Author Topic: StrikeStart network to shut down 28-Feb-2021  (Read 2830 times)

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
StrikeStart network to shut down 28-Feb-2021
« on: January 15, 2021, 02:56:59 PM »
I received the following on 14-Jan-2021:

After weighing options, we have come to the decision to simultaneously shut down the two remaining StrikeStar networks in Europe and North America.

StrikeStar will cease all operations on February 28 2021.

I would like to thank everyone who supported and participated in this network and hope to see some of you join the Microsferics TOA network, once we get that fully rolled out lat0er this year.

Rick and Relko

Since WASP2 also uses StrikeStar data, it will no longer work after 28-Feb-2021.   I'm supposing we can just shut off the StrikeLink app (sends to StrikeStar from NexStorm).  NexStorm should continue to work with the Boltek detector locally.. just no sending of data to the StrikeStar network.

They seem to be focusing on their TOA offering (microsferics), and Boltek detectors seem to be harder to come by now.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline CurtisZM

• Forecaster
    • CurtisZMWeather
Re: StrikeStart network to shut down 28-Feb-2021
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 07:39:21 PM »
Kind of a bummer. Have to see what the cost is for Relko's new interface. Otherwise will have to wait for my turn on Blitzortung to get a lightning detection kit. I'm at 1572. Should get one someday.. :shock:....Thanks for the update Ken.

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 07:30:37 AM »
It is a bummer. I had contemplated getting a Boltek, but held off due to its cost. I am curious about the TOA offering, especially since it no longer requires a Boltek, but did not see any additional info on their website regarding pricing, ordering, etc.
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline relko

• Astrogenic Systems
    • Astrogenic Systems
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 12:27:30 PM »
We've seen diminished interest in StrikeStar and lost a significant number of people in the past few years. The European network got two (2) new participants in the past 3 years and the North American network hasn't fared too well either. So the decision to close it now was a no-brainer.

Microsferics has been live since 2015 but due to my engineer jumping ship a year ago, just in time for the big launch, we weren't able to expand the network further at the time. Since then I found a new guy and we are now in the final stages of developing a shiny new and superior TOA sensor system for Microsferics. Estimated launch is during spring this year, providing all tests pan out well.

I obviously don't have any pricing yet but this is supposed to be a low cost option which means affordable to most hobbyists. As such it will end up well below the cost of a Boltek system and probably slightly more than a Blitzortung system (which I honestly don't know the cost of, just guessing here...). The device is shipped pre-assembled, CE/FCC compliant and comes with a proper E-field sensor included.

Also note that this does not affect my long term support for Boltek in any way. As a matter of fact, a new BETA version of NexStorm was recently made available on our support forum and next in line is a StormVue NGX companion app update that includes a replacement for the now defunct Adobe Flash client. Boltek lives on although the market has shifted more towards Africa and Asia these days, so there is no reason for me to abandon this project. Please do not email Boltek asking questions about any Astrogenic Systems projects as they are not involved in any planning or decision making.

Offline CurtisZM

• Forecaster
    • CurtisZMWeather
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 01:44:40 PM »
 So Boltek/Nexstorm will be a local to the users sensor range with StormVue for web page visual? Much appreciated response Relko..

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2021, 07:33:07 PM »
Looks like the data accumulation server (lorickweather.net) has stopped collecting data.  The Strikestar US Status page shows everyone offline, and the last data from my station was seen 02/11/2021 01:31:24 AM, and other stations had last data around that time.

So, it's a bit early, but I've now stopped running NexStorm, StrikeLink, and WASP2 for my sites as of today .. no need to wait for the official Feb 28 shutdown as data is not being collected anymore. (Could be a temporary issue, but with 12 days to official shutdown, there's little incentive to bring it back up again).

RIP StrikeStarUS -- it was fun while it lasted. 
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2021, 07:39:12 PM »
While the basic info from a solitary Boltek was fun and of some general interest, the physics involved made it no better than an ADF in an airplane having its needle point generally toward the storm.  Helpful, but not like TOA stuff. 

I still have my hard earned (I sure saved up to by the first system and software over the next months) and still fire up the computer, but the PCI board is sort of married to the full sized case and what fits.  I never got advanced enough to get into the strikestar but looked at the data.

I would bet that all those who did tinker with it are smarter and in many ways better than they were if they had not.

Now I'm hoping someone comes up with a nice easy kit for a field mill so I can monitor the voltages as the clouds pass over, as a real esoteric hobby.
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline ea1hmy

• Contributor
    • meteotorrelavega
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2021, 12:17:11 PM »
Hello, I have a Toa lightning detector, is there any way to get the data, since I only have a gif that Toa provides me

http://www.meteotorrelavega.com/saratoga/toa.php

Thank you
emilio

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2021, 03:41:42 PM »
Hi Emilio,
The toasystems.com is not associated with StrikeStar/Astrogenic.  The latter has ceased operation of the http://www.strikestarus.com/ now shows a blank page.

For detailed lightning data from TOAsystems.com, you'd need to ask them for the data.. they are producing your .GIF displayed on your website.

Offline ea1hmy

• Contributor
    • meteotorrelavega
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 01:58:35 PM »

Thank you
emilio

anything