Author Topic: Anyone joined or thought about Cord Cutting?  (Read 10208 times)

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
Re: Anyone joined or thought about Cord Cutting?
« Reply #175 on: February 12, 2018, 08:39:32 AM »
John, I'm a little confused.  We may be looking at two different boxes.  Are you sure you checked out the Stream+ specs?  It has two OTA tuners along with its streaming capabilities.
Thanks for your efforts, Ed, but am aware of all that. Streaming, to me anyway, is not OTA stuff. It's from any other source that has an app to get shows; e.g., hulu, Sling, Netflix, etc., etc. From what I read on the CM site, and what they told me when I called asking that specific question, OTA is all their box handles (even though it says 'streaming services' on the Google store there are no specifics).
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 09:06:03 AM by jgillett »
John
W7JKG

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #176 on: February 12, 2018, 09:27:46 AM »
I agree about your concept of OTA and streaming.  You are correct (at least correct in my way of thinking. ;) ). 

The Stream+ box includes two OTA tuners.  It includes an OTA DVR capable of recording two shows at once while you watch a pre-recorded show or streaming content.  It has Google Play, which is a "store" of sorts where you can download and install whatever APPS you wish.  Be aware that, though that the apps shown say "FREE" in the lower right corner of their thumbnail that that means the app is free, not necessarily the content the app is used to stream.  For example, the app for NetFlix is free, but to actually use it you have to pay Netflix.   Here's a link to an article about Google Play: https://www.androidcentral.com/google-play-store/home

Here is a link to a list of some of the television apps that is available through the Google Play store...there's lots of them!!!!
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=television%20apps&c=apps&hl=en

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #177 on: February 12, 2018, 09:35:51 AM »
I got an email last week saying the Stream+ should be here probably end of February.
I do like having an OTA tuner & DVR capabilities and have had their DVR+ for almost 2 years.

I'm curious how the Google Live Channel guide will work.  Their guid for the DVR+ works quite well.

This and our Roku will be just what we need.
Tony

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #178 on: February 12, 2018, 09:37:46 AM »
If what they're saying now about apps working with the new unit then that's different from what I was told when I called. I don't recall seeing the 'streaming' stuff when I looked some time ago and was the reason for my call to them. Hmm... Also I'm not a Google person and stay away from anything that's theirs. They are far too nosy.

Thanks.
John
W7JKG

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #179 on: February 12, 2018, 09:51:38 AM »
I understand your feelings toward Google, I don't like them, either, in regards to their eavesdropping and data-gathering.  They're probably the biggest data harvester in the world now.  But, we're talking TV shows now so I'm ok with it. :)

One issue I have with the guide is that *it* is tied to the Internet.  I wish they would include an option for PSIP EPG that is delivered over the air from the television stations themselves.  The ideal OTA DVR, in my eyes, would be capable of streaming content, have two or more tuners, and be able to get programming information off the air rather than needing to be connected to the internet.  That way, if you've got a secluded cabin or you live in a rural area with no internet you can still programming guide.  Of course, the OTA program guides are suspect to errors at times...but so are the Internet furnished guides...but maybe not as much?

We and the kids are planning on having Internet for the foreseeable future, so hopefully the Stream+ will do us ok (as will our Tivo Roamio OTA that relies on the Internet for guide info).

I do have an older ($30) Insigna set-top-box that has DVR capabilities with it...can connect a storage device via the USB connection.  It has a pretty fair tuner on it.  I've got to admit the guide info is good, but the filename setup it uses to record programs is a bit cryptic.  I've also got an older Samsung HD STB with no recording capabilites and it has a very good tuner.  So, if the apocalypse hits we'll still be able to watch it with OTA signals.  :lol:

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #180 on: February 12, 2018, 09:58:20 AM »
Ed, I agree completely about a non 'net-based guide. That's where it should be. I don't have a laptop so using one from the 'net while trying to watch TV would be a huge problem, as would trying to look at one on a phone.
John
W7JKG

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #181 on: February 12, 2018, 10:20:14 AM »
Oh no.  You don't have to use a computer to view the guide.  The guide displays similarly to how DISH's guide displays on the television screen.  DISH pulls there guide in through the satellite signal and the Stream+ or Roamio OTA pulls their guides in via an Internet connection which you would already have connected to stream the streaming content.  Thus, you're still tied to a "feed" of some kind.  BUT, you're not paying a satellite subscription fee each month and the channel guide is riding in piggyback on the Internet that you already have.

If you want a "fail-safe" type of receiver/tuner/DVR that *is* cludgey to operate but operates the guide with OTA guide info then buy one of the small tuner/DVR boxes that plugs up to a USB hard drive.  They are somewhat primitive, but lots of folks use them.  For a backup they are relatively inexpensive at around $35.  I was thinking mine was an Insigna but I think it's an IView 3500STBII instead.  Something like this... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GGVPKKC/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B00GGVPKKC&pd_rd_wg=e0KqH&pd_rd_r=F4EJRAPJ4SCE4TJRR40S&pd_rd_w=qbJwj

But, no, you don't need a computer to view the guide...it will be on your television.  Things will work very similarly as it does with your DISH receiver/DVR in you look at the guide and select programs to record.  In Tivo-land it's called setting up a "One Pass"...you set it, with some options similar to those in the DISH unit and it records according to your selections.  I'm not sure how Channel Master-land actually works or what the scheduling is called...but I think the operation will be similar between all the DVRs with possible wording changes.

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #182 on: February 12, 2018, 01:52:57 PM »
Thanks for the info, Ed. That removes a big question I had (should have known).

The link you provided seems to be a device that converts digital OTA signals to analog, probably for older TVs?
John
W7JKG

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #183 on: February 12, 2018, 02:54:47 PM »
It will receive digital broadcasts and supply the signal to a monitor/tv whether it's an analogue or digital display.  You can connect to a flat screen HD television via HDMI cable or connect to an old CRT television with composite cables.  It simply is supplying a signal to the television similar to what a DVD player does.  The "conversion" is the supplying of the new digital signal to a display, be it an analogue or digital display.  I just recently had my older model of the Iview STBII hooked up to my 32" Samsung plasma here at the shop.  It is simply a peripheral to supply an additional signal to the television...much like a DVD player or a Roku would do...but this box happens to be an OTA receiver rather than a streaming device or a media player.

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #184 on: February 13, 2018, 03:11:49 PM »
I just read about this also. If you have Spectrum, they've got an ala-cart deal on cable.

https://www.spectrumtvchoice.com/
Tony

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #185 on: February 16, 2018, 04:22:46 PM »
John, I just thought I'd mention that it looks like TiVo is back in stock with the Roamio OTA but they've added VOX to it....meaning it has a voice command feature in the remote.  I've got one on a "Mini" and it works pretty good...say a key word or two and it'll find it for you.  Anyhow, the price is the the regular price, no specials right now but you do get a nice voice activated remote included.  FWIW.
https://www.tivo.com/shop/buy-roamio-ota-dvr

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #186 on: February 16, 2018, 07:58:16 PM »
Thanks, Ed. Will check it out.

Ran across this earlier - new, I think... https://aftermasterpro.com/. An audio device that improves sound quality. There are some examples on their site. Interesting.
John
W7JKG

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #187 on: February 17, 2018, 09:51:26 AM »
I'm all for something to help me hear better!!!  But, kind of pricey without really having hands-on experience with it or experience of people I know.  We use closed-captioning (except for college football<grin>) pretty much 100% of the time.  My hearing is not the best, by no means, usually high-pitched sounds are invisible to me (I do miss hearing most of the song birds!  :sad: ) but I can still hear the crows.  :roll:  When I'm in a group of 5-6 people and maybe with background noise (think before or after church services or before or after a school play) I might as well just be a wallflower as it's hard for me to have a good conversation.  This sounds interesting, but I'll wait to hear more feedback on different forums before investigating further. ;)

Btw, hold off till maybe June on the TiVo (if you decide to go that route).  TiVo usually has sales a couple of times a year.  June appears to be around one of those times.  Naturally, Black Friday in late November is usually a good time to buy, too.  The sales are good, too,...usually $100 discounted on the Roamio OTA.

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #188 on: February 17, 2018, 10:54:53 AM »
I agree with pricey. Did you listen to their samples at https://aftermasterpro.com/pages/listen ? Currently the abundance of loud background music in everything is my biggest complaint. It drowns out everything, including voices on all shows. How are we supposed to know what's happening in the story line when it's not audible? Documentaries are even worse. Why is there a symphony orchestra playing in the middle of the ocean or jungle, or even more stupid, outer space?

Too bad the TiVo sale isn't sooner. Would rather not wait that long (and waste more $$ on Dish).
John
W7JKG

Offline Andy G

• Forecaster
    • SunPrairieWeather.com
« Reply #189 on: February 17, 2018, 10:59:17 AM »
Too bad the TiVo sale isn't sooner. Would rather not wait that long (and waste more $$ on Dish).

You can always give Craigs list a shot they are listed occasionally around here.
Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
~Einstein

SunPrairieWeather.com
Davis VP2 24 FARS

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #190 on: February 17, 2018, 11:48:11 AM »
I agree with pricey. Did you listen to their samples at https://aftermasterpro.com/pages/listen ? Currently the abundance of loud background music in everything is my biggest complaint. It drowns out everything, including voices on all shows. How are we supposed to know what's happening in the story line when it's not audible? Documentaries are even worse. Why is there a symphony orchestra playing in the middle of the ocean or jungle, or even more stupid, outer space?

Yeah, there are shows that without close caption we wouldn't watch.  Seems the actors think it's cool to have their on "dialect" and mumble their lines.  :-?

Yeah, TiVo doesn't discount their units very often.  June is another 3+ months away...depends on the window of time that you're looking through.  It also doesn't mean there *will* be a sale then, but historically sometime in early summer it appears to happen.  I think they try to space the sales out six months apart and they schedule around Black Friday.

Remember, that whatever you go with that a Ethernet cable hookup is better than WiFi.  Especially with the TiVo which is known to have very weak WiFi in some units.  Mine is one of those units but I ran Cat5e.  Before I ran the Cat5e cable I had to take an old Linksys router and use it as a bridge (it received the WiFi signal and a short Ethernet cable connected the Roamio OTA to it in order for it to connect to the Internet).

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #191 on: February 17, 2018, 12:42:09 PM »
My router is full so also on the list is a switch. Some things, like the HDHomeRun I was looking at, do not have WiFi. My router is dual band and very strong (a small single story house helps that along!). With 10 devices that need a network connection things can get a bit crowded.

A hard cable is always better than WiFi but not always possible, especially in my case.
John
W7JKG

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #192 on: February 17, 2018, 03:13:43 PM »
Y'all need to weigh the corporate welfare that you are paying to Dish monthly against any potential savings waiting for a sale on a TiVo or other set-top box.  I suspect that you will save money if you to buy now rather than pay hundreds more to Dish waiting for the TiVo price to drop $20.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #193 on: February 17, 2018, 03:25:06 PM »
That is correct and has already been weighed.

Thanks.
John
W7JKG

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #194 on: February 26, 2018, 12:54:19 AM »
Sent TiVo some questions and after almost 5 days no response. They now have my promise that they will not be getting my money.
John
W7JKG

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #195 on: February 26, 2018, 07:37:16 AM »
With the current equipment that you have and PS Vue I think you could get close to where you want to be.  Input your local address at the PS Vue website and be sure about "live" local programming.  And if you want to do some DVRing of local OTA stations then there's the iView box I listed early...it might be good for local news casts, sub-channel recording, etc.,.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GGVPKKC/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B00GGVPKKC&pd_rd_wg=e0KqH&pd_rd_r=F4EJRAPJ4SCE4TJRR40S&pd_rd_w=qbJwj

Rovi (they bought out TiVo) has gotten the reputation since the buy-out of being non-responsive, though that doesn't mean that their product isn't good.  They definitely could use some improvement in their PR/CS departments, though!!!

If PS Vue offers a trial give it a spin and see how it works.  And, it would probably be the least complicated route to go (only a new app to figure out rather than an entirely new box).  ;-)

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #196 on: February 26, 2018, 08:56:46 AM »
Pretty much decided on the Vue app. Heck of a lot less expensive, too. They offer only a 5 day trial but that should be enough. As mentioned I had tried them a long time ago with bad results (along with many other folks at the time). Hopefully those problems have been fixed by now. Also they carry almost every thing I'm looking for channel-wise.

Thanks.
John
W7JKG

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #197 on: February 26, 2018, 09:00:31 AM »
 UU
It sounds like you're on the right path.  And, the OTA antenna will be a very good backup for those "Internet-less" times.  ;)  Let me know how the Vue trial goes.  I'll be needing to have something to go to this fall...gotta have those college football games!!!!   \:D/

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #198 on: February 26, 2018, 09:07:34 AM »
Let me know how the Vue trial goes.  I'll be needing to have something to go to this fall...gotta have those college football games!!!!   \:D/
Will do.
John
W7JKG

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #199 on: February 26, 2018, 12:01:58 PM »
For sports if you are streaming 60FPS is well worth it. PSVUE does do 60FPS, Sing Tv is only 30fps and looks bad. Issue here they don't have any local stations in Nebraska. We are treated like the redheaded stepchild in Valentine.

Directv satellite doesn't even offer locals but we can get distant LA feeds which is actually better than the Dish offered  hick stations out of South Dakota.
I was spoiled getting the Phoenix stations for 40+ years, you don't realize it until its taken away.
Randy

anything