Author Topic: Weewx install was easy  (Read 927 times)

Offline WA4OPQ

• Forecaster
  • 4 stations: 2902 array, GW1000, 3 on Meteobridge
Weewx install was easy
« on: February 06, 2020, 10:05:45 PM »
It was a rainy night and I had some time to kill so I installed Weewx on a RasPi 3B+.  I've had it running 24/7 with a ham radio APRS server/controller and I figured a couple more processes shouldn't lug it down.

I have to say that the online install information is quite good and I'm impressed.

Now I have a lot more reading to do. And I'll have plenty to work on on rainy nights.

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
Re: Weewx install was easy
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 11:06:11 PM »
ha i thought you were going to write a story ...”it was a rainy night the winds were howling as i sit here pondering on the night ahead then suddenly it dawned on me . Weewx had surrounded my curiosity so the next few hours suddenly my mind became immeasurably superior and I proceeded beyond my expectations “

73s OM ... ps not qrv G7LIJ/TA....

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 06:42:21 AM »
Raspberry Pi computers reproduce like rabbits around my QTH.  I strongly recommend getting a second one dedicated to WeeWX, because keeping each app on its own dedicated Pi makes maintenance easier in the long run.

For your next rainy night, I suggest making WeeWX send out APRS wx observations via radio.....  [tup]
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline WA4OPQ

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 12:00:44 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Well, it's changed from rain to snow so I'm definitely staying inside and playing with electronics.

Yes, I will soon add a dedicated RasPi, but this was a fun way to get started.

I'm in the process of promoting an idea of mine, I'm talking to a remote church camp facility to let me install a weather station and use their internet. One of the benefits I'm offering is that they can add a weather dashboard on their website, which is where Weewx comes in

Offline WA4OPQ

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 01:05:52 PM »
For your next rainy night, I suggest making WeeWX send out APRS wx observations via radio.....  [tup]

I've given it thought. It would create opportunities for wx stations in areas without internet.
I'm running YAAC as my APRS client, it only accepts weather data in WXNOW.TXT format.
It'll take quite a few rainy nights to figure out how to do the interface.

Offline WA4OPQ

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2020, 07:04:38 PM »
Update:

I configured my WeeWx/APRS device and now it is sending weather reports to CWOP via ham radio. I'm impressed with this package and on those rainy nights when I'm pondering I keep coming up with new ideas.

So I ordered another RasPi tonight and I'll set up a dedicated weather page webserver on a different ham radio data network.