing of some old movies and TV programs, even the old black&white ones [you have to see it, fantastic def and pic quality on that old stuff, like a 'remaster' job].

Most all of them have a USB port to which you plug in a memstick or HDD/SSD drive [up to TB size], for making recordings, and use the menu to the schedule recordings.
The stick/drives can then also be played/loaded into a PC, or other TVs. The resultant recorded program files ['.ts' and/or MPEGs] can be handled, stored, converted as any other media file-- burn DVDs, smartphone media, or whatever. Using AnyDVD Cloner media conversion software, etc.

Been using them for years [never had a cord to cut anyway].

Like these:
https://www.newegg.com/iview-3500stb/p/N82E16882037001?Description=iview&cm_re=iview-_-82-037-001-_-Product
https://flash.newegg.com/product/9SIAKBJ99S3672
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 05:55:43 PM by Jstx »

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #235 on: August 17, 2019, 08:14:28 PM »
Other then sports which I can usually find on the computer I don't watch anything live. It's all old sitcoms for me.
Just a Fire stick and a program to stream all the old shows. Right now using a program called Cyberfix to watch everything.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #236 on: August 18, 2019, 05:21:22 AM »
It would be nice to have the OTA option again but for parts of rural America, this is no longer an option. Before the small satellite dishes came out many rural communities had invested in bringing in a handful of OTA channels usually (Networks) but have long abandoned because of upkeep and expense.

With streaming available now and many communities having better internet services, there is the ability to have TV and not get tied into 2-year contracts of $100+ for just TV. 
I'm not saying all will take advantage of it because I still see the majority of people unwilling to change from old school satellite or cable TV. The few I've spoken with and did switch are tickled pink they did.  Not only is PQ better being a 1080P or 780P vs 1080i, 780i they have cut the cost in half.

Not all streaming services are the same so do some research. If PQ and framerate for sports are important. The worst 2 services I've tried are both ran by satellite TV companies so not surprising,  Dish Networks Sling TV PQ and slow frame rate and Directv NOW lack of cloud DVR are at the bottom of my list.

The best currently with included local networks are YTTV followed by PSVUE. Have not tried Hulu + yet.
Randy

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #237 on: August 18, 2019, 07:58:08 AM »
I don't know if this was posted before, but they are a streaming option for local OTA stations if you live in one of their supported markets:

https://www.locast.org/markets/

Don't know if they will be getting shut down in court like Aereo did, but they are an option playing fast and loose with another legal loophole.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline captainjackfan58

• Acurite Atlas/w/ Acurite Access
    • BloomSky SKY and Storm PWS Live Info With Cam
« Reply #238 on: August 18, 2019, 09:58:52 AM »
I cut the cord over a year ago. I use and distribute the Netmaster also! I love it! Pay once and I am done! Got an OTA Antenna also so not paying for satellite or cable anymore PURE STREAMING!
Eye On The Sky Live Hyper-Local Weather Station

Join My Facebook Weather Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/600853683742496/

Here Is My (WU) Live Weather Station Information!
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KOHNAPOL51

Here Is My Bloomsky Sky And Storm
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KOHNAPOL56

Here Is My Bloomsky Live Cam And Timelapse Please Feel Free To Follow Me.

https://map.bloomsky.com/weather-stations/faBiuZWsq6eqn5ij

This is my Acurite Atlas Live Station!
https://www.myacurite.com/#/dashboard

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #239 on: August 19, 2019, 09:08:28 AM »

Not all streaming services are the same so do some research. If PQ and framerate for sports are important. The worst 2 services I've tried are both ran by satellite TV companies so not surprising,  Dish Networks Sling TV PQ and slow frame rate and Directv NOW lack of cloud DVR are at the bottom of my list.

The best currently with included local networks are YTTV followed by PSVUE. Have not tried Hulu + yet.
Randy, I'm still stuck sitting beside a major fiber-optic cable and getting a whopping 3mbps download so I can't say how it will be on a fast connection, but Hulu+Live did ok for me last year during college football season.  It was *not* like watching it over satellite, I don't think the image quality was as good as I had gotten from DISH....BUT, it was good enough for around $45 a month for four months versus $120+ per month for 12 months a year.  I do think Hulu+ would work very well with a good, higher speed connection.  I'm glad you mentioned it as I need to go back in and re-subscribe...not quiet two weeks now and Alabama will be rolling over Duke.  ;)

I think the limiting factor for me with Hulu+ is my connection speed (pay for 3-25mbps from Centurystink, and of course I get 3mb<grrrr>).

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #240 on: August 19, 2019, 09:20:08 AM »

I think the limiting factor for me with Hulu+ is my connection speed (pay for 3-25mbps from Centurystink, and of course I get 3mb<grrrr>).

You know what is interesting in the ISP business. You have cable Internet and you have telco Internet (DSL and Fiber). Between these two types of ISP companies it is the cable companies that under-promise Internet speeds and over-deliver. You always get faster speeds with cable than what they say they are giving you. It makes you feel good...like you got something extra. And it is the opposite with telco companies that always over-promise but under-deliver on Internet speeds. I manage networks all over the country and I deal with just about most major ISP's.....this is just standard operating procedure. It is like the the telco's feel that they have to keep up with cable speeds so they over-promise and then they say ...oh well you are too far from the central office. You are always too far. Then the telco companies invented the fallacy that is shared pipe versus dedicated pipe in comparison to cable as a marketing ploy. I don't like the telco companies much.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 09:22:19 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #241 on: August 19, 2019, 09:37:39 AM »
What burns me up is the "3Mbps to 25Mbps" subscription.  I'm getting 3Mbps and paying the same money that the folks getting 25Mbps pay...seems I'm subsidizing those folks' faster connection speed.  Why not pro-rate it out in 5Mbps increments and make it more fair across the board?  It seems the "internet for the rural area blah, blah, blah" mantra stated that everybody should be up to 25Mbps "soon".  I think it's just a way for the telco companies to get some more tax money in and maybe stretch the slow-speed connections out to more subscriber$.  I still know lots of folks around here that once off the major roads do not have wired internet service so I guess I shouldn't be complaining with what I've got.

I do agree with the cable companies under-rating their speeds and the telcos doing their best to hype their's beyond reason.  Telephone companies are, in my opinion, some of the most crooked companies there are.

Something else that bugs the stew out of me with Centurystink is when I have an Internet connection problem.  I've changed nothing, done nothing, and suddenly I've got no Internet.  Naturally I've already rebooted everything, done this, done that, before I even call them.  But, the guy in Houston, India that I can barely understand wants me to go through everything as he/she slowly searches his computer screen for what to tell me to do.  Me, knowing the entire time that it's the blasted switching station down the road.  :evil: 

Ah well, don't get me started....   #-o :grin:

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline captainjackfan58

• Acurite Atlas/w/ Acurite Access
    • BloomSky SKY and Storm PWS Live Info With Cam
« Reply #242 on: August 19, 2019, 10:38:43 AM »
 :thumbsup: Here Is The Box I Have And Distribute! Check It Out If You Want! \:D/ I cut my cable over a year ago and pulled my satellite dish and told them I was done and replaced it with this Netmaster Box. Believe me I have tried them all. This one seems to be my favorite.

https://breakawaymediastreaming.ecwid.com/
Eye On The Sky Live Hyper-Local Weather Station

Join My Facebook Weather Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/600853683742496/

Here Is My (WU) Live Weather Station Information!
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KOHNAPOL51

Here Is My Bloomsky Sky And Storm
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KOHNAPOL56

Here Is My Bloomsky Live Cam And Timelapse Please Feel Free To Follow Me.

https://map.bloomsky.com/weather-stations/faBiuZWsq6eqn5ij

This is my Acurite Atlas Live Station!
https://www.myacurite.com/#/dashboard

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #243 on: August 19, 2019, 11:16:31 AM »
I'm not sure what type of Centurylink connection I have now.  I only show 1 line connected but speeds have increased. (Doubled) Before I had ADSL + where both lines connected and got 20/3 Mbps (18/3 actual) and the new location even further away from hub 40/5 Mbps (37/5 actual) but only one line connects. Is there something new out? 
My insurance agent who lives 1 block from the hub was telling me he's getting 80 Mbps down. 

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 11:21:42 AM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #244 on: August 19, 2019, 12:50:37 PM »
I'm not sure what type of Centurylink connection I have now.  I only show 1 line connected but speeds have increased. (Doubled) Before I had ADSL + where both lines connected and got 20/3 Mbps (18/3 actual) and the new location even further away from hub 40/5 Mbps (37/5 actual) but only one line connects. Is there something new out? 
My insurance agent who lives 1 block from the hub was telling me he's getting 80 Mbps down. 

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

There are a lot of telco technologies that fall under the xDSL banner. Too many to keep track of them all...ADSL, G.dmt, G.lite, ADSL2, ADSL2+, VDSL, VDSL2, G.fast, Bonded DSL, RADSL...and more. The point here is that it doesn't matter because when speaking to telco customer service they themselves are not informed as to the particular technology because what the telco companies do is instead market whatever marketing name they come up with that is not the real technology name. Every telco is different and they all have decided to adopt different standards and they are different even within the same company depending on region.  The best best telco can offer is what is called FTTP (Fiber To The Premises)...as that is just straight TCP/IP over fiber....basically standard networking without the use of copper lines which requires all that xDSL stuff. So if you want to know what is newer and better the only way to know is to call and ask them what they are now offering in terms of speed and how much it costs. The customer service people at telco companies are famous for correcting customers that they don't offer DSL when they are in fact offering just a newer flavor of DSL which falls into some of those that I listed before. But they aren't knowingly lying, they just have no clue and they are just regurgitating the marketing crap that they are taught.
Tele-Pole

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #245 on: August 19, 2019, 02:49:13 PM »
Centurylink experience is never pleasant dealing with CS. Not curious enough to call and find out how they can give 40 Mbps on a single copper line. Just glad it's available..Knock on wood. Cable here is more expensive and slower.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 03:20:42 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #246 on: August 19, 2019, 03:05:46 PM »
I've changed nothing, done nothing, and suddenly I've got no Internet.
Little OT here, but this happens to me every couple of years and just did a few weeks ago. When the tech came out to the house I told him the first thing I'd check is the coaxial splitter outside the house as I've seen these symptoms before. Sure enough, it was bad and causing the drop outs (nothing like experience). Something super simple to fix that you may want to try (assuming you have a splitter), if you haven't already.

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #247 on: August 27, 2019, 08:54:14 AM »
No coaxial connection, just copper pair wire.  Centurytel has got to be one of the sloppiest companies around...they do enough to "get by".  Nothing innovative, no efforts to improve the system.  It seems (with a rare exception) that the employees consider customers to be PITAs and something they would rather not deal with even though those very customers could save them some time and effort in figuring out issues.

Several years back there was a Centurytel guy that actually paid attention to what you told him.  I had had a recurring issue that was caused by "chip creep" (basically is what it was) down at the nearest switch.  When this guy came by to check things at my house I told him to go down to the switch and check the cards.  He looked at me and said "ok"...and in a matter of minutes it was fixed.  This was after waiting over a weekend for a service ticket to be activated.<sigh>

If I had an option (other than satellite whatever) I'd jump on it in a heartbeat.  Centurystink has no competition which gives them no reason to improve the system...they'll patch the lines and collect the money but little reinvestment happening into the infrastructure in my rural area.  That highspeed internet for the rural areas BS...a bunch of hype and bunk.  I have *no* love for Centurytel.

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #248 on: August 27, 2019, 03:35:50 PM »
No coaxial connection, just copper pair wire.  Centurytel has got to be one of the sloppiest companies around...they do enough to "get by".  Nothing innovative, no efforts to improve the system.  It seems (with a rare exception) that the employees consider customers to be PITAs and something they would rather not deal with even though those very customers could save them some time and effort in figuring out issues.

Several years back there was a Centurytel guy that actually paid attention to what you told him.  I had had a recurring issue that was caused by "chip creep" (basically is what it was) down at the nearest switch.  When this guy came by to check things at my house I told him to go down to the switch and check the cards.  He looked at me and said "ok"...and in a matter of minutes it was fixed.  This was after waiting over a weekend for a service ticket to be activated.<sigh>

If I had an option (other than satellite whatever) I'd jump on it in a heartbeat.  Centurystink has no competition which gives them no reason to improve the system...they'll patch the lines and collect the money but little reinvestment happening into the infrastructure in my rural area.  That highspeed internet for the rural areas BS...a bunch of hype and bunk.  I have *no* love for Centurytel.

I feel for you, I lived in an area back in Arizona with the now-defunct Cableone. Hated them but had no other option other than the expensive cellular rate.

The Centurylink where I'm at now is very reliable, with only one outage I can remember over last couple of years. This is much better than the local cable internet which is more expensive and goes down often and you wait another day for techs to travel from another town and reset the headend equipment.
I'm not spreading Centurylink love just saying some areas it's not bad. Each state actually has a separate headquarter or call center and maybe some are more reliable than others. Sure it comes down to infrastructure too. How old the system is etc.
Randy

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #249 on: August 27, 2019, 04:52:36 PM »

The Centurylink where I'm at now is very reliable, with only one outage I can remember over last couple of years. This is much better than the local cable internet which is more expensive and goes down often and you wait another day for techs to travel from another town and reset the headend equipment.
I'm not spreading Centurylink love just saying some areas it's not bad. Each state actually has a separate headquarter or call center and maybe some are more reliable than others. Sure it comes down to infrastructure too. How old the system is etc.
The service trucks around here keep a garbage can full of tin cans and a big roll of twine on their trucks. 

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com